Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fox Hunting (And General Animal Cruelty Issues)  (Read 16804 times)

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
  • Nothing's gonna change my world.
    • Purple Prose Solo Music
Re: Fox Hunting (And General Animal Cruelty Issues)
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 02:43:42 AM »

Yes, it seems our dear human race's desire to eat meat is rather powerful.   :-X
However, if we are going to do it, it needs to be as dignified a process as possible, rather than an abusive and unnecessarily violent one during which animals suffer pointlessly for people to get a sick pleasure out of their place of power.  And thinking about it, if the animals are treated badly and their health deteriorates before they die, surely the meat that we end up eating isn't going to be of very good quality?

Anyway, here's a thought regarding meat eating.  Don't worry, I'm not piling more petitions on you!  Although if you guys do find anything relevant to it (or any of these matters) please feel free to post them up.  I'd just like to bring to your attention a couple of articles about vegetarianism and how it can change our planet for the better - not only to reduce suffering to animals, but also to preserve our planet and its ever fluctuating and fragile environment.

Here are the articles:  http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-greenhouse-hamburger
And here:  http://www.alternet.org/water/134650/the_startling_effects_of_going_vegetarian_for_just_one_day/

The jist of them is basically pointing out how much of an impact the production of meat for human consumption really has upon the environment.  I myself didn't realise it goes to the extent that it does before reading these articles.  Since the emphasis with meat eating is put so much upon the animals themselves, people don't really realise what's happening to the environment during the process of producing meat.  It's not merely rearing a cow, killing it and putting its meat in a packet to sell - the process is long and produces an astounding amount of greenhouse gases which affect the atmosphere to a huge degree, particularly in the production of red meats.  The articles explore the possibilities of people eating vegetarian meals for only a small amount of time, and what impact it could have.  Here's a fact from the second article that might put things into perspective:  "If every American skipped one meal of chicken per week and substituted vegetarian foods instead, the carbon dioxide savings would be the same as taking more than half a million cars off the US roads".  Half a MILLION cars!  And that's taking into account that chicken isn't as detrimental to the environment as beef, for example.  Imagine if no one ate red meat for one day alone - it would reduce our carbon emissions by a bigger percentage, and that's just one day a week.

Just a few thoughts to consider, and I feel as though I can stress this point to anyone who has a normal diet, because you're more capable of pulling this off.  Let me explain; I turned vegetarian when I was fourteen because I didn't want to eat animals anymore, and was going along quite well with it until at the age of twenty, to my dismay, I was hospitalized due to the fact that I have massive food intolerances, as well as a digestive problem, which I didn't know about, and after so many years of battling against foods I couldn't eat (although I didn't know), my body had just had enough.  I now have a completely restricted diet due to these intolerances, which although it makes me quite healthy as I can't just pig out on anything I fancy, is a great hinderance to my life.  What I'm leading up to is that even though I'm a vegetarian by moral choice, I'm now being forced to eat chicken and fish because I'm intolerant to the foods which would give me the vital nutrients I need - I really don't want to eat any form of animal, but it's not up to me anymore.

My point is that a lot of you guys will have normal dietary needs, and can therefore turn vegetarian at the drop of a hat and be perfectly fine with it - so I suppose the articles are more directed at you in a way.  Not that there's any pressure to do these things, of course!  It's just that these articles prove that going vegetarian even for only one day a week can result in a considerable drop in our carbon emissions and if enough people did it, it could really help us along the way to preserving what we can of our world that we've so sadly begun to ruin.  If you feel strongly enough about it, or are just curious, give it a go!  You'll be shocked at just how many tasty meals you can put together that don't include meat - and giving your system a break from tough meats that are hard to digest does you a world of good, so you'll be improving your health too.  Just a thought, folks.  :)

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.
Proud author of "It's Only Love: A John Lennon Romance"!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »

What I'm leading up to is that even though I'm a vegetarian by moral choice, I'm now being forced to eat chicken and fish because I'm intolerant to the foods which would give me the vital nutrients I need - I really don't want to eat any form of animal, but it's not up to me anymore.
you cannot be a vegetarian if you eat the flesh of animals, by definition. Sorry Jai Guru Deva i just don't buy your story about being forced to eat anything, especially the flesh of dead animals, for health reasons.

animal cruelty is uncompassionate. it is inhumane. it is sadistic. it is barbaric. it is unnecessary. it is a complete disgrace to anyone with a modicum of self-respect and humanity within them. animals should not be used for food. animals should not be used for often pointless experimentation. thank you for bringing this cruel bloodsport to our attention.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:18:31 AM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 05:44:26 AM »

For those people who cares I recommend to see a movie `Earthlings' http://www.earthlings.com/
It is about animals and people, about society’s treatment of animals.

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »

you cannot be a vegetarian if you eat the flesh of animals, by definition. Sorry Jai Guru Deva i just don't buy your story about being forced to eat anything, especially the flesh of dead animals, for health reasons.

Hi there.  It's not like I WANT to eat chicken and fish - when I'm alone, I avoid it at all costs, but when my doctor and my mum catch up with me, they always make me eat some.  Trust me - I really don't want to do it, and it makes me upset, but I'm intolerant to so many foods that I can't make up the missing vital nutrients I need without eating chicken in particular, and if I just flat out refused, I would end up bedridden in hospital for the rest of my life.  I'm already in enough of a bad situation - thanks to my body's retarded manner of processing things wrong, I'll never have a pain-free day for the rest of my life.  Every single day is marred by sickness, fatigue, panic attacks and often crippling pain that leaves me bedridden for days as it is.  If I didn't eat chicken, I'd be even worse.  Believe me - I've tried to cut it out, and I manage it for a few weeks, but then my body just crashes and I'm completely useless.  It already hinders my life enough, so no matter how much I fight against eating chicken, the doctors insist that I have to, otherwise I'll be a permenant resident in hospital and I'll never regain anywhere near average health again.  And if it wasn't for the career I'm so looking forward to carving out for myself, I'd take that chance, too.  I'd rather suffer myself than to have animals suffer, but sometimes you can't help what needs to be done.  I'll always maintain my stance against animal cruelty, and despite my physical downfalls, I'll always maintain my status as a vegetarian, even though I can't always carry it out.  In the times that I'm forced into it, I just have to maintain my vegetarian status morally...  I'm sorry you don't believe me, but it's all I can do.

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »

Haha, if only more hunters just gave up like that.  :)
On the subject of fox hunting, a Welsh MP has now challenged the government on its decision not to hold the free vote upon repealing the hunting ban, which I mentioned a few posts ago.  He's pro-hunting, and has decided that it's the government's duty to carry out the vote, as they said they would.  Cameron shelved the vote because he would have been outnumbered, thanks to the wonderful people of the Blue Fox group who've been brought in, and he's also worried that if the ban is repealed, he will be subject to a new uproar from protesters.  Here's to hoping this Welsh MP doesn't persuade him to bring the vote back, and bring all his pro-hunting friends along.  I'll keep you posted if any more news on this arises.

xxx

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »

I think that fox is from New Jersey.
I can stay till it's time to go

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »

Haha!  Judging by his attitude, it's possible!  (Not a swipe at NJ'ers)  :P

xxx

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »

I'm not offended.  I'm from New Jersey and proud our reputation is known across the pond.  ;)

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 04:38:06 PM »

Oh haha!  Glad you're not offended!  Shame our British foxes aren't actually that ballsy, then they'd give the hunters a quite literal run for their money!  Now that I'd like to see  :D

xxx

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »

For anyone interested in learning more about the badger cull tentatively looming on the horizon, here is a brand new video of Brian May on The One Show presenting a mini-documentary he has made about the cull, talking to both members of the Badger Trust and genuine farmers.  Oh, and it might amuse you to know that our poor Brian, for all his wonderful curly locks, has gone completely grey!  It is a sight to see!  :D

Brian May presents Badger Film - One Show 30 Sep 2011

xxx

KelMar

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 10:41:28 PM »

This came in my e-mail today. Hopefully it will have the desired effect. I have known a few puppymill dogs and it's heartbreaking to see the toll which those living conditions can take.

http://action.humanesociety.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=25229.0&dlv_id=29891
Presidential Petition for Pups
Dear Friend,
The White House's official website has a new feature that allows citizens to create petitions to request the Obama Administration to take a specific action. We submitted a petition asking the President to crack down on unlicensed puppy mills by closing a loophole in the Animal Welfare Act regulations.

http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/puppy-mills/laws-that-protect-dogs.aspx
The Animal Welfare Act
The Animal Welfare Act (AWA), a federal law passed in 1966, regulates certain animal activities, including commercial dog and cat breeding. The AWA defines the minimum standards of care for dogs, cats and certain other species of animals bred for commercial resale and exhibition. It also requires that certain commercial breeders be licensed and routinely inspected by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). However, violations regularly go unpunished, and there are innumerable loopholes and faults within the current system. For example, only animal-breeding businesses considered "wholesale" operations—those that sell animals to stores for resale—are overseen by the USDA. The AWA does not apply to facilities that sell directly to the public, including the thousands that now do so via the Internet.

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »

Thanks for that, it certainly is an important cause, and I'm sure it's something a heck of a lot of Americans will want to stand up for - a lot of people get disillusioned about animal welfare when it involves animals that are somewhat removed from everyday life, or that aren't necessarily 'cute' or 'adorable'.  But puppies - now everyone loves a puppy!  :)

xxx

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »

Okay, here's a petition for you all to have a gander at, and it's simple to sign, and available worldwide, so you can support wherever you are.  Basically, the French government have just passed a law that dictates that children don't have the right to be vegetarian; since October 2nd, every school, public and private, across France has banned children from bringing their own lunches to school or going home in their lunch break to eat, forcing them to eat at school, where vegetarianism is not allowed.  Regardless of what the children prefer to eat, or if they have a religious or dietary need, they're forced to eat meat anyway, and if they refuse, they go hungry.  What good could possibly come from implementing this law?  Yes, there might be a health concern, as children need a balanced diet, but putting a government ban upon a child's right to freedom of choice?  That's not fair at all.  The French have essentially made vegetarianism illegal to anyone young enough to be in education, and in my opinion, it's a ridiculous concept, and a matter that's absolutely not for the French government to be dealing with - there are so many bigger problems in the world, and they're wasting their time and causing upset to people by grinding their iron fist down upon innocent children who don't like eating meat?  What a stupid thing to do.  People should have the right to choose what they eat, and just because they're children doesn't mean they're too inferior or uninformed to make that decision for themselves.  And remember the post I made previously about how dangerous the production of meat is to the environment - it's a bigger picture than just choice, too.

If you believe that children should have the right to choose what they eat, and that the illegalisation of vegetarianism in schools is wrong, please sign the petition here:
http://petition.icdv.info/en

Thanks, folks.

xxx

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 08:02:42 PM »

For those people who cares I recommend to see a movie `Earthlings' http://www.earthlings.com/
It is about animals and people, about society’s treatment of animals.
thank you Dmitry. good call. i could only handle about a few minutes of it, it is a real eye-opener.
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »

Whilst I am against blood sports Im not against people eating meat, I believe we were meant to eat meat, didnt cavemen eat Mammoths ? didnt red indians eat Buffalo, didnt aborigines eat kangaroo's ?

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 12:58:26 AM »

Bah Humbug! nimrod you of all people should know that two wrongs don't make a right.
i am definitely against bloodsports.
Paul McCartney - Meat Free Monday Song
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:21:11 AM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 01:01:12 AM »

I already said Im against bloodsports, but not against eating meat

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:44 AM »

I already said Im against bloodsports, but not against eating meat
Whoa! mr. nimrod, that's why i said it. you should research the true history of bloodsports, it is sickening in every sense of the word. and nimrod, there are many good reasons to go vegetarian and vegan. i'm like that Moby guy now, no need to shove my veganism and my ar politics down everybodys throats. but, having said that, there is nothing subtle about eating the flesh of brutally tortured and abused farm animals.
"Most church authorities considered animal blood sports to be harmless pastimes, but this was not true of the Puritans. The Puritans were a Christian group that wanted to change the Church of England. They took power over the British Parliament in the mid-1600s and outlawed baiting and other blood sports for a short time. One Puritan wrote, "What Christian heart can take pleasure to see one poor beast rend, tear, and kill another?" When the Puritans were thrown out of power, blood sports returned and became even more popular."

Vegan Video
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 1.834 seconds with 85 queries.