Solo forums > George Harrison

- * - George Harrison lifesize Marionette creation - * -

(1/17) > >>

Unknown Delight:
Hello Everyone!

Longtime reader of this Forum, but this is my first posting.  I decided today was as good a day as any to join up, as i have something neat i would like to share with ALL of George's fans.

I am a fairly new 'George Fan' and for over a year now have been having a wonderful time exploring his work and personal philosiphy.  I absolutely love his material, and felt extremely inspired to create something to express that joy of discovery.  I have been working on a massive project for the past 6 months to bring his music to life in a extraordinary way, through the form of a LIFESIZE puppet creation.  Having had a lot of experience building and operating string puppets, i decided to create my own 'George' so he could perform many of the later compositions the man himself.

So here he is, 'George Harrison' performing 'Any Road' on banjolele!

Enjoy!

George Harrison Marionette performing "Any Road"

This puppet creation i made over a 6 month period, starting in January of 09'.  He was quite a challange to get together but it was a joy none the less.  Here are some more photographs of him with some additonal comments to provide further insight.

Enjoy!

-

Here is a closeup of George's ukulele.  It is entirely made out of paper, posterbord, and foamcore with a few small peices of wood and metal used in the smaller details. Nylon strings were added for a realistic touch.   It is a exact reproduction of George's own favourite Banjolele, the only difference being i added a custom headstock logo.  This is a wry spoof of the originals' actual logo...and a nod to the namesakes original owner.

-

Here is a closeup of the Uke itself.  The silver areas look like metal, but it is actually just painted posterboard.  Despite the somewhat fragile building materials, this 'instrument' is quite durable.  George plays it by a connecting string that runs thru the body of the Uke.  Without this addition, he would not be able to correctly 'strum' it.

Unknown Delight:

-

Two photos i used for reference showing George with his real Banjolele.

-

-

These are just two of the MANY reference photos i used to try to capture the right 'look' for George from this particular time period ( late 80's /early 90s's period).  I chose this era as it opened up the chance for him to perform not only his solo material, but any Wilbury era material.   

-

-

These two photos give you a better sense of how HUGE George is.  Lifesize indeed!  He is so tall, the only way he can properly perform is by being seated in a chair. 

-

A closer view of that famous smile of his....

-

This photo shows a alternative angle, showing a nice view of his hands.  There were created to correct scale by using the famous 'handprint' image from the cover of George's album 'Living in the Material World'.  They were soft-sculpted out of nylon fabric with a styrofoam base.  Hard bendable wire was used to insure his fingers could be posed for correct playing positions.

Unknown Delight:
-

Here is a closeup view of George's hand.  Details such as hand palm lines, mounds, knuckles, and fingernails were added for a sense of realisim.  The ring was made out of painted posterboard and molding dough.  The black 'stone' is a rounded peice of aquarium glass.  This ring is a recreation of the one George wore during the time period ( late 80's/ early 90's) and several photos were used for reference.  I call it the 'Scarab' Ring as the sun motifs and Egyptian Scarab beetle motives are clearly visable of both the real ring, and this recreation.

-

I hope you enjoyed this introduction to 'George'.  In the future i will be producing more videos of his performances, as he also does a lovely version of 'Picses Fish' and 'Devil in the Deep Blue Sea'.

I will update here when that time comes.

IN the meantime...ENJOY the 1st video! 

- * - * - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE THIS LINK and these PHOTOS with other George related websites.  - * - * -

SPREAD THE LOVE of GEORGE and his WONDERFUL MUSIC!

This project was done to give some joy and fun to George's many admirers, and the more of them out there that see this the better!   This project was not done for my benefit, it was done solely as a interesting and entertaining way to introduce, re-introduce, and enchance in a creative way George's wonderful persona and musical messages.

I am also accepting any song requests you would like to see him perform in future video performances.  Feel free to post them here, or PM in private.

:D

BlueMeanie:
Absolutely amazing work. I was going to make some witty comment - as is my wont - until I scrolled down and saw all the work, and the size of him! What dedication!

JimmyMcCullochFan:
Agreed. Stunning and quite impressive. The man himself would be quite proud of your efforts. Are you on myspace? You should message thenewno2 so Dhani can know about it. I am sure he'd be thrilled.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version