Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who buys Ringo's albums  (Read 12580 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Who buys Ringo's albums
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:01:47 AM »

I'm a great admirer of Richie. He suffered unnecessary challenging of his considerable drumming talents, partly I suppose because people had to pick on the Beatles about something and he was an easy target.

I do wonder though; who actually buys Ringo's records? While John, Paul and George all have admirers for their work, Ringo never established himself as a songwriter or even vocal interpreter of any note. He's had some good tunes in his time but hardly enough to develop a dedicated following.

I noted that, according to Wikipedia, Ringo's last studio album, Ringo 2012, sold less than a thousand copies in the UK and only a few thousand in the US. Figures many Indie acts would probably giggle at.

So I'm wondering if there's anyone around who gobbles up Ringo's studio work as eagerly as some look for rare George solo demos or Paul's experimental excursions.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
Re: Who buys Ringo's albums
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »

Beatles fans buys Ringo Album ;D ;sorry 5dp

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:28 AM »

I have All his Studio Records only Except few the Best Of Compilations

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:14:04 PM by Badgirl66 »

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »

I dont actually like Ringo's style of music or his singing, I just dont find pleasure in listening to him, therefor Ive never even heard a Ringo album, only his singles.

He's a great drummer though

Sometimes I get annoyed at Paul playing drums on Beatle records, he never was as good as Ringo and the Beatles had a great drummer so Paul should have stayed away from the kit, I think it only served to undermine Ringo when Paul elected to play drums on some songs and to my mind he should never have done it, but Paul always fancied himself as a one man band so he did it, I always thought his drumming was sloppy and loose though.

Anyway I veered off topic there, no Ive never bought Ringo's records.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »

I'm the same Nim. I've liked the odd single and I admire his drumming (and yes, Paul should have stayed in front of the kit) but can't find a reason to want to listen to more than a bit of him singing. And I quite like a lot of Beatle solo stuff.

I think what he's doing with the live act is a great thing for him. It suits what he does best.

Judging by his album sales recently we're not Robinson Crusoe in this.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »

Sometimes I get annoyed at Paul playing drums on Beatle records, he never was as good as Ringo and the Beatles had a great drummer so Paul should have stayed away from the kit, I think it only served to undermine Ringo when Paul elected to play drums on some songs and to my mind he should never have done it, but Paul always fancied himself as a one man band so he did it, I always thought his drumming was sloppy and loose though.

I don't think there were too many of those, Kev.  Dear Prudence, Wild Honey Pie, Back in the USSR, The Ballad of John & Yoko and Why Don't We Doi It In The Road? come to mind.  Ringo walked out on a few of the White Album Sessions which might have contributed to that.

And I'm one of those who feel that I'm Looking Through You was all Paul.
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:58:48 PM »

I don't think there were too many of those, Kev.  Dear Prudence, Wild Honey Pie, Back in the USSR, The Ballad of John & Yoko and Why Don't We Doi It In The Road? come to mind.  Ringo walked out on a few of the White Album Sessions which might have contributed to that.

And I'm one of those who feel that I'm Looking Through You was all Paul.

Yeah I know Ringo chucked his toys out of his pram on the white album but maybe this was because Paul started taking over some of the drumming, Ive always suspected this. (a man can only take so much feeling undermined in what he does)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:15:26 PM »

Yeah I know Ringo chucked his toys out of his pram on the white album but maybe this was because Paul started taking over some of the drumming, Ive always suspected this. (a man can only take so much feeling undermined in what he does)

Wasn't the story that Paul was trying to get Ringo to drum a certain way on USSR. He couldn't quite get it so Paul took over. Causing Ringo to walk out.

I can't recall where I read it but i understand Paul couldn't get the drums right either. Apparently they had to get George and John to help out (again not sure how but I think they had a kit piece each to hit at various points). Basically it took all three of them to replace Ringo. No wonder George strewed his kit with flowers when he returned.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:51:57 AM »

I can't recall where I read it but i understand Paul couldn't get the drums right either. Apparently they had to get George and John to help out (again not sure how but I think they had a kit piece each to hit at various points). Basically it took all three of them to replace Ringo. No wonder George strewed his kit with flowers when he returned.

They shoulda called in Gene Krupa...

Benny Goodman Sing Sing Sing from Hollywood Hotel

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 01:28:25 AM »

ha2ha

that wouldve fit on the white album !!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 01:43:38 AM »

Back In The USSR with a boogie beat!   ;)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »

I have Ringorama. I think it's a great solo album. I've had a few of hs records from the 70's but years later and used record stores I don't anymore.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »

The last solo track I heard of Ringo's was his nostalgia anthem Liverpool 8, which my daughter downloaded. It was a bit cheesy. But enjoyable.  It sounded the type of song that could have been a minor hit.   

I think Wrack my Brain was the previous song I'd heard of his. So I missed decades of Ringo's stuff.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »

I can't believe I'm reading all this....and I'm only semi-joking!!  :o

Surely everyone on a diehard site like this automatically buys all the albums of ANY Fab?

If not... "Y Not"  ;)

Seriously though, many of Ringo's solo outings really do make a good listen as far as I'm concerned. OK, so there have been too many live albums in recent years (I'm just not interested in the rest of the ever-shifting "All Starrs"... and Ringo's repetitive repertoire does - naturally enough I suppose - revolve around the same old core of songs).

Didn't much care for his first two albums nor the mid/late 70s disco stuff, but there are fine moments on "Ringo", "Goodnight Vienna", "Ringo Rama" and "Choose Love". OK so there's the odd duffer ("Vertical Man" soon fell down after a couple of listens and "I Wanna Be Santa Claus" is truly horrific) but hey, EVERY ex Beatle has a very chequered solo output...

"Time Takes Time" and "Liverpool 8" are wonderful and I could (and do) play them often. I like "2012" and I think we're ready for another (proper, studio) album now please.

Anyway, here's the CD version of my Ringo collection - if I'm missing anything obvious please shout up and let me know! (that's the other annoying thing about Ringo's albums, I often learn of their release by accident!)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 11:08:11 PM »

I can't believe I'm reading all this....and I'm only semi-joking!!  :o

Surely everyone on a diehard site like this automatically buys all the albums of ANY Fab?

That's partly why I raised the issue. I'm a huge Beatle fan and I do like lots of  solo stuff by the Beatles. But Ringo has never been someone I've sought out recordings of, even in my youth when anything Beatle related was sufficient for me to be interested.

I guess my feeling is that John Paul and George were singer songwriters with their own styles and who all had very good moments after the break up (as well as some very ordinary moments too). But Ringo to me depended on having good songs written for him or at least co-written with a good collaborator. What he brings mostly is his personality and quirky voice. So I was curious if there were Ringo solo fans in the same way there was for the other three.

It's good to see there is. I'm always glad to see Ringo do well.

And I might give some of his later solo stuff more of a listen now. 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:10:08 PM by Moogmodule »

KelMar

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 11:46:43 PM »

I know all the obvious Ringo songs, the ones with the airplay, but I am not well-versed in his album career. Lately though I've been curious because I've been hearing quite a few songs of his that I don't know, via Pandora and the Breakfast with the Beatles podcast that I listen to. I've really liked quite a few of those. One that comes to mind is the previously mentioned "Liverpool Eight". The titles haven't stuck in my head but the impressions have so I want to listen to his albums to make the songs stick. I hope they are on YouTube. You never know with them.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 01:17:55 AM »

I got all of his studio albums too (cant stomach the All-Star stuff) and enjoy almost all of them. 'Ringo Rama' is still a top 5 solo effort from any of the lads in my opinion. I do need to replace my 'Stop And Smell The Roses' CD though as its in horrible shape and skips due to many a drunken evening. Only problem is the damn things more then $100.00 bucks for the CD, but you can buy the brand new LP's for pennies. Sucks

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 11:43:32 AM »

If someone charming at Apple Corps were to sanction a two-LP-on-1-CD release of 'Sentimental Journey' and 'Beaucoups of Blues' (with 'It Don't Come Easy' and 'Early 1970' as bonus tracks) priced at £9.99.....I'm in.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 02:04:07 AM »

I like It Don't Come Easy and The No No Song.  I found out a few years later that Ringo covered The No No Song...

No No Song Hoyt Axton

Hoyt Axton 

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 03:10:14 AM »

Imho, Ringo has some excellent material - especially on his more recent CDs.  I buy all the studio releases and most of the live All-Starr releases as well.  I'm going to post some of my faves:

Here's the title track from "Choose Love":

Ringo Starr Choose Love 8/12 - Choose Love
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 83 queries.