Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The White album 1987 CD numbered first pressings  (Read 16336 times)

Beatles1975

• One And One Is Two
The White album 1987 CD numbered first pressings
« on: November 13, 2009, 02:50:33 AM »

Hello,
I know that the first pressings of The White Album on CD were of course, numbered with a serial number on the booklet. When it was first packaged in the longboxes obviously with Disc 1 and Disc 2 in there own seperate jewel case. Now as far as the jewel cases go I know there were a lot of numbered copies inside the jewel cases that have the white tray for the disc to sit in (the ones we are used to seeing the most). But did some of the original White Album CD's  first pressings that were numbered of course, have the discs in a jewel case with a black tray instead of white??? Please if anyone has any info on this please get post it. Thanks everyone!  :)

BlueMeanie

Re: The White album 1987 CD numbered first pressings
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 06:53:56 AM »

For a start, it wasn't in a jewel case, but a digipack, and secondly, the numbering system was probably as big a scam as the original.

Yarvelling

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:44:02 AM »

I thought the digipac was for the 30th anniversary special edition release...  I have an original 80's release in a white, dual-tray jewel case, which is numbered on the booklet cover.
Cheers,
Steve.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:08:44 PM »

I thought the digipac was for the 30th anniversary special edition release... 

You're absolutely right! Bit hungover this morning!

Beatles1975

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 11:47:09 PM »

No one has a copy of the 1987 The White Album numbered in the jewel cases with the black trays?? Is this a rare item? Or just harder to find? Was The White Album packaged in the standard black tray jewel cases before the white tray versions??

Yarvelling

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:57:44 AM »

No one has a copy of the 1987 The White Album numbered in the jewel cases with the black trays?? Is this a rare item? Or just harder to find? Was The White Album packaged in the standard black tray jewel cases before the white tray versions??

Do you have a copy in a black tray?  Did you buy it like that from brand-new, or second-hand-perhaps it was a swapped case?
I've only ever seen the jewel case versions issued in a white case (here in the UK, anyway), numbered or otherwise.
Cheers,
Steve.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 07:11:01 AM »

Never seen a black tray either. Makes sense though, as the original vinyl issue came with black inner sleeves. I wasn't aware that the '87 issue was numbered. Novelty value only, I expect.

Yarvelling

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 05:57:44 PM »

"Novelty Value"...... it wasn't much more than that on the original LP's though really, was it? :)
I have a copy of that '87 release which is numbered, and it came with the White tray (UK edition).
Steve.

Beatles1975

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »

Does anyone know what year The White Album was first released on CD  in the double jewel case?? Was it 1993??

Yarvelling

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »

Does anyone know what year The White Album was first released on CD  in the double jewel case?? Was it 1993??

Are you talking about the US or UK release?  My copy is either an '87 or '88 edition (whichever year it was!), is numbered, and is in the white double (fat-box) tray.  I don't know how the first US CD was released; whether in two seperate trays, or a double.
Steve.

Beatles1975

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 04:59:35 AM »

Yarvelling,

Did you buy that White Album in the UK ??

Yarvelling

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 08:47:04 AM »

Yep! It's catalogue number is 'CDS 7 46443 8' & 'CD-PCS7067/8'.  White CD tray, and the 'serial no.' is 36850.
What about yours?
Cheers,
Steve.

Beatles1975

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 02:58:46 PM »

So it is my understanding that in the UK only had  the double jewel case (or fatbox) version of The White Album on CD originally?? So the UK never had The White Album with each disc in separate jewel cases like in the US?? If someone knows please clarify. Thank!

Yarvelling

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »

No, we only ever the one 'fatbox' double white plastic tray. The only differences were the 90's digipack issue, and the recent remasters digipack/replica sleeves.
Steve.

Beatles1975

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 11:34:48 PM »

I was wondering did they package the Beatles CD's in the long boxes in the UK as well back in the late 1980's early 1990's like they did in the US??

Yarvelling

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 08:19:24 AM »

No, CD's were mainly just sold without any external box; just the jewel-case. There was the occaisonal custom box for a specific multi-disc pack, but normally, cd's, Beatles and all others, were only sold in their jewel-case.
Steve.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 11:33:19 AM »

There were box sets issued in the early 90's for the albums, singles, and EP's.

Beatles1975

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »

Hello again,
I need some advice. I recently bought another numbered 1st pressing of the  1987 White Album CD with the 2 separate jewel cases. There is a crack on the back of the case for Disc 2. I know the numbered CD's are collectors items nowadays. I was thinking about just replacing the clear back cover by of course just popping the white tray out and putting the new back cover on. Then again  maybe I should leave it because it is in the original back cover jewel case anyhow even though it has a crack in it. LOL What us die-hard Beatles fans have to deal with. :)  Well just wanted to know what anyone thought. Thanks!!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 10:32:46 PM »

Hello again,
I need some advice. I recently bought another numbered 1st pressing of the  1987 White Album CD with the 2 separate jewel cases. There is a crack on the back of the case for Disc 2. I know the numbered CD's are collectors items nowadays. I was thinking about just replacing the clear back cover by of course just popping the white tray out and putting the new back cover on. Then again  maybe I should leave it because it is in the original back cover jewel case anyhow even though it has a crack in it. LOL What us die-hard Beatles fans have to deal with. :)  Well just wanted to know what anyone thought. Thanks!!

It's just a piece of clear plastic right? No one will know the difference. Anyway, how do you know it's the original jewel case?!!

Beatles1975

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 11:51:31 PM »

Because that is exactly how they were packaged in the US from 1987-1992 or early 1993 in 2 separate jewel cases with white trays.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 73 queries.