Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles guitars  (Read 954 times)

The Beatles guitars
« on: April 04, 2009, 03:11:09 AM »

Its always fascinated me, the changing type of guitars the boys used, they seemed to run the gammut of them.

what were your favourites (sounds & lookswise)

I really like the gibson sg sound on the Hey Bulldog video and the Epiphone's as used on Abbey Road, I found the 'wall of sound' feature on 'I Want You' brilliant, surely influencing Bob Fripp of King Crimson?

sorry if this has been discussed before BTW..

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
Re: The Beatles guitars
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:35:11 AM »

i personally have never heard in difference in my sound with different guitars, as the amp creates the overall tone. I do though see a big difference when playing, i love Strats and Tele's and have never been a fan of Gibson's as the strings are usually too tight to the fret board and the really small necks make barring a lot harder

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:01:07 PM »

I play a (black) Rickenbacker 360 and my brother has a Gibson Les Paul. The sounds they make are *hugely* different, regardless of the amp used.

I always loved the look of Lennon's Epiphone semi used during the rooftop concert. That and the Rickenbackers, obviously! Did you know The Beatles deliberately didn't use Fender Strats in public until around 1967 because they didn't want to be associated with The Shadows? I think Lennon and Harrison were both given blue ones while making Rubber Soul, and they were used quite a bit for the next few albums.
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »

Quote from: 1509
I play a (black) Rickenbacker 360 and my brother has a Gibson Les Paul. The sounds they make are *hugely* different, regardless of the amp used.

I always loved the look of Lennon's Epiphone semi used during the rooftop concert. That and the Rickenbackers, obviously! Did you know The Beatles deliberately didn't use Fender Strats in public until around 1967 because they didn't want to be associated with The Shadows? I think Lennon and Harrison were both given blue ones while making Rubber Soul, and they were used quite a bit for the next few albums.

yes you can always tell a strat sound with single coil pickups as on nowhere man. i didnt know that about the shadows though.

George is playing a gibson sg on the bulldog video which you can tell on the record sound.

Page created in 0.896 seconds with 42 queries.