Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yoko's Vetoes for Liverpool  (Read 1760 times)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
Yoko's Vetoes for Liverpool
« on: September 24, 2010, 10:46:32 AM »

I was surprised this morning to be informed that Yoko Ono has vetoed some of the events we have been working so hard on all year for the John Lennon Liverpool Season. Our intention was always to pay tribute to John and to have his home city really do as much as it could for his memory. When we heard that the American Rock & Roll Museum had conceived and made three capsules we approached them re a time capsule for Liverpool. After some time we were eventually told that the capsule will be sent to John Moore's University. However, we felt that fans would not be able to have access, so we contacted the University and they said they would have no problem, once they had received and registered it, of having it displayed at the Beatles Story to give John's fans an opportunity to actually see it. We are now told that Yoko has vetoed it and will not allow it to be displayed at the Beatles Story.
We had also worked hard with a tie-in with EMI for the John Lennon package. We felt that the visitors to Liverpool during the John  Lennon Season, plus the Liverpool people themselves, should have an opportunity to listen to them at a main Liverpool place and it was arranged that this should be at A Hard Day;s Night Hotel. Meetings were held, everything was set and we are suddenly told that Yoko has vetoed it.
I can't understand why she should veto and object to arrangements which have been made to pay tribute to John in his home city.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

cubanheel

• Getting Better
Re: Yoko's Vetoes for Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:53:40 AM »

That must be so frustrating for you, to have done so much work, with good intentions.  Maybe she could let you know why, at least? Then you could change things around to something she'd be happier with? Or am I just a dreamer....
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »

Maybe she vetoes because she can? Sorry to read all this, Bill. A pity that good intentions and hard work are swept away that easily.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:26:26 PM »

I've had an e-mail from photographer Ged Fleming who says that a couple of years ago we wanted to take photos in Tony Slavin's barber shop, formerly Bioletti's in Penny Lane, but was told he couldn't because it might upset Yoko. The idea of the Season in tribute to John was to focus on John's life in Liverpool, therefore it was Cynthia and Julian who were chosen to be the guests to launch the John Lennon permanent memorial in Chevasse Park. Perhaps Yoko didn't like that.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:58:26 PM »

I'm getting a lot of response on my Mersey Beat Facebook pages re the veto Yoko has put on the Beatles Story displaying the Time Capsule and her preventing EMI promoting John's new package at A Hard Day's Night in Liverpool. The hotel only wanted to promote John's music throughout the two month John Lennon Season and the Beatles Story only wanted John's fans to be able to have access and see what the Time Capsule looked like. It's not as if anyone was capitalising on John, they were paying their respects and making tribute.

larainefan

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:22:52 PM »

I am so sorry, Bill.  I would imagine she can be very frustrating to deal with.  She should at least have some respect for your longstanding friendship with John and the other Beatles.  I hope she'll reconsider and all your hard work won't have been in vain. 

Page created in 1.994 seconds with 46 queries.