Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you record your own music at home?  (Read 7706 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: How do you record your own music at home?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »

What's the cheapest thing you guys can recommend for me? I just want to record a few of my wizard rock songs and upload to MySpace... if they get a good reception, I know a place where I can record on something decent.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 11:10:31 PM »

i  have a home digital recorder from zoom, but i link it to my pc and record with adobe audition and then i use some drum programs like beatcraft to get some drum loops

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 11:12:23 PM »

Quote from: 218
What's the cheapest thing you guys can recommend for me? I just want to record a few of my wizard rock songs and upload to MySpace... if they get a good reception, I know a place where I can record on something decent.

if its only gonna be one track like you and youre guitar id suggest finding a way ot connect youre guitar to youre  pc, maybe even use a mic then use something called audicity its free and easy

liliom

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 10:31:41 PM »

I have A Yamaha mt4x cassette

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »

I use Cubase SX3. I've thought about upgrading, but the new features in the upgrades don't seem to be things I really need. And I've been playing live more, so I don't have time to record my songs as much :-(
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 11:12:42 AM »

At home I have been getting more into my mac and garage band. Can even record through the inbuilt mic....great for doodling.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

FourMiles

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 02:41:03 AM »

Record in my home studio (4th bdrm) using the following equiment
1. KORG D1600 16-track digital recorder. Great machine... very reliable and simple to use.
2. Studio Projects C3 mic
3. Avalon VP737 sp single channel strip... pre-amp, compression and EQ on board.
4. Yamaha ES90s Keyboard synth.
5. Epiphone Les Paul Custom
6. Ovation Acoustic
7. Kramer Bass.
8. WavLab mastering software.

http://www.myspace.com/fourmiles1

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 03:08:29 AM »

Nice, 4 Mile!

To amplify on my post above (Cubase SX3), I go into an M-audio Delta 66 soundcard/Omni I/O pre-amp/breakout box. My mic is an AT 4033a. I've got a Yamaha Motif keyboard. Some UAD-1 processors (in the box). Melodyne for tuning fixes (like Autotune), and I've got a hardware TC Helicon VoiceOne for voice processing.

The equipment is all getting more than a bit long in the tooth, and I am in a constant state of gear frenzy, but in the end I realize that it's not a lack of gear that is keeping me from making a hit record  ;)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »

Nice stuff guys. Love Ovations! To elaborate and flex some more on the studio stuff, got a

Apple Macbook
Logic Express 7, Garage Band. Have used, Cubase, SX, Nuendo, Reason, Cakewalk
Allen & Heath System 8 desk, 16channel
2 x Motu 828
Drawmer, M-Audio, Alesis, Boss, Behringer and Studiospares compression and pre-amps.
Lexicon Reverb FX, Art FX, Zoom Fx, Peavey deltafx. My mac has loads of FX and I particularly like the PSP Compressors and other PSP outboard software.
I got a midi Roland keyboard but my mates Nord is a lot better. lol
Fostex R8 and M8 Reel to Reel machines
The mic aresnal has been getting stronger...just missed out on a cheap AKG C3000 but now have Reslo Ribbon, Sennheiser Bassflex, Shure 57's & 58's, Octava's, AKG C1000, 414B, Rode NT2, PZM's
My recording instruments being mainly Fender Precision 78, Ovation Custom balladeer and my Epiphone Viola bass.

I have now moved this out of home into a lock-up studio. :)

www.myspace.com/thechancersiow

FourMiles

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »

I did go the computer route for a while so I'd be compatible with the standard 24/48 format as it gave the ability to transfer files back and forth across the country.

I make my living with comuters (software developer) and Used Nuendo 2.0 and an RME sound card and also used Logic Audio 5 (last PC version), but went back to the dedicated recorder (Korg D1600) for my own music because it just made life easier ... just my preference

In the real old days (1970), I used a TEAC 3340 4 channel simul-sync recorder. It was the tool that made you work with the bare minimum because there really wasn't much else availabe or at least affordable at the time. No compression, no reverb, no nothing. Just a little box to pan hard left, center and hard right. But it gave you the building blocks for the future.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 05:37:01 PM »

TEAC are a worthy make and I like bare minimum whenever possible. I have had Fostex and Tascam 4-tracks back in late 8's erly 90's and must say it is a more disciplined, no-nonsense approach to recording that I miss. Today seems like anything is an option in editing with all the crazy software out there.

Bobber

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 06:30:44 PM »

Quote from: 15
TEAC are a worthy make and I like bare minimum whenever possible. I have had Fostex and Tascam 4-tracks back in late 8's erly 90's and must say it is a more disciplined, no-nonsense approach to recording that I miss. Today seems like anything is an option in editing with all the crazy software out there.

True. And it usually doesn't make things better.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 01:21:42 PM »

Yep the new technology allows you to cover up mistakes too easily which detracts from the playing but then there is the argument of creativity and vibe to consider. Like The Beatles making their decision to be a studio band, you can see the restrictions in having to perform your creativity live with more channels available than your band take up normally. lol

FourMiles

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »

I agree on simplicity, but to get that professionally mixed sound with added volume, using compression and tweaking the EQ always helps. The Mastering process is an art by itself.

Kicking up the reverb to mask the flaws was an old trick, but too much reverb muddles the sound

If you listen to Macca's latest album and then compare it to an older Beatles recording, you can hear improved technical quality, clarity and at the same time a huge increase in volume. Just better equipment and techniques today.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »

Sure..I'm just getting into a lot of compression use now with live and studio rigs...PLus I just got a reslo ribbon that works! Can't wait to put it to more use.

nimrod

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »

I used a tascam digital 8 track and soundforge for my album, Ive got rid of that now though and have cubase , if anyone wants a simple multitrack programme for free, Krystal engine is great, just do a google for it.

I have various guitars, Les Paul, PRS and a strat but my favourite for recording is a Casio PG 380 midi guitar, I dont use the midi side of it but its so well made and feels better than any Fender Ive played, sounds very strat like.

I have a JD Supernatural Bass

When I was young I had  Hofner violin bass like Pauls , wish Id kept it now.... :'(
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 69 queries.