Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Bubblegum  (Read 32254 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Bubblegum
« on: December 10, 2007, 01:45:05 PM »

I know many people decry todays modern "manufactured" music, but the genre was alive and kicking in the sixties. Most of the songs I remember from that decade fall in to the catagory of Bubblegum. Sugar Sugar is probably my favourite.
A million dollars to anyone who can identify this fallen early 70's bubblegum star.

don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Bubblegum
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 02:00:38 PM »

Easy. That's Leif Garret. He sunk quite deep after the success of I Was Made For Dancin'. I will sent you the details of my bankaccount.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:08:51 PM »

Bastard. How the f*ck did you know that?
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 02:12:31 PM »

8)

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:47:36 PM »

In his better days:

To be serious: the exact same question was asked on the website of a radioshow over here, not too long ago. I must admit that only one or two people knew the anwer.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »

Quote from: 185
I know many people decry todays modern "manufactured" music, but the genre was alive and kicking in the sixties. Most of the songs I remember from that decade fall in to the catagory of Bubblegum. Sugar Sugar is probably my favourite.

Sugar, Sugar is great!

To my ears, there was also a large overlap between Bubblegum and One-Hit-Wonders. What do you think?

60's: Green Tambourine (Lemon Pipers), Judy In Disguise (John Fred and his Playboy Band), I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night (Electric Prunes), Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye (Steam), More Today than Yesterday (Spiral Staircase), Smile a Little Smile for Me (Flying Machine), In the Year 2525 (Zager and Evans), Israelites (Desmond Decker and the Aces), Love Can Make You Happy (Mercy)

70's: TIghter, Tighter (Alive and Kicking), Ride Captain Ride (Blues Image), Montego Bay (Bobby Bloom), Love Grows Where my Rosemary Goes (Edison Lighthouse), Spirit in the Sky (Norman Greenbaum), Reflections of My Life (Marmalade), In the Summertime (Mungo Jerry), Venus (Shocking Blue), My Baby Loves Lovin (White Plains), All Right Now (Free), Oo-ooh Child (The Five Stairsteps), My Belle Amie (The Tea Set), Indiana Wants Me (R. Dean Taylor), Rose Garden (Lynn Anderson), Hey There Lonely Girl (Eddie Holman), Smiling Faces Sometimes (The Undisputed Truth), Mr. Big Stuff (Jean Knight), Chick-A-Boom (Daddy Dewdrop), Put Your Hand (Ocean), One Toke Over the Line (Brewer and Shipley), Precious and Few (Climax), Oh Babe What Would You Say (Hurricane Smith - our very own Norman from Abbey Road ... Beatles first engineer!), My Maria (B.W. Stevenson), Brother Louie (Stories), Dancing in the Moonlight (King Harvest), The Night the Lights Went out in Georgia (Vickie Lawrence), Smokin' in the Boys Room (Brownsville Station), Rock On (David Essex), Eres Tu (Mocedades), I Can Help (Billy Swan), The Night Chicago Died (Paper Lace), Hooked on a Feeling (Blue Swede), Shaving Cream (Bennie Bell), The Hustle (Van McCoy and the Soul City Symphony), Chevy Van (Sammy Johns), Feelings (Morris Albert), Fooled Around and Fell in Love (Elvin Bishop), Play that Funky Music (Wild Cherry), Afternoon Delight (Starland Vocal Band), Smoke from a Distant Fire (Sanford-Townshend band), Black Betty (Ram Jam), You Light Up My Life (Debbie Boone), Hot Child in the City (Nick Gilder), Undercover Angel (Alan O'Day), Because the Night (Pattie Smith), Just When I Needed You Most (Randy VanWarmer), I Don't Like Mondays (Boomtown Rats), Video Killed the Radio Star (the Buggles), Drivers Seat (Sniff'n the Tears), Cruel to be Kind (Nick Lowe).

I got these one hit wonders off this http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/70s.cfm?start=161&sortby=song_year&orderby=ASC site. I skipped a lot that I hadn't heard of, and left some off because I know they had other hits in other genres.

THey're not ALL bubblegum, but (especially in the early to mid-70s), there sure was a lot of overlap!

The soundtrack of my life!  (WABC 770 AM in NYC in my case).
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 02:56:24 PM »

Quote from: 63
In his better days:

To be serious: the exact same question was asked on the website of a radioshow over here, not too long ago. I must admit that only one or two people knew the anwer.

Blimey, you can show pictures on the radio over there? ;D

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »

Quote from: 483

Blimey, you can show pictures on the radio over there? ;D

Sure. It's called internet radio.  ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 03:01:45 PM »

By the way, I forgot to mention the prize is in Zimbabwean dollars, so right now I owe you 23 Euros. God knows what it will be tomorrow.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 03:09:24 PM »

By the way, I forgot to mention the prize is in Zimbabwean dollars, so right now I owe you 23 Euros. God knows what it will be tomorrow.

Very wise. If you delay payment for a day or two Bobber will owe YOU money!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 03:20:13 PM »

Great list Alexis. 2525 is another lost favourite. When I was in a band I wanted to beef it up and do a cover, but the others wouldn't have it. Was it only yesterday......?
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »

Thank God it isn't in old Italian lires. I'll settle for 23 Euros. Or a beer or two whenever I'm in London again.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 03:27:09 PM »

Interesting list Alexis, but I wouldn't call any of these Bubblegum:

Reflections of My Life (Marmalade)
All Right Now (Free)
Rock On (David Essex)
I Don't Like Mondays (Boomtown Rats)
Cruel to be Kind (Nick Lowe)

or one-hit wonders. Unless you're in the US that is. Most of the above had quite a few hits in GB/Europe.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 03:33:59 PM »

Interesting list Alexis, but I wouldn't call any of these Bubblegum:

Reflections of My Life (Marmalade)
All Right Now (Free)
Rock On (David Essex)
I Don't Like Mondays (Boomtown Rats)
Cruel to be Kind (Nick Lowe) I agree, that's why I wrote "THey're not ALL bubblegum, but (especially in the early to mid-70s), there sure was a lot of overlap!"

or one-hit wonders . Unless you're in the US that is. Well, that's why I wrote "NYC" in my post :-) I'd guess it goes both ways as well. Most of the above had quite a few hits in GB/Europe.

Hey BlueMeanie, for us Yanks, how about a list of British 1-hit wonders!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 04:15:41 PM »

A few i like are ,

girl privatecat  " Mississippi "
Peter Sarstedt , Where Do you Go To ( My Lovely )
Fox  " Only You Can "
Rubettes  " Sugar Baby Love "
Jackie Lee  " White Horses "

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »

Quote from: 568
Hey BlueMeanie, for us Yanks, how about a list of British 1-hit wonders!

You're on. There's a lot as you can imagine. We Brits have a long reputation for sending 'novelty' records to No. 1, so most of theses end up being one hit wonders. But I think I'll open a new thread for those. Here's a selection of British one hit wonders:

1960's: Concrete And Clay - Unit Four Plus Two, Elusive Butterfly" - Bob Lind, Fire - Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' - Crazy Elephant, Harlem Shuffle - Bob and Earl, I'm the Urban Spaceman - Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Je t'aime... moi non plus - Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin, Judy in Disguise (With Glasses) - John Fred and the Playboy Band, San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair - Scott McKenzie, Shotgun Wedding - Roy C, Something in the Air - Thunderclap Newman.

1970's: Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now - McFadden and Whitehead, All By Myself - Eric Carmen, Car 67 - Driver 67, Convoy - C.W. McCall, Couldn't Get It Right - Climax Blues Band, East River - Brecker Brothers, I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick, The Lone Ranger - Quantum Jump, More Than A Feeling - Boston, Resurrection Shuffle - Ashton, Gardner and Dyke, Standing in the Road - Blackfoot Sue.

And many, many more!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 04:22:09 PM »

Quote from: 971
Peter Sarstedt , Where Do you Go To ( My Lovely )
Haven't heard that in years. Great song. Though BM is right. One hit wonder doesn't equal bubblegum. It generally requires a severe banality of lyric and more hooks than a Japanese fishing boat.

don't follow leaders

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 05:05:58 PM »

What a great list! Interesting to see that our 1-hit wonders may have had lots of success over there, and vice versa. I've annotated your list of British 1-hit wonders with a few that had more success over here.

You're on. There's a lot as you can imagine. We Brits have a long reputation for sending 'novelty' records to No. 1, so most of theses end up being one hit wonders. But I think I'll open a new thread for those. Here's a selection of British one hit wonders:

1960's: Concrete And Clay - Unit Four Plus Two, Elusive Butterfly" - Bob Lind, Fire - Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' - Crazy Elephant, Harlem Shuffle - Bob and Earl, I'm the Urban Spaceman - Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Je t'aime... moi non plus - Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin, Judy in Disguise (With Glasses) - John Fred and the Playboy Band, San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair - Scott McKenzie, Shotgun Wedding - Roy C, Something in the Air - Thunderclap Newman.

1970's: Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now - McFadden and Whitehead, All By Myself - Eric Carmen These guys had a few hits in the States, one big one called "Please Go All The Way", with the Raspberry's , Car 67 - Driver 67, Convoy - C.W. McCall, Couldn't Get It Right - Climax Blues Band, East River - Brecker Brothers, I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick, Cheap Trick had a few hits on this side of the pond, they were always on the radio for some time The Lone Ranger - Quantum Jump, More Than A Feeling - Boston   Now these guys were megastars here, they had one or two albums where almost every song was an FM radio hit! , Resurrection Shuffle - Ashton, Gardner and Dyke, Standing in the Road - Blackfoot Sue.

And many, many more!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 05:07:36 PM »

Haven't heard that in years. Great song. Though BM is right.  One hit wonder doesn't equal bubblegum. It generally requires a severe banality of lyric and more hooks than a Japanese fishing boat.

As I said in my initial post, not all of the 1-hit wonders are bubble gum, but there is a large degree of overlap. So I agree!

Though I must admit I am sadly lacking in knowledge of the intricate details of Japanese fishing craft.

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 05:14:48 PM »

Thinking back, I'm surprised these two songs weren't on the 1-hit wonder list:

1) Blue, Blue, My World is Blue (mid 1960's, some guy with a French name wrote it)
2) Billy, Don't be a Hero ("The soldier blues were trapped on a hillside ..." , mid 1970's, BIG on NYC AM radio)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 79 queries.