Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sgt. Pepper's vs Pet Sounds  (Read 28740 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Sgt. Pepper's vs Pet Sounds
« on: September 20, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »

All this talk about them being masterpieces and about Pet Sounds' influence on Sgt. Pepper's. Do you think that The Beatles actually managed to top Brian's masterpiece? They both are good, nonetheless, while Pet Sounds has better songs, Sgt. Pepper's has a better concept (if you can call it "concept"), or a better idea for an album. I also believe that both have that fluence, the songs go  perfectly together, in that specific order.Altough Beatles' intended to do that with some of them (Sgt Pepper's - With A Little Help, Good Morning - Reprise- Day In The Life).

My opinion is that "Pet Sounds" is better. I tried to do a song vs song thing (my favourite song from Pepper vs my favourite one from Pet, etc.) and Pet Sounds won by far. I like the songs better, I think they are all very very good at somehow at the same level.If you take Pepper's for example, you can't compare A Day In The Life with When I'm Sixty Four".It's not just that, but I was more blown away by Pet Sounds than by Pepper's. Anyway, I've always considered "Abbey Road" to be the masterpiece of The Beatles.

What's your opinion?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Sgt. Pepper's vs Pet Sounds
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »

Pet Sounds is really great but I still prefer Sgt. Pepper's. Anyway, if you ask me, I think that Odessey And Oracle by the Zombies and Forever Changes by Love are even better than both albums.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »

All this talk about them being masterpieces and about Pet Sounds' influence on Sgt. Pepper's. Do you think that The Beatles actually managed to top Brian's masterpiece? They both are good, nonetheless, while Pet Sounds has better songs, Sgt. Pepper's has a better concept (if you can call it "concept"), or a better idea for an album. I also believe that both have that fluence, the songs go  perfectly together, in that specific order.Altough Beatles' intended to do that with some of them (Sgt Pepper's - With A Little Help, Good Morning - Reprise- Day In The Life).

My opinion is that "Pet Sounds" is better. I tried to do a song vs song thing (my favourite song from Pepper vs my favourite one from Pet, etc.) and Pet Sounds won by far. I like the songs better, I think they are all very very good at somehow at the same level.If you take Pepper's for example, you can't compare A Day In The Life with When I'm Sixty Four".It's not just that, but I was more blown away by Pet Sounds than by Pepper's. Anyway, I've always considered "Abbey Road" to be the masterpiece of The Beatles.

What's your opinion?

Hi 5th Beatle! This is another interesting question. In my opinion, both the PET SOUNDS and SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND albums are masterpieces! I LOVE THEM BOTH! I feel confident that Joost will comment on this thread also. In my opinion, I don't think that it is fair to compare PET SOUNDS to SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND seeing that they are both very different style albums technology wise. Like you said 5th Beatle, it was the PET SOUNDS album that inspired THE BEATLES in recording the SGT. PEPPER'S album just like the RUBBER SOUL album influenced the PET SOUNDS album. THE BEATLES had to do one better than the PET SOUNDS album which would result in the SGT. PEPPER'S album. In my opiniion, I feel that it is more appropriate to compare both the PET SOUNDS and REVOLVER albums than to compare both the PET SOUNDS and SGT. PEPPER'S albums. PET SOUNDS was released on 16 May 1966 while REVOLVER was released on 5 August 1966. Both respective albums were released very close together. I feel that it would be more appropriate to FINALLY compare THE BEATLES SGT. PEPPER'S album with the soon to be released BEACH BOYS SMiLE SESSIONS album. Both SMiLE and SGT. PEPPER'S albums would singlehandedly utilize the same similiar type recording techniques and styles that would revolutionize the music industry forever thus turning the recording studio into an instrument. Sadly SMiLE was never released in 1966-67 in order for it to be compared to SGT. PEPPER'S thus resulting in SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND being the album that would singlehandedly change and revolutionize popular music forever. Then again, this is just my opinion. Take care 5th Beatle.       

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:18:31 PM »

Hi 5th Beatle! If I had to choose between PET SOUNDS and REVOLVER, that would be a very difficult decision for me to make. Please remember, I love the PET SOUNDS, REVOLVER, SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND and the soon-to-be released SMiLE album (SMiLE bootlegs included) DEARLY! Between PET SOUNDS and REVOLVER, I would choose REVOLVER by a fraction of an inch. Between the soon-to-be released SMiLE (Including the SMiLE bootlegs) and the SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND album, I will have to listen to the released SMiLE album (Combined with the SMiLE bootlegs) in order for me to make a fair determination. That's how close it really is. Take care 5th Beatle.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »

Pet Sounds is really great but I still prefer Sgt. Pepper's. Anyway, if you ask me, I think that Odessey And Oracle by the Zombies and Forever Changes by Love are even better than both albums.

Same here.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:07:50 PM »

Hi Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! I'm sorry that I missed your post. I do respect your opinion very much, I do love both the "Odessey And Oracle" album by THE ZOMBIES and the "Forever Changes" album by LOVE very much! Great albums Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! If its okay with you, I would love to add the "12 Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus" album by SPIRIT and the "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" album by IRON BUTTERFLY to your list. Led Zeppelin I & II by LED ZEPPELIN are great albums too. Take care.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »

Hi Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! I'm sorry that I missed your post. I do respect your opinion very much, I do love both the "Odessey And Oracle" album by THE ZOMBIES and the "Forever Changes" album by LOVE very much! Great albums Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! If its okay with you, I would love to add the "12 Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus" album by SPIRIT and the "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" album by IRON BUTTERFLY to your list. Led Zeppelin I & II by LED ZEPPELIN are great albums too. Take care.

I respect your opinion as well. Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus is another album I love, though I wouldn't put it at the level of the other albums I mentioned. Have a great time.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:34:45 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »

What's your opinion?

That's an easy question for me. I like 'Pepper' a lot, but still, the song vs. song thing: 'Pet Sounds' wins 13-0...

By the way, I don't agree with you that 'Pepper' has a better concept. What is the concept of that album anyway? If you leave out 'Sloop John B.' (which was included for commercial reasons, it was originally a stand alone single) and obviously the two instrumentals, than 'Pet Sounds' does have a lyrical concept. Every song describes the protagonist's feelings before, during or after an intense relationship. By shuffling the songs, you can even create some kind of a logical storyline.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »

I respect your opinion as well. Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus is another album I love, though I wouldn't put it at the level of the other albums I mentioned. Have a great time.

I respect your opinion Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! I not only want to add "Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus" to the list, I even want to add PINK FLOYD'S "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" and "Saucerful Of Secrets" albums to the lists. What do you think of PINK FLOYD'S albums Hombre_de_ningun_lugar? Take care.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »

By the way, I don't agree with you that 'Pepper' has a better concept. What is the concept of that album anyway? If you leave out 'Sloop John B.' (which was included for commercial reasons, it was originally a stand alone single) and obviously the two instrumentals, than 'Pet Sounds' does have a lyrical concept. Every song describes the protagonist's feelings before, during or after an intense relationship. By shuffling the songs, you can even create some kind of a logical storyline.

I agree. Actually Pet Sounds is said to be the first concept album, though that has mostly to do with its musical consistency and string of introspective lyrics. And then there're those barkings ("pet sounds") at the end of "Caroline No"; do you think that was intentionally done thinking of the album title?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 10:30:18 PM »

I respect your opinion Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! I not only want to add "Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus" to the list, I even want to add PINK FLOYD'S "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" and "Saucerful Of Secrets" albums to the lists. What do you think of PINK FLOYD'S albums Hombre_de_ningun_lugar? Take care.

I must say that I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd. Maybe it's too serious music for me. But I like The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, especially the first 3 tracks.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 11:22:02 PM »

I must say that I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd. Maybe it's too serious music for me. But I like The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, especially the first 3 tracks.

You're not a fan of PINK FLOYD? How can that be? That's okay my friend, I still respect your opinions. Have you ever heard PINK FLOYD'S "Meddle (1971)" and "The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973) albums? These are both GREAT albums! Both of these albums are masterpieces! Take care. 

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 11:23:21 PM »

as this seems to have developed into a 'which album is better than Pepper' thread Id like to comment, I love all the albums mentioned but IMO none of them come close to Pepper, of course I am a fan primarily of The Beatles and their work for me tops all others, I dont have the same depth of feeling for albums by other bands that I have for my favourite band so it would be impossible for me to say that another bands album is better than my favourite 4 Beatle albums .......Pepper is the greatest album ever made , it is the most celebrated and important album by the most celebrated and most important band of all time, yes I like Love Forever Changes and Pet Sounds and of course I can accept that some people think they are better albums but for me musically they are not as good, I put 5 Beatle albums as the best ever made, then the rest start queueing up behind them..

As a package IMO the non Beatles album that comes closest to Pepper with strength of songs, variation and the x factor that sends you on a journey is Dark Side Of The Moon, also the fact that these two albums sell well 40 years later says a lot.

Its all art though.....and art is subjective, Yes ?

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 11:50:58 PM »

as this seems to have developed into a 'which album is better than Pepper' thread Id like to comment, I love all the albums mentioned but IMO none of them come close to Pepper, of course I am a fan primarily of The Beatles and their work for me tops all others, I dont have the same depth of feeling for albums by other bands that I have for my favourite band so it would be impossible for me to say that another bands album is better than my favourite 4 Beatle albums .......Pepper is the greatest album ever made , it is the most celebrated and important album by the most celebrated and most important band of all time, yes I like Love Forever Changes and Pet Sounds and of course I can accept that some people think they are better albums but for me musically they are not as good, I put 5 Beatle albums as the best ever made, then the rest start queueing up behind them..

As a package IMO the non Beatles album that comes closest to Pepper with strength of songs, variation and the x factor that sends you on a journey is Dark Side Of The Moon, also the fact that these two albums sell well 40 years later says a lot.

How's it going nimrod? I hope all is well with you. In my opinion, the ONLY album that would top THE BEATLES' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band " (Advanced studio technology wise) would be PINK FLOYD'S "The Dark Side Of The Moon." It would take years before Sgt. Pepper's would be topped. What's even more interesting is that Alan Parsons would play a very important role during the recordings of both the "Sgt. Pepper's and "The Dark Side Of The Moon" albums. Parsons assisted Geoff Emerick during the studio engineering of the "Sgt. Pepper's album as well as engineered "The Dark Side Of The Moon" album." nimrod, I take it that you have heard the "I Robot" album (1977) by THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT? What do you think of that album? In my opinion, I think that the "I Robot" album is also a masterpiece! In my opinion, "I Robot" sounds like a typical PINK FLOYD album. Take care nimrod.     
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:45:08 AM by BeatlesForever »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 01:44:40 AM »

You're not a fan of PINK FLOYD? How can that be? That's okay my friend, I still respect your opinions. Have you ever heard PINK FLOYD'S "Meddle (1971)" and "The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973) albums? These are both GREAT albums! Both of these albums are masterpieces! Take care.

I think I've heard Meddle once, but honestly I don't remember it. I'm more familiar with The Dark Side Of The Moon, I may have heard it three times, and I can see why it's so loved, but I guess it's not my kind of music. Pink Floyd took themselves very seriously, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but my kind of music is more simple and innocent, that's why all my very favourite bands came to the scene before Sgt. Pepper's was released.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 01:50:08 AM »

In my case there're not many non-Beatles albums that I would put over Sgt. Pepper's, just those I've mentioned and maybe Who's Next and Let It Bleed. Anyway, my very favourite albums by anybody still are Rubber Soul and Revolver.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 01:53:09 AM »

I think I've heard Meddle once, but honestly I don't remember it. I'm more familiar with The Dark Side Of The Moon, I may have heard it three times, and I can see why it's so loved, but I guess it's not my kind of music. Pink Floyd took themselves very seriously, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but my kind of music is more simple and innocent, that's why all my very favourite bands came to the scene before Sgt. Pepper's was released.

Hi Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! That's fair enough my friend! Believe it or not, you are not alone. I know many music fans that either do not like or cannot get into PINK FLOYD'S music. I respect everyone's views and opinions on their musical preferences, that's the beauty of it all and the only way to be. Take care my friend.       

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 01:55:50 AM »

In my case there're not many non-Beatles albums that I would put over Sgt. Pepper's, just those I've mentioned and maybe Who's Next and Let It Bleed. Anyway, my very favourite albums by anybody still are Rubber Soul and Revolver.

Great choices!

nimrod

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 03:26:08 AM »

How's it going nimrod? I hope all is well with you. In my opinion, the ONLY album that would top THE BEATLES' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band " (Advanced studio technology wise) would be PINK FLOYD'S "The Dark Side Of The Moon." It would take years before Sgt. Pepper's would be topped. What's even more interesting is that Alan Parsons would play a very important role during the recordings of both the "Sgt. Pepper's and "The Dark Side Of The Moon" albums. Parsons assisted Geoff Emerick during the studio engineering of the "Sgt. Pepper's album as well as engineered "The Dark Side Of The Moon" album." nimrod, I take it that you have heard the "I Robot" album (1977) by THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT? What do you think of that album? In my opinion, I think that the "I Robot" album is also a masterpiece! In my opinion, "I Robot" sounds like a typical PINK FLOYD album. Take care nimrod.     

Im very well thanks mate  :)

Im not a massive fan of Floyd, in fact I dont like some of their albums like Meddle, Saucerful etc I never got into that SpaceProg groove where they would jam on Gminor for 25 minutes looking like they were tripping on acid but DSOTM is class, its what made them massive probably the 3rd biggest band ever in terms of album sales and huge concert crowds, even now they could fill any football stadium 2 or 3 nights.
Yes I like I Robot but probably not as much as you, very much a studio project, I prefer bands like King Crimson or Yes who could play their albums live and really kick ass, are you familiar with the German Pink Floyd......Eloy, they made some great Floydian style albums, sometimes better than Floyd  ;D

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 03:47:09 AM »

Im very well thanks mate  :)

Im not a massive fan of Floyd, in fact I dont like some of their albums like Meddle, Saucerful etc I never got into that SpaceProg groove where they would jam on Gminor for 25 minutes looking like they were tripping on acid but DSOTM is class, its what made them massive probably the 3rd biggest band ever in terms of album sales and huge concert crowds, even now they could fill any football stadium 2 or 3 nights.
Yes I like I Robot but probably not as much as you, very much a studio project, I prefer bands like King Crimson or Yes who could play their albums live and really kick ass, are you familiar with the German Pink Floyd......Eloy, they made some great Floydian style albums, sometimes better than Floyd  ;D

I've heard of the Australian Pink Floyd and German Pink Floyd but I've never heard their music. I'm going to have to check them out. Thanks for the info mate and take care.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 1.568 seconds with 78 queries.