Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What did you think of the reissued Beatles catalog back in 1987?  (Read 6050 times)

Brynjar

• Getting Better
What did you think of the reissued Beatles catalog back in 1987?
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »

I want to ask you, as I was too young at the time (9), when the Beatles catalog was reissued on cd in 1987, what did you think? Did you like the sound? What did you think of the packaging and booklets? Did the whole thing meet your expectations?

Here´s an old article from 2007:
http://www.currybet.net/cbet_blog/2007/04/it-was-twenty-years-ago-todayt.php
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:32:30 PM by Brynjar »
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

Re: What did you think of the reissued Beatles catalog back in 1987?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »

it was nice to hear tracks like Long Long Long without the snap crackle & pop

but on the whole it was quite poorly done, they didn't sound good at all imo and no bonus tracks, the actual packaging also was poor, so on the whole Id say 5/10

Amazing for the worlds biggest group :(

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:56:12 PM »

The first album out on CD was Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on 1 June 1987.  The advertisements read "It was twenty years ago today."

So I bought the CD and a SONY Discman D-5 that day.  The CD only came in STEREO.  I had the MONO LP.  As Kevin said, it was nice to hear the album without the pops but I thought my LP sounded better even when I played the CD through my stereo system.

The jewel box packaging was poor and unimaginative.  They would have done better to just put the CDs in miniature cardboard sleeves similar to the LPs but those boxes were all the rage.  It would be a while before we got box sets.

In those days, CDs were marked:

AAD- Analog recording, analog mastering, digital format i.e. CD
ADD- Analog recording, digitally remastered for CD
DDD- Digital recording, digitally mastered for CD

The 1987 Beatles catalog was AAD and in definite need of remastering.  We waited a long time for that.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 12:23:37 AM »

I liked that the albums were coming to CD. They didnt sound great, but then again, i'm not a fan of the newest remasters either. As for packaging, its a CD and I see no issues with it. At least they came in jewel cases back then. Getting tough for that to even happen anymore.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 01:00:43 AM »

They were okay, the packaging was bad.  A lot of stuff got left out.
I think the 2009s are a big improvement sonically especially the monos.  I just wish the stereos were true digipaks with trays so I made my own. 

What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 01:01:17 AM »

The first album out on CD was Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on 1 June 1987.  The advertisements read "It was twenty years ago today."

Oh, so the cd´s were not released all at once?

I remember when I got into the Beatles.. it was in 1994, I ordered all the cd´s through mail service from the then biggest music retail in Iceland but later regretted it cause I so much wanted the "bread box":

..but of course I was not gonna buy all the albums again to have that box.. but then again.. I wanted that booklet that came with it.  roll:)
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 01:02:48 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 06:31:49 AM »

Here's what I bought on 1 June 1987.  I didn't care much for the earbuds that came with the Discman so I bought the SONY MDR-CD5 headphones which I still use frequently today.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:06:22 AM by Hello Goodbye »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 06:40:13 AM »

The booklet that came with the CD was pretty good because it showed The Beatles setting up to take the cover shot.  It also had a directory of who was on the cover.

This was 1987 and there was no internet.  We were seeing this for the first time.  It was pretty exciting to see those pictures and learn who on the cover we had difficulty identifying over the past twenty years.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 06:51:50 AM »

Oh, so the cd´s were not released all at once?

I remember when I got into the Beatles.. it was in 1994, I ordered all the cd´s through mail service from the then biggest music retail in Iceland but later regretted it cause I so much wanted the "bread box":

..but of course I was not gonna buy all the albums again to have that box.. but then again.. I wanted that booklet that came with it.  roll:)

Sgt. Pepper's was released first, Brynjar.  They made a big fuss over the "twenty years ago today" thing in the ads leading up to the release.  Stores sold out of the CDs quickly that day.

I remember when the "bread box" became available.  By then, I had all the CDs so I didn't bother with it.  But I'm curious about what was in the booklet.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 07:00:09 AM »

They were okay, the packaging was bad.  A lot of stuff got left out.
I think the 2009s are a big improvement sonically especially the monos.  I just wish the stereos were true digipaks with trays so I made my own. 

That's nice what you did there, George!  Pear used digipaks for their Alternate Beatles CDs.  I've always liked that format.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 10:39:44 AM »

That's nice what you did there, George!  Pear used digipaks for their Alternate Beatles CDs.  I've always liked that format.

Thanks Barry.  Unfortunately, the spines on The White Album and Past Masters were too narrow to enable the addition of two trays.  And that's really a shame for The White Album since those discs were dang near impossible to get out. 

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »

... no bonus tracks...

In hindsight all those potential bonus tracks were being held back for Anthology. Which was also why those Beatles Rarities albums released in the early 80s were so underwhelming.

I suppose we could take the generous view that they were maintaining the historic integrity of the original albums by only including the original tracks.  ;)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »

I never had problems with the sound of the 1987 CDs; in fact they are still my Beatles catalog since I never bought the 2009 remastered CDs (though I've listened to parts of them). I admit that the quality of the 1987 digital masters is not the "best", but to my ears they sound warmer and more natural than the 2009 ones. Anyway, I did fall in love with the Beatles' music listening to those 1987 records, so they couldn't be that bad.

In those days, CDs were marked:

AAD- Analog recording, analog mastering, digital format i.e. CD
ADD- Analog recording, digitally remastered for CD
DDD- Digital recording, digitally mastered for CD

The 1987 Beatles catalog was AAD and in definite need of remastering.  We waited a long time for that.

I think that Help! and Rubber Soul were ADD because their original masters were remixed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 06:58:32 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 02:35:59 AM »

I think that Help! and Rubber Soul were ADD because their original masters were remixed.

Yes, Sir George Martin remixed the original MONO masters to STEREO.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »

I want to add that i'm not fussy over the packaging. Its a CD and i'm not going to get a magnifying glass out to read the notes. I guess its never been a big deal to me. What did everybody do when cassette tapes were the sh*t?

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 12:46:33 PM »

I want to add that i'm not fussy over the packaging. Its a CD and i'm not going to get a magnifying glass out to read the notes. I guess its never been a big deal to me. What did everybody do when cassette tapes were the sh*t?

I, on the other hand, always think very much about the packaging. It´s always nice to see when bands are ambitious when it comes to packaging.  :)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »

I neither care too much about the packaging. Give me a good album cover and the tracklisting on the back, and I'm happy.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Kagome

• A Beginning
  • Recording Engineer Toshiba EMI & Capitol EMI
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 10:54:02 PM »

I was disappointing that they did not Release the American Beatles until Now They are Ok No much of the fan of UK ones. and the Mixes are different from the American and They have Limited Range You can here the Tape hiss  and You When  high note was hit  You can hear it break up and sound flat. And it  did not sound clear as the vinyl did. EMI was smart to transfer everything Digital. But I like Analog better I think? now  They sound better now then they was first issued on CD

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 05:48:25 AM »

Haha the bread box thing is neat. I was buying up all those 1987  releases individually as a broke teenager then they went and remastered everything on me after I had finally completed my collection :/ thanks a lot Apple.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.523 seconds with 83 queries.