Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: U2: good or bad?  (Read 15564 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: U2: good or bad?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 12:10:32 PM »

Quote from: twistandshout
Well, I'm not so sure Biscuit Power. What do we really know? Beyond just talk from the band? And the media?

Well, that's one of the advantages of being famous and popular. If you're Bono, you can get a more done with just a few words in an interview or between two songs than you or I or any other anonymous person could get done in an entire lifetime.

I'm not saying Bono is a saint, but I am saying he's doing a better job in making this world a better place than 99% of his colleagues. And he doesn't have to do this. It doesn't make him more popular, it doesn't make him richer and people wouldn't have thought less of him if he'd never done it, but still he does it. And that's great.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 02:03:53 AM »

He did create the "One" foundation which has donated millions of money to help alliveate poverty. Those millions had to have come from somewhere, probably the band's pockets, since they dont ask for donations. you probably have to actually call up and find out where you can drop off the check if you do.

as for music. eh, the 80s were their huge protest/punk music early on (boy-under blood red sky), then they started to check out american rock, and implimented that in there (Unforgettable fire - joshua tree) and then they started going into the European music (actung baby - pop) and now they've started to go back to their roots. the only weak point would be Zooropa and Pop albums, Zooropa was too European and Pop was too rushed. ATYCLB and HTDAAB (short titles are a thing of the past appearently) are just them trying to channel some of their old energy, and they do it beautifully.

at least they're not as dated sounding as the Rolling stones
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 03:06:48 AM »

well for all of those that dont like Bono or U2, theres some good news. rumor has it that Bono may be leaving the band because he "feels that his politics are becoming to much of a strain on his band and the fans. although he knows his band backs him on what he is doing, he still feels that its straining the band."

hopefully, this is not true and it is still unknown whether its real, but it will be a sad day for this U2 fan if he does leave.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 11:03:19 PM »

Quote from: 373
I like U2 and I think they are good, but I also think Bonos a pain in the ass. I like his music, but could care less about his views on society and the world.

Same here.
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 03:15:35 AM »

Bono can Not LEAVE THE BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!They are not a band without any one of them!!!!!!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 03:17:54 AM »

Bono's never gonna leave the band. Politics or not, it's the music that gives him the power to make a difference and he knows that. Plus he wouldn't screw the other guys over like that.

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 03:20:18 AM »

They almost broke up yrs. ago, though over Religion as Adam ( Bass) isn't as religious as the rest. Hope it doesn't happen , though.

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 05:26:15 AM »

Like Sting , Bono leaves me cold have just never warmed to their personalities , but both have made some good music .
I just switch them off when they starte to talk , i suppose i dislike pomposity and i see that trait in both of them , but their music is ok .

DaveRam :)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 12:22:13 AM »

Quote from: 593
They almost broke up yrs. ago, though over Religion as Adam ( Bass) isn't as religious as the rest. Hope it doesn't happen , though.

yea, shortly after Boy cause they all joined a religious group that told them to dump adam. Drowning Man on War is actually about him.

they also almost broke up before Achtung Baby cause Edge was going through a divorce (which you can hear throughout Achtung Baby and Zooropa) and Adam was becoming an alcoholic or recovering from alcoholism. something like that.

you ever notice that Bono's voice has changed dramatically from boy to HTDAAB or even from like Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby. well i guess all the cigarettes that he smoked over the years forced him to get some sort of surgery on his lyranx and as a result, his voice is really rather raspy. Bono and the Edge also have damaged hearing (or a syndrome associated with damaged hearing) because they never wore earprotection until the 90s so the volume during concerts really screwed up their hearing

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 08:26:40 PM »

yeah never got into u2 as a band they had few decent songs, but never been my thing.

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 11:30:07 PM »

Well, I attended one of their concerts last year, but they are not definitely the best.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 12:40:17 AM »

I like some U2, but not a huge fan though.
Their last couple albums or so haven't done much for me, but I like the stuff before that!  I have to admit I've never been to a live show.
   One reason people have strong feelings is down to Bono being all up in everyone's face with his social and political activities. I suspect some folks just got tired of him and by extension, them.
 However, that's just some folks.. on the other hand, he has brought so many social issues to the forefront of pop culture, be it apartheid in south africa or world debt and poverty or arizona's lack of celebrating martin luther king day. The band single handedly introduced millions of young college students to amnesty international and greenpeace by giving the organizations free ad space on every one of their records. ah, those records...

Reminds me of an old story, where the band's doing one of their big dramatic buildups, and they've brought the music to a slow burn... Bono steps to the mic and claps his hands purposefully, then steps away. About 15 seconds later, he steps back up and does it again.

After a few minutes of this he intones, "Every time I clap my hands... a child in Africa dies."

A guy in the audience yells "Well stop f**king clapping then!!"
&quot;Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive&quot;

BlueMeanie

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 12:09:29 PM »

Quote from: 761
A guy in the audience yells "Well stop f**king clapping then!!"

Brilliant. I have a thing about famous musicians ramming their own beliefs down your throat. If I go to a gig I want to hear music, not someones personal political beliefs.

I love Achtung Baby, and Rattle And Hum, but I think U2 have become very stale of late.

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2007, 06:50:55 PM »

Half of my heritage being Irish, I find myself feeling a little guilty saying that I'm not a giant U2 fan...I mean I share Bono's environmental & political concerns--as we all should--and I think he's a great singer "In The Name Of Love", "Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For"...but, and I must be MAD to say this, but I've only liked two of all their albums : Joshua Tree & Achtung Baby.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »

hmm, well for those that dont particularly enjoy their last two albums (atomic bomb and all that you cant leave behind) i suggest you check out the bootleg section, i uploaded some u2 boots and one of the albums (unreleased and rare) has some stuff from those sessions that definitely should've been put on the albums instead of what really went on there.

dont worry, i never really liked the last two. only about half of the last album and three songs on the one before that are worth listening to. but i strongly suggest you check those out.

working on trying to get the Achtung Baby demo tapes up but havent gotten a good source yet. so theres those and some tripper, more techno-y remixes of trippy, techno songs there too. the DJ mix is a good album.

(yes, this is a shameless plug) ;D

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 02:25:05 PM »

I probably need to listen more carefully - but my main impression is that most of the material sounds too much the same - like hip-hop.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2007, 05:24:51 PM »

the remixes sound too hip-hopy?

eh, maybe, just sounds like techno-dance beat thingy...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2007, 07:39:10 PM »

Quote from: 343
the remixes sound too hip-hopy?

eh, maybe, just sounds like techno-dance beat thingy...

I think he meant - like hip-hop, it all sounds too much the same. Not that it sounds like hip-hop. Unless Klang has very strange ears! ;)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2007, 09:00:34 PM »

haha, it all sounds the same. i actually knew someone that told me they didnt like U2 cause all of their stuff sounded the same. if you take one song from boy, one from joshua tree and one from any of the 90s albums and can prove that they all sound the same then i will agree with them

theres always a 10% chance they can pull it off, but then again, theres always a 10% chance of something

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 02:27:57 AM »

Yea, I wasn't very clear in my wording. Too much sameness. God bless 'em anyway.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 85 queries.