Beatles forums > Polls

Who wrote the better songs on Sgt. Pepper? John or Paul?

<< < (6/11) > >>

Toejam:

--- Quote from: NowhereMan28 on February 02, 2012, 03:47:57 PM ---I personally feel that even though the album was pretty much "Paul's baby" as John said, John wrote the better songs on it, and that's including the Strawberry Fields single (which was supposed to be on the album). A Day In The Life, Strawberry Fields Forever, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite, these are all MUCH better songs than Sgt. Pepper/Reprise, Fixing A Hole, Getting Better, LOVELY RITA (album filler), She's Leaving Home, Penny Lane. Although Paul had already become the dominant write of the albums since Revolver, John was still the one writing better songs even if he had given up leadership duties or "gotten bored" with the group.

--- End quote ---

I  think there's only Johns part of ADITL that is greater than anything Paul wrote around this era. Apart from that I think they were faiirly evenly matched for quality but Paul wrote more inc. WALHFMF which is kinda seen as a joint composition but it was pretty much Pauls song from what I can gather.

Toejam:

--- Quote from: Nada Surf on February 04, 2012, 04:18:07 AM ---You can't put Strawberry or Penny Lane on Sgt. Pepper because they weren't on there and we all know what Martin said.
You also can't put Imagine on Abbey Road as it was going to be if it were finished.
However, I think this is a great poll!
I think this is one of the few albums Paul was better than John, but only barely.

--- End quote ---

How do you know John was working on Imagine as early as 69?

nimrod:
Paul wrote some good solid songs on Pepper, but for me songs like Getting Better, Leaving Home and When Im 64 etc weren't in the psychedelic mould that I think the album called for, but take Johns songs......his part of ADITL, Lucy & Mr Kite were quite mind blowing at the time, and thats what grabbed me, like Strawberry Fields, you'd never heard anything like it in 1967, for me those songs are what made the album a classic.

Paul wrote some beautiful melodies (as he did on all the albums) but it was nothing new in terms of genre bending.

Nada Surf:

--- Quote from: Toejam on February 06, 2012, 10:35:15 PM ---How do you know John was working on Imagine as early as 69?

--- End quote ---
I read this in a recent book and I'm ticked at myself for not jotting down where...The author said Imagine and Jealous Guy were initially slated for Abbey Road (admittedly, this is the first I'd heard of this)...I think it might have been the book written about the White Album that had Revolution in the title..I'll find out..again, sorry I don't have the exact details..
I'm wondering if anyone else read this anywhere.

Toejam:

--- Quote from: Nada Surf on February 07, 2012, 09:43:18 PM ---I read this in a recent book and I'm ticked at myself for not jotting down where...The author said Imagine and Jealous Guy were initially slated for Abbey Road (admittedly, this is the first I'd heard of this)...I think it might have been the book written about the White Album that had Revolution in the title..I'll find out..again, sorry I don't have the exact details..
I'm wondering if anyone else read this anywhere.

--- End quote ---

The music for Jealous guy was already written by then. It was written with entirely different lyrics in India but possibly because the lyrics were similar to paul's Mother natures son it seems to have sidelined.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version