Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Strawberry Fields in Central Park  (Read 9042 times)

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Re: Strawberry Fields in Central Park
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 11:04:55 AM »

I never noticed the guy asking who John was! That's f-ing hysterical!!! HA! What was wrong with him??

You'll hear as John moves on

rubbersole

• One And One Is Two
  • take a sad song, and make it better.
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 03:13:52 AM »

I went to Strawberry Fields my freshman year of high school (about 5 years ago) and I thought it was beautiful. :)

Unknown Delight

• A Beginning
  • George Says - "PLay More Uke!"
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 11:06:33 PM »

Timely thread...!

Just found out i am going to head down to NYC this Summer, and one of the spots i would like to visit is Central Park.  SF's is certainly of interest....so i am glad i found this thread.

Now see George Harrison's music come to life in a most extraordinary way....

http://www.youtube.com/user/pizzatimeplayer

Bubby Gnome

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 02:52:58 AM »

I've been many times since I live in New York I love it there its very nice

nufc

• One And One Is Two
    • http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/nufcmichael
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 10:09:02 PM »

its one of the places i really really want to visit when im older and have the money.
Make easy money just by searching!

PetSitterDeb

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 12:50:04 AM »

:)  Hello, before I moved to Florida in 1998 I use to visit Strawberry Fields and the Dakota all the time.  I went back in 2005 when I visited my family in New Jersey.  My cousin has never been and we went.  I placed a card and flowers on the Imagine sign.

It's a very lovely tribute to a great man.  Yoko designed this so despite everyone hating her, she did this and we should thank her.

I am sure on the 30th anniversary this Dec.  there will be a great crowd both at Strawberry Fields and in front of the Dakota.

I was 15 and in High School when I heard the horrible news about John. Been a fan since 1975.  Collected Beatles stuff now for 35 years.

PetSitterDeb

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 09:02:33 PM »

I envy you PSD! I`ve been to Strawberry Fields only once and would like to go there again and especially in December.
I don`t know why but today I suddenly wanted to watch John. And so I`ve been watching his videos and films all day. Johnny was great, his songs are fantastic and very up-to-date. In his short solo work he did develop his own unique style. Listening to his songs is like living them, they are very emotional - overwhelming and delicate, absorbing and touching at the same time. I also enjoy the way he was fooling around and making faces...  :)

MrsHarrison

• A Beginning
  • Have I said something amiss?
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »

I liked it. I'm gonna go back in December, probably bring a candle while I'm at it. I'm sure it will be beautiful, since John has very many loyal fans. ;D

I look from the wings of the play you are staging. As I'm sitting here, doing nothing but aging. While my guitar gently weeps.

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »

Hi  :)
Yeah, I envy you also PSD !! I was 3 days in New York in 1999 and passed with the bus near Strawberry fields. Of course, we had the opportunity to get off the bus, but my boyfriend (unfortunately he's not a Beatles fan) was not interested to see it and so I missed it  :(. I must admit that I regret that deeply since then and first I even felt angry  >:(. Maybe I should have said from the beginning of the trip that I absolutely wanted to see Strawberry fields, but I was a bit uncertain if seeing it would make me sad even more as I'm a very emotional person  :-\. On the other side, it would have been nice to meet other John Lennon-fans. Yeah, Jane: These days I've been watching a lot of John's videos and interviews too, he was sooo funny  :D. I could listen to his songs (with the Beatles and solo) for hours and I'm soo in love with his voice  :P. He will be forever my absolute favourite artist und hero.
 ;yes  Snoopy

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 10:27:05 PM »

I could listen to his songs (with the Beatles and solo) for hours and I'm soo in love with his voice  :P. He will be forever my absolute favourite artist und hero.
 ;yes  Snoopy

Yes, Snoopy66! There won`t be another artist like John.  :)
Sometimes I think, well, there are very many other very good artists. But...  when I listen to John again or watch his personality on the video, I realize that he was special...

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 09:36:07 AM »

Hi Jane !
Yes, you're right  :D. Although I listen to other artists, there is no comparison to John. I enjoy listening for instance to Robbie Williams, but his personality, oh dear... 4ac. I know for sure that no-one will ever have this impact on me like John had and I'm happy about that  :).
Snoopy

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 02:09:28 AM »

Paul, Strawberry Fields is indeed understated and peaceful.  As such, I feel it makes a powerful statement about John Lennon.

It makes sense to me that SF would be understated. I haven't been there (yet) but it seems like a great place to visit. Just a quiet little spot to clear your mind and to think about life and John's memory. Anything grandiose would just be distracting and probably beside the point.

Unknown Delight

• A Beginning
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:33 PM »

Just returned from a wonderful visit to NYC...and my first visit to SF's and the Dakota. 

Pretty speechless..the experience.  I was with friends, in town for a get together, and  in some respects i wish i was alone to just sit and soak in the quiet contemplative atmosphere.  I will definately be revisiting NYC again soon..and plan on spending more time there exploring the grounds, and ALL of Central Park.  I loved it there...right up my alley.  This trip it was more of a a short stopover to check out the scene...not a long time to linger and enjoy the grounds in full. 

Seeing the Dakota live in person, right across the street from my veiwing eyes was impressive and left me with a dose of honest to goodness awe.  I never conidered myself a huge 'Beatles Fan' in any respect, or even a huge Lennon fan...but seeing that building and being aware of what happened their to end someone's life is moving no matter what your tastes.  I was very glad to have experienced this.

One item i feel need to comment on.....that chap who claims to be the 'caretaker of Strawberry Feilds'.  I have read about him previously, and i beleive it was him that was there the day a visited the 'Imagine' mosaic.  He places the flowers around the design in the shape of a peace sign...and has a small display of photos and a box for donations.  The day i visited, he also had a large boombox ..and was playing non-related music which i found detracted from the experience a LOT.  I was aware of radios and other means of amplified music being banned from the Park, but this guy was playing short segments of classic rock selections...totally un-related to John in every way!  If one is going to bother breaking the rules and play music there, at least play something related...but it was better with NO music. 

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 04:53:21 PM »

Thank you for the post!
But I have never heard of a guy... Is it all true? maybe it was just a passer-by...

Unknown Delight

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 03:28:56 AM »

Not sure where i read it..perhaps this Forum?  I don't visit a lot of Beatles - related forums....but somewhere i read about it.

I beleive there is even a YouTube video of this supposed 'care taker' of Stawberry Fields.  If i remember correctly, he is a homeless man who daily visits the mosaic and decorates it with flowers that are donated to him daily for the purpose.  He always lays them out to form some sort of abstract 'peace' symbol...perhaps his trademark ...

When i visited, a walking tour came through and the woman who was leading it came over to him and asked him to speak to the group.  She obviously knew who he was, and knew he could speak accurately about John's history, and the history surrounding the area they were now standing in ( which he did by the way...very accurately).  He spent about 10 minutes talking about John's tale of coming to NYC after his battle to become a US citizen, his home at The Dakota, John's tragic passing, and the creation of the garden and mosiac.  He also touched on Yoko's yearly visit on the eve of his passing.  

I have some photos from the day....when i have some time to devote to uploading them i will share them here.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:31:18 AM by Unknown Delight »

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »

Thank you very much!  :)

Unknown Delight

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 01:37:22 AM »

-

Here are the two best photos taken during my visit to the sight...on Father's Day.  Nice day to be there.

Close up view of how the mosaic was decorated by the 'caretaker'.  The small statue and various apples were a nice touch, as well as the very varied assortment of flowers on display.

The Dakota as everyone here probably already knows...but i have to say this photo does NOT capture the real beauty of this building.  One really needs to see it with their own eyes.  I was amazed how impressive it was in the flesh...and i did not get any closer then what you see in this pic.  Frozen in my tracks in awe...one could say...and this is coming from someone who never really saw themself as a big 'Lennon fan'.  Being in that space, however, makes one stop and think some things over...namely, what he fought for and what he ended up giving up to live there.

Moving..yes....it was.  Looking forward to visiting again someday.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »

Splendid pictures! Enjoyed reading your post too!  :)

dylanjohn

• A Beginning
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 12:56:55 AM »

I'm not sure what the thread starter expected?

John Lennon rides?

Blue meanings in costume selling Lennon dolls?

I don't get it.

Strawberry Fields is great for several reasons.  John used to walk around that area a lot, and it was his favorite part of the park.
You can feel his spirit, and energy there. It's close to the Dakota.  It's just a nice spot for Beatles fans, and the casual observer to
come and think about Lennon.  It's not supposed to be anything other than that.  Just a memorial.  Since he doesn't have a grace, this is a great place to come pay tribute. I love central park in general.  SF is just a wonderful piece of the park for John fans.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 83 queries.