Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - The Beatles  (Read 32677 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Beatles under a microscope - The Beatles
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 12:34:19 AM »

the white album......you don't get many good doubles,but this is the best.come on now guys,don't go stripping it down to a single!!this is by far the most interesting record in the beatle cannon.'the tension album'.

Again, I never realized how much of this album I disliked. I truly never realized that until this review. I can accept the most interesting part I guess, but it clearly isnt the best.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »

Whilst it was fantastic when it was released I have thought over the years that it would be better as a single, I just dont like half the tracks, so I agree with George Martin.

My single album would consist of;

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence
Im so tired
Glass Onion
Julia
Obla Di
Martha My Dear

Gently Weeps
Blackbird
Savoy truffle
Cry Baby Cry
Helter Skelter
I Will
Goodnight

For me that wouldve been a very strong album, sorry guys theres too much dross on the double....

I wouldnt even try to break it down into a single because my tastes arent what anybody else is looking for. In another words, I wouldnt even know where to begin.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 12:38:36 AM »

the white album......you don't get many good doubles,but this is the best.

I think that as a double album the White Album is up there with Tommy, Quadrophenia and Exile On Main Street. Probably Tommy is my favourite double album, but the White Album is probably the most eclectic album ever.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 12:52:27 AM »

Give me Physical Grafitti if we're choosing double albums.

Thinking about the White Album, it always seems to be in the CD player (at least one of them) because i'm always looking for a certain song or a certain something for somebody, but I never just listen to it all. Give it credit though for being interesting enough that its probably one of the most played CD;s in the catalog for me (for one reason or another).

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 03:37:19 AM »

Why Don’t We Do It In The Road - Another one of the Beatles most embarrassing moments is right here. This sucks. Thankfully Paul left it short. The piano and bass isn’t bad. Hate Pauls voice. I do like the electric guitar tone. Drums sounds awful. 1:17 cool bass part. Terrible, terrible song.

Why Don't We Do It In The Road?- Why didn't they leave it in the road...for the garbage collectors?

It's just an exercise in 12-bar blues.  I like it.

I like Paul's alternate take even more...

The Beatles - Why Don't We Do It in the Road [Version]

I can stay till it's time to go

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 07:46:20 AM »

physical graffitti drags a lot for me,it's at a slow pace.never had time for exile....if you're gonna say the white album has some crap on,then lets not go onto the stones album.tommy and quad are fantastic but are both 'opera' with a storyline.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 08:14:09 AM »

The White Album was what it was, and it is what it is. As Beatles fans, I think we should be defending what (in my opinion) is the boys' masterpiece, not slagging it off and saying that 50% is superfluous.

For me its nowhere near their masterpiece and all art is subjective, one mans dross is another mans masterpiece  ha2ha

I think tracks like No9, Wild Honey Pie, Rocky R, Dont Pass Me By, Piggies are just horrible, but hey its just an opinion and its interesting to read other peoples..

BTW I hate Exile on Maine St, I think its way overrated, like most of the Stones stuff is  ;D

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 09:04:17 AM »

all art is subjective, one mans dross is another mans masterpiece  ha2ha

Agreed  ;D

BTW I hate Exile on Maine St, I think its way overrated

Agreed again  ;D

The Beatles had set such unfeasibly high standards with their past work, so of course something like Rocky Raccoon does look like "dross" alongside Day In The Life or whatever.
But I bet if a band like Hermans Hermits had written Rocky, they would have had it out as a single, and it would have been a hit for them.
In fact, Ob-la-di Ob-la-da is one of my least favourites on the White Album, but there was a group called Marmalade covered it in 1969 and it reached number one in the UK.
So, what's "dross" for the Beatles is gold to someone else!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:15:41 AM by peterbell1 »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »

I like Exile too.  ha2ha

Bobber

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »

In fact, Ob-la-di Ob-la-da is one of my least favourites on the White Album, but there was a group called Marmalade covered it in 1969 and it reached number one in the UK.

It came out even before The White Album was released. Their version was way worse than The Beatles version of the song.

nimrod

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 10:41:45 AM »

Ive always like Obla Di, I have it on my single album white album

There were some songs of Pauls that were just really annoying imo, Raccoon is one, Maxwell is another, why dont we do it in the road ???? what was he thinking FFS  ha2ha

btw Id drop all Georges tracks of the white album, they are just poor imo

Exile is just a load of boring old R & B tripe, they had a superb musician at that time called Mick Taylor who they under utylized, his work on the previous album's 'Can You Hear Me Knocking' was superb, so good in fact that it p*ssed of the glimmer twins and the never gave him his songwriter credits, in the end Mick (T) got sick of those 2 boring farts and left..

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »

georges' stuff getting a slating?well....as i've said before,'piggies' is about the british government,george had a perma bee in his bonnett about them.so the 'little piggies' are the general public and the 'bigger piggies' are the government.the song makes far more sense when you know this.'long,long,long' is beautiful,one about georges' faith in the Lord.'wmggw' is one where you like it or you don't,i like the album version and the anthology version.the lyrics are good in my opinion.'savoy truffle' has long been a guilty pleasure of mine,i think the groove is great,it skips along lovely.o.k,the lyrics aren't so strong but the song is nice in my opinion.and talking of 'guilty',if that would have gone on the album it would have made an even stronger record,would it not?'not guilty' is great!!

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »

BTW I hate Exile on Maine St, I think its way overrated, like most of the Stones stuff is  ;D

It took me time to dig Exile On Main Street, but now I like it quite a lot. As every double album, it has several fillers, but tracks like "Tumbling Dice", "Torn And Frayed", "Loving Cup", "All Down The Line" and "Shine A Light" are really great. Anyway, I agree that it's an overrated album, I prefer several other Stones' records, like Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and even Aftermath and Between The Buttons.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »

and talking of 'guilty',if that would have gone on the album it would have made an even stronger record,would it not?'not guilty' is great!!

I love 'Not Guilty' and I wish it had made the album. I admit though that I love the Beatles version, but Georges solo effort, not so much.

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »

georges' stuff getting a slating?well....as i've said before,'piggies' is about the british government,george had a perma bee in his bonnett about them.so the 'little piggies' are the general public and the 'bigger piggies' are the government.the song makes far more sense when you know this.'long,long,long' is beautiful,one about georges' faith in the Lord.'wmggw' is one where you like it or you don't,i like the album version and the anthology version.the lyrics are good in my opinion.'savoy truffle' has long been a guilty pleasure of mine,i think the groove is great,it skips along lovely.o.k,the lyrics aren't so strong but the song is nice in my opinion.and talking of 'guilty',if that would have gone on the album it would have made an even stronger record,would it not?'not guilty' is great!!

I always believed it was about the police, a very common name for them in the late 60's was 'pigs'

anyway GA its good you like Georges songs on there but I just dont think they are strong enough songs to be Beatle songs, he wrote 2 classics for Abbey Rd but seriously can you call any on the white album classics ? some would say WMGGW is but  I just dont agree, its another one of those slow George songs that sort of ambles along getting nowhere (until Clapton saves it a bit), at least Lennon & McCartney put some energy and feeling into theyre poorer songs, like Im So Tired and WDWDIITRoad, George sings his like even he's bored !

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 12:53:37 AM »

Actually, I think 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' fits better on 'All Thins Must Pass' than it does on any Beatles album if that makes sense. I just think that it has the same mood or emotion as that entire album does.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 08:47:44 AM »

I always believed it was about the police, a very common name for them in the late 60's was 'pigs'

anyway GA its good you like Georges songs on there but I just dont think they are strong enough songs to be Beatle songs, he wrote 2 classics for Abbey Rd but seriously can you call any on the white album classics ? some would say WMGGW is but  I just dont agree, its another one of those slow George songs that sort of ambles along getting nowhere (until Clapton saves it a bit), at least Lennon & McCartney put some energy and feeling into theyre poorer songs, like Im So Tired and WDWDIITRoad, George sings his like even he's bored !
yeah,i never said they were classics,nimrod.i like georges' white album stuff,it fits,in with the mood of the album.george never did upbeat energy stuff that well.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »

yeah,i never said they were classics,nimrod.i like georges' white album stuff,it fits,in with the mood of the album.george never did upbeat energy stuff that well.

I think this version would have fit in much better on the White Album than the full band one that they used...

The Beatles - "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" Anthology Version

nimrod

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »

I think this version would have fit in much better on the White Album than the full band one that they used...

nah, way too dreary, I guess Im just not a fan of Georges songs, I do like Something though and Im quite partial to I Me Mine (the one with the brass band)

KelMar

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2011, 03:10:09 AM »

The Beatles - "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" Anthology Version[/url]

That's really beautiful.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.908 seconds with 83 queries.