Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - She's Leaving Home  (Read 10340 times)

nimrod

Re: Song Of The Week - She's Leaving Home
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 02:30:10 AM »

Fascinating point... never really segregated the "with other musician" tracks (surprised the list's so short come to think of it - wouldn't "A Day In The Life" count?)

But from your list I'm not mad keen on any of them with the exception of the fantastic "Eleanor Rigby" - head and shoulders above the other five on every level as far as I'm concerned...and more to the point, very difficult (for me, anyway) to envisage how it could have been as good done simply by The Beatles themselves.

ADITL has Ringo drumming John playing acoustic and Paul playing Bass, how could that count ?

REv 9 could count though

I think ER couldve been much better than just Paul and a string quartet

Think this but a bit less heavy and more Beatle-ish

Eleanor Rigby - by ZOOT (Better than Beatles version!)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 04:31:51 AM »

ADITL has Ringo drumming John playing acoustic and Paul playing Bass, how could that count ?

Eleanor Rigby - by ZOOT (Better than Beatles version!)

Ringo's drumming is integral to the piece. Let's not forget Paul's Middle eight which he sang as well. I think george helped with percussion.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 07:06:12 AM »

I don't really get the idea of not listening or enjoying 'Eleanor Rigby' because not all four Beatles, and only four Beatles, are in their respective positions and behind their respective instruments.

The great thing about The Beatles is that pretty much every avenue of creativity was explored from 1962 to 1969 and, with it, every kind of person in the whole world addressed.

nimrod

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »

I don't really get the idea of not listening or enjoying 'Eleanor Rigby' because not all four Beatles, and only four Beatles, are in their respective positions and behind their respective instruments.

its not an idea, its something Ive recently come to realise, that I didnt realise before...... I never listen to songs with a solo Beatle and a n other group of musicians

Thankfully John didnt do hardly any of that

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »

its not an idea, its something Ive recently come to realise, that I didnt realise before...... I never listen to songs with a solo Beatle and a n other group of musicians

This is almost worth it's own thread. There's not too many where a Beatle worked just with outside musicians.

Mother Natures Son had just Paul with someone doing horns
For No One came close, just Ringo on drums.

Aside from that there are the solo efforts. Like Julia, Blackbird and I will. Although I will had John and Ringo doing some percussion

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »

In 1968 I'd have preferred an original like 'The Inner Light' on the b-side to a lacklustre cover or an, at that time, unfinished song (e.g. 'One After 909').
In the 1980s they'd have just put out an instrumental of 'Lady Madonna' on the b-side.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »

Wow. So you're like a Beatle Puritan. Respect. At what point does a song qualify then as a Beatles song? Does a majority presence of 3 count? Will 2 do it? Does a vocal presence count or must they be banging/strumming/blowing something?
The "skip" button on your remote must be worn to the bone.
don't follow leaders

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 04:47:25 PM »

Fascinating point... never really segregated the "with other musician" tracks (surprised the list's so short come to think of it - wouldn't "A Day In The Life" count?)

But from your list I'm not mad keen on any of them with the exception of the fantastic "Eleanor Rigby" - head and shoulders above the other five on every level as far as I'm concerned...and more to the point, very difficult (for me, anyway) to envisage how it could have been as good done simply by The Beatles themselves.

Paul does it every show since 1990 at least.  Just them, maybe some strings piped in, always assume they are doing the strings on the synth.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »

The great thing about The Beatles is that pretty much every avenue of creativity was explored from 1962 to 1969 and, with it, every kind of person in the whole world addressed.

I agree.  Besides, doesn't the majority in music in last 40 years include studio tricks, side musicians on the recording or something other than the band itself? 

Is it fair to say the Beatles and George Martin ushered in that to pop music?  Prior to then wasn't most recorded pop music literally however many in the band being recorded "live" ?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »

Is it fair to say the Beatles and George Martin ushered in that to pop music?  Prior to then wasn't most recorded pop music literally however many in the band being recorded "live" ?

Doesn't Phil Spectre take that honour with his Wall of Sound? And Brian Wilson probably pips them to the post as well.
don't follow leaders

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »

Didn't The Beach Boys tour Britain while Brian was in the studio doing 'Pet Sounds'? The arrangement seemed to work out quite well!

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2014, 08:53:16 PM »

Because I thought you meant tracks where Beatles were outnumbered by other musicians (usually orchestral) and "A Day In The Life" would fit with that. Sorry if I misunderstood you - what threw me was your having "When I'm Sixty Four" on your list, which features all four Beatles vocally and Paul on piano, John on guitar, Ringo on drums and bells.

I'm with you OBS.

"Eleanor Rigby" is such a strong composition it can cope with a wide variety of interpretations (anyone heard the haunting Johnny Mathis version with the creepy backing vocals?  I love that one!) but for me nothing could top the gloriously austere original with those frosty violins and cellos.

nimrod

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »

I have failed miserably to get what I mean across

Move on folks, nothing to see here   :police:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:05:23 AM by Kangaroo Kev »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2014, 12:45:24 AM »

She's not tripping off to Haight Ashbury though, she's meeting a bloke from a garage. It's all so....humdrum...and (I still say) sad... not just for the parents who have smothered her with well-intentioned love and in the process unwittingly driven her away...but for her too - I always get the feeling there is a lot of suppressed affection/frustration which went unsaid - she loves them really but needs to spread her wings - and that final, crushing "Bye Bye" from John just makes me feel she'll never return. So I always find it dreadfully sad, and plausible, and when I put the psychedelic candy-rush of Sgt. Pepper on my player I don't want harsh reality, I want the warm cosiness of Vera, Chuck & Dave and waltzing horses and bright cellophane flowers and to be painting the room in a colourful way on the sofa with a sister or two.... not buggering off into the cold mid-week greyness at 5 a.m.

I've always felt that way too about the song (being a sad send off for the girl), but it never really bothered my enjoyment of listening to it.  I always felt the girl threw everything she had away in life and she never recovered.  This is how I picture her in 20 years except she's poor, the old man left, and she has two kids at this point.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2014, 01:53:42 AM »

This must be a very special song to provoke such discussion forty-seven years later.  Some of us can look at it from both sides having heard the song both as a youngster and as a parent.
I can stay till it's time to go

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »

and as a parent.

bingo.  Totally different song now that I have teenage children.

This must be a very special song to provoke such discussion forty-seven years later.

yes indeed

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2014, 08:24:18 PM »

bingo.  Totally different song now that I have teenage children.

For sure. Now I think..selfish spoilt cow!  >:(

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2014, 09:33:34 PM »

A beautiful number featuring one of Paul's most breathtakingly impressive vocals, I have one major gripe against it. It feels completely out of context in its location.... shattering as it does the gorgeous, multi-coloured trance that is Sgt Pepper with its giant flowers, rocking horse people and waltzing fairgrounds. The lush harp acts as a dream curtain through which we step into....

That's beautifully put. I agree with you: This is a gorgeous song, but for me it has always struck a jarring note on Pepper. That's not to say I don't like the song, just that....well, you already phrased it so well I'll leave it at that.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2022, 09:36:19 PM »

Sheila Bromberg    Harpist on She's Leaving Home

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhC4imHiJUM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhC4imHiJUM</a>

2011 interview

She passed away last year at age 92

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaBPY78D88g" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaBPY78D88g</a>
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2023, 12:02:35 AM »

Sheila Bromberg    Harpist on She's Leaving Home

Barry, I missed this when you first posted it. Thanks for sharing the images. I love the harp on that song. So ethereal!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.735 seconds with 83 queries.