Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What You Think of Him  (Read 5769 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: What You Think of Him
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 06:11:58 PM »

But you were essentially right Sandra. I think I misinterpreted your meaning at the beginning. How old is your friend, if you don't mind me asking?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 10:08:00 PM »

She's 51 or 52. OLD! People often mistake her for my mother for some reason. Heh.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 10:13:50 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
^Haha, I was scared there for a moment, Apps. :)

It's probably easier to relate with someone who is older than you, though. Then you have the baby boomers complaining about the state of society today and they don't even try to look at it through our perspective.

I think also, if you think of 9/11 and how it effected people. I think because you were at such a young age when it happened and I was an adult, it probably had a different effect on us. People your age and a bit younger may grow up looking at the world a lot differently than people my age did. So maybe you guys will try a little harder to make a difference then us slackers. (not that we are, just that stereotype makes me laugh)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2005, 10:34:06 PM »

I was talking with my dad the other day, and my dad (being his usual self) remarked that the "War on Terror" as it's called, is like the next Vietnam, and I said to him, "No, because during Vietnam there were people protesting on the streets and holding sit-ins." I think much of my generation is pretty apathetic about that sort of thing. Not to say that there aren't those who care. There are just so much more restrictions on what you can't and can't do (youth protest-wise). Of course a lot of this doesn't apply to me since I am Canadian and we are some of the most liberal people on the planet, but you get my drift.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2005, 11:13:35 PM »

Maybe people realized they can change things from within instead of just yelling and holding signs up. I don't know. I mean, it did work. Look at MLK and the marches and all. But I think he had a lot more to do with the changes than anything else. He and a few select people that actually DID something, not just talk about it.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2005, 11:18:56 PM »

This is true. And of course now it's more acceptable to question or critisize the government. I don't think a film like Farenheit 9/11 could have been made when Nixon was president.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005, 03:07:05 AM »

I was actually involved in a protest-type thing once. The school board was going to shut down our community's Primary to Twelve school (as well as the others from neighbouring communities) and relace them with a P-3 and three other schools in different areas. We camped out in the school and held rallies and everything for months I think. Well, there was a lot of media and attention brought to the cause but in the end they did shut down the school. No P-3, (instead they had a P-8 and a high school, which I now go to) but I still felt kind of disappointed that we didn't really make much of a difference.

scousette

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2005, 06:41:45 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
I was having a conversation with an older friend of mine that I work with. She's in her 50's, so she was around during the whole Beatle thing and so on. Anyway, we were on the subject of Bono and his political work, and I brought up JOhn in comparison. Well, she sort of went off on how little JOhn did and how she remembers people thinking they were so self absorbed and kind of a joke. NOt that she was saying it in a mean way, but how she saw it. ...

My point is, are we as Beatles fans, making JOhn out to be more of an icon than he really is? I know he is iconic, but I get the feeling I think more people think of him the way we do than there actually is. I don't know. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts countering hers, that I can use in our next 'discussion', I'd appreciate it! I can't stand the whole, I was there so I know and you don't think. I mean, who can argue with that?

Next thing, what are your opinions about his humor? I love it, but I've read things where people he knew thought he was mean and over did it. Mick Jagger for one said he could only take so much of it. I think he probably gave certain people more of a hard time than others. Anyway, I have a few more things I would like opinions of concerning John, (Yoko obsession) but I'll wait to see if anyone even answers these! Lately, I've been fascinated by what people think of the guy.

Getting back to the OP..

I'm around the same age as your friend.  I would say that at the time, it seemed like John and Yoko's antics were a bit much.  Today, they seem absurd but basically harmless.

I think there is a tendency to romanticize John because of the way he died.  He was a great singer, songwriter and Beatle.  His solo work doesn't do a whole lot for me, with the exception, of course, of Imagine and a couple of other songs.

I don't agree with his Yoko fixation...in fact, I can't stand the woman, and I think her influence on him is more negative than positive.  I think overall, he was a very flawed human being.  His mother dumping him to live with Twitchy had to have had a negative effect on him; then, her tragic death when he was getting closer to her, well, I think it had a huge impact on him, but it also provided him with an excuse for some truly rotten behavior toward others (Cynthia, Julian, Brian Epstein, for example).

It has been said that John's humor could range from whimsical to vicious.  Little Richard has said that he couldn't stand John because he was so mean.

John gave us some great music.  Can't take that away from him.  As a person, I think he was difficult (I'm being nice here) and the Yoko stuff is just mind-boggling to me.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2005, 04:50:34 PM »

Have you been taking Wayne lessons, jr?

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2005, 05:08:41 PM »

Have you been taking Wayne lessons, jr?

What's that supposed to mean?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2005, 08:08:32 PM »

Ignore me and my pathetic attempt at humour.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2005, 02:33:49 AM »

There ya go.

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2005, 11:45:37 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
There ya go.

like ringo would say ;D

mathcbox- 'there ya go ;)'

lol!!!

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2005, 10:02:25 PM »

When I read that letter he wrote to Paul and Linda after the break-up of the Beatles, I was very saddened by all the nasty things he said about poor Linda. Kind of ironic that the guy who was always preaching about peace, love and a brotherhood of man couldn't make up with his ex-best friend, who had been his partner for like 15 years or something.

Do you have a link to this letter or something?  I'm pretty curious about it.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2005, 10:31:11 PM »

I don't have a link to it... but you could try googling it.

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2005, 11:20:27 PM »

I did just that, the wonders of google lol.  I found it, I'll post the link so everyone can read it http://www.beatlesagain.com/breflib/letter.html

strawb3rryfi3ldsfor3ver

• Getting Better
  • What filthy ways are these?
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2005, 12:58:21 AM »

Lately, I've been thinking about this, almost in the back of my mind... but I'm feeling vaguely akin to the kid, Jimmy, in the Who's Quadrophenia. You know, he finds out the ace face, big mod hero... just a bellboy. o_o;

Er. Off to go sit angstily on a rock in the sea. D:

[Sorry for the lack of real Lennon context, but it's very true. :O]
[face=Courier]Things they do look awful c-c-cold... yeah, I hope I die before I get old.[/face]
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 74 queries.