Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: The Rolling Stones  (Read 64280 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Rolling Stones
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2008, 07:54:08 PM »

Mr. Mustard! I just love that album! A Bigger Bang is fantastic: Rain Fall Down, This Place Is Empty and the song Biggest Mistake is so thrilling and moving as if Mick has himself experienced the thing profoundly and is venting all his emotions and sorrows on us, feeling the deepest regret about his mistake. I am always so carried away with it...The album is very good, I think it can`t be compared to the monotonous works of some newly, or better say, recently emergent groups, such as Travis or Kean or Coldplay. By the end of their albums you find yourself sleeping soundly. Though all these bands are to my liking. But the Great Rolling Stones are way ahead, miles ahead. Mick is incredible!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2008, 08:01:42 PM »

I also saw the Stones play in Oakland (in the smaller indoor arena, about 18,000 seats) in '99.  But I didn't get so lucky with the opener -- Bryan Adams.

I was exhausted watching Jagger 2 years ago.  So much so, that two nights later, the Who (well, Pete and Roger) were playing the Shoreline Amphitheatre (much cheaper ticket, $40 compared to $150 for the Stones), but I was still too worn out from the Stones show to consider seeing the Who.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2008, 09:59:42 PM »

Quote from: 1333
I also saw the Stones play in Oakland (in the smaller indoor arena, about 18,000 seats) in '99.  But I didn't get so lucky with the opener -- Bryan Adams.

I was exhausted watching Jagger 2 years ago.  So much so, that two nights later, the Who (well, Pete and Roger) were playing the Shoreline Amphitheatre (much cheaper ticket, $40 compared to $150 for the Stones), but I was still too worn out from the Stones show to consider seeing the Who.

What do you mean by being exhausted? Were you in the fan area, dancing, singing, shouting so that you could no longer stand it? Did Mick involve you in the show emotionally so much that you needed a break to come round? And is Bryan Adams no good on stage?

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2008, 10:20:01 PM »

never got into them  :-/ i like paint it black and gimme shelter.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2008, 10:23:13 PM »

What about The Girl With Far Away Eyes? One should watch Mick on stage, he is virtuos.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »

Mick can certainly dance thats for sure.  I wish I had half the energy he does.
<br />

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2008, 11:48:47 PM »

I'm not sure exactly 'how' I was exhausted from the '06 show.  I wasn't dancing in the aisles or anything, so it wasn't a physical exhaustion.  But the Stones just emotionally wrung out the audience, for lack of a better description.  Two nights later, debating whether to see the Who, all I could think about it was, Dude, I'm still not quite recovered from the Stones yet.

Bryan Adams in '99: first and foremost, I'm just not a fan of the guy.  He just doesn't do anything for me.  I don't dislike him, I'm just bored by him (which I guess means that by default, I do dislike him; not personally though).  His band was a three-piece, and everything was snow-white: the band's t-shirts and pants, the stage floor, even the drums.  I basically shrugged my way through that set.

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
  • in the middle of the roundabout
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2008, 05:46:22 AM »

This is so random, but Mick Jagger has a huge mouth.
hahah   ??)
"..Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe. Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind.."

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2008, 10:28:05 AM »

His figure hasn`t changed a bit, so upright and thin, that`s why the mouth had to take the blow!  ;D

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
  • in the middle of the roundabout
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2008, 06:20:13 PM »

hahahahahahaahah
"..Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe. Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind.."

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2008, 09:57:57 PM »

Bryan Adams redux:

Yesterday the local rock station was doing their typical weekend triple-shots, and during the afternoon they played 3 by Bryan Adams.

I have to admit, Run to You is a pretty damn good song, both musically and lyrically.  And Cuts Like a Knife isn't bad.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2008, 09:18:13 PM »

And what about - When a Man Loves a Woman, by Bryan Adams ? Incredible!!! Incomparable!!! The best of the best! So romantic and touching! Don`t you think so?

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2008, 10:48:37 PM »

Eh, I prefer Percy Sledge's.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2008, 11:40:11 PM »

Yea I like Percy better.

And yes Mick has a huge mouth, also Steven Tyler from Aerosmith.  They both kinda have the same look.
<br />

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »

Quote from: 1204
Yea I like Percy better.

also Steven Tyler from Aerosmith.  They both kinda have the same look.

Oh GOD no!!! NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!

[size=18]NO![/size]

??)

BTW, how much of a rip off is this pic? They SO wanna be the American Rolling Stones. NOT QUITE. BTW, Tyler doesn't have 1/8th of the sex appeal Mick had/has.

The real thing.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »

Sandra, I agree with you 100% ! Mick is sooooo sexy, while Tyler is...well...not quite.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2008, 10:44:11 PM »

I always looked at Aerosmith -- when they were at their best, in the mid '70s, as trying to bridge the gap between the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin; the Stones in their look and attitude, and raunch, and Zeppelin in their melodies (Dream On, Joe Perry's style of play).

I don't dislike Aerosmith (I have one of their greatest hits albums, with their '70s stuff, which is enough for me), but I was a little dismayed when I saw in the Guiness record book a few years ago that the top five album-selling bands in the U.S., according to the RIAA (Recording Ind. Assn. of America), are (in order) the Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Eagles, and AEROSMITH!

I was shocked that Aerosmith has outsold the Stones (at least in terms of albums) in the U.S.  I know they had their big comeback in the '80s (actually they got way bigger than they ever were in the '70s), but still!  I was slightly less surprised by the high rankings of Floyd and the Eagles, though in their cases each band had a couple of albums that are in the top 5 or 10 biggest sellers ever.  The Stones don't have that one Godzilla-type album like The Wall, or Dark Side, or Eagles Greatest Hits -- their stuff sold steadily but in smaller numbers.  I still think of the Stones as being bigger than all other bands except for the Beatles and Zep, but maybe they're not as popular as I think.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »

The thing is that Stones` music is harder to absorb. I believe they are greater onstage than on CD, so to speak. Every song of theirs becomes outstanding when you watch them perform. Their music is real rock. While Aerosmith is much more pop and they have more catchy melodies. People in the majority prefer pop, or rock-pop, or the like. You are right, Stones are big and great, but less popular - cause they are not pop.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2008, 12:23:53 AM »

I meant in the sense that they have big mouths and also really skinny and somewhat style of clothes.  Wrong choice of words HAHA Mick is way better than Steven!  Steven is starting to look scary like he had a bunch of surgery or something  :D
<br />

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2008, 01:54:02 AM »

Quote from: 1333
I always looked at Aerosmith -- when they were at their best, in the mid '70s, as trying to bridge the gap between the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin; the Stones in their look and attitude, and raunch, and Zeppelin in their melodies (Dream On, Joe Perry's style of play).

I don't dislike Aerosmith (I have one of their greatest hits albums, with their '70s stuff, which is enough for me), but I was a little dismayed when I saw in the Guiness record book a few years ago that the top five album-selling bands in the U.S., according to the RIAA (Recording Ind. Assn. of America), are (in order) the Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Eagles, and AEROSMITH!

I was shocked that Aerosmith has outsold the Stones (at least in terms of albums) in the U.S.  I know they had their big comeback in the '80s (actually they got way bigger than they ever were in the '70s), but still!  I was slightly less surprised by the high rankings of Floyd and the Eagles, though in their cases each band had a couple of albums that are in the top 5 or 10 biggest sellers ever.  The Stones don't have that one Godzilla-type album like The Wall, or Dark Side, or Eagles Greatest Hits -- their stuff sold steadily but in smaller numbers.  I still think of the Stones as being bigger than all other bands except for the Beatles and Zep, but maybe they're not as popular as I think.

Dream On alone got more radio play than the best of any Stone's song. Well, besides Satisfaction. It's like a Stairway to Heaven or Another Brick in the Wall Part II. And Toys in the Attic was pretty huge. And again spawned radio staples:  Walk This Way and Sweet Emotion. Oh yeah, and then that thing they did with Run DMC and the whole eighties sell out come back. A lot of gimmicky and flash in the pan stuff that sold huge at the time.

But yeah, how they outsold the Stones is beyond me. I think the Stones probably kick anyones ass in concert ticket sales though.

Funny, I was just thinking about Pink Floyd and how they became such a monster band. I think that's so awesome that they're in that top five. But not surprised. Isn't it a right of passage for every young budding stoner to experience Dark Side in various states of...uh, what's the word?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Page created in 0.895 seconds with 80 queries.