Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pete Best in concert  (Read 4212 times)

DoBotherMe

• A Beginning
Re: Pete Best in concert
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 05:59:17 PM »

I'm going to see the Pete Best Band tomorrow night. I don't know what to ask him or what to have him autograph. Do you think he'd sign the Anthology book or Anthology I? Dana ; )

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 06:48:44 PM »

yeah pete will sign that stuff.  When yuo get to the venue, saunter toward the rear (farthest away from stage) and look for the merchandise table.  That's where pete will be doing signings after the show ends.  line starts forming as they get to end of set...but relax, he'll stay until everyone gets an autograph and / or photo etc.  Best bet is to say hi to Teri at the merchandise table...then enjoy the full show...then hang at bar for a while..say hi to other bandmembers when they come out to grab a beer etc....and as the signing line winds down...then jump on at the end.  Simple really.

Wanna be a hero and remeber yuor evening forever?   get 5 shots of jose cuervo tequila, and bring them up on a serving tray as the first song ("slow down" is winding down).  There will be a small break as pete comes up front...give the tray to one of the guitarists..or Pete himself.  Tony may launch into the tequila riffs too..have fun with it all...

Trust me on that,

You can also get the new CD signed by all bandmmembers too..just saunter around the venue. (best bet is to go buy the cd at the merch table DURIGN the show...so yuo don't have to wait on line at end.  3 new songs come at about the halfway mark...and when you get to Kansas City (hey hey hey..and make sure you're singing louldy !), you're pretty much near the end. IF the crowd is really into it, you may get encoure (perhaps johnny b goode..) and if yuo've REALLY got it going, have some folks start asking for Hippy Hippy shake...which will blow the roof off,,and leave you wanting more,,,which is a good thing, isn't it.

I hope that's helpful.

You're gonna have a blast.  drop me a pm if you need more info.

enjoy

DoBotherMe

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »

The Band was great! They played a Hamburg/Cavern set. I got a kiss from Pete and bought the album and the Silver Beatles poster for autographs. Brought them the tequila and stayed and partied with Phil, Roag, & Tony. The turnout was DISAPPOINTING the venue didn't promote the concert, there were fewer than 100 people there! I was embarrassed. But it was a great time and Pete is ever the gentleman, except noone would show me how to do the Cavern Stomp! Dana ; )

(I can

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 03:22:51 AM »

well now i don't know what to think...how come he doesn't do the peppermint twist no more re-dux?????it reads like a total beatles show....that is causing me some concern....i fear for his longevity at this point....

DoBotherMe

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 03:24:22 PM »

Pete didn't sing any tunes. I thought the set was great, that's why I was there to hear early Beatles/Mersey arrangements of American R&R. We had our share of R&R cover bands here in my town, in fact my dad was in one. He played some of the same tunes with his band ... good old R&R. It was loud, fast, lots of harmonies, I'd go every night to see them if I could. Hayman's Green is folky-rock, a good listen, and worth the price. Pete's been doing this since 1988, I doubt the band would have the following and support it does without him. So the band's popularity and longevity is tied to Pete. If he comes to your town, just go, it's a great time! Dana ; )

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »

Quote from: 284
well now i don't know what to think...how come he doesn't do the peppermint twist no more re-dux?????it reads like a total beatles show....that is causing me some concern....i fear for his longevity at this point....

Consider: When Macca did very early songs in concert: Twenty Flight Rock, In Spite of All the Danger, even Hippy Hippy Skake in Liverpool in June, etc., fans go ga-ga don't they..and ask "why doesn't he do more of the real early rockers?". Actually, a PBB show could easily be described as "Beatles Anthology 1 - LIVE!"  

Sure, on Anth 1, while ringo is on "1 after 909", "you've really got a hold on me", "I saw her standing there " and some other early tracks on Anthology 1, PB actually played those songs live with the beatles in the first place.  Add in the Decca and Polydor tracks that PB played on, and you can see why the set list is right on target.  Ain't no tribute band, it's the real deal: go hear for yourself. Plus, they're great guys too. For real.

Seems when Macca does early songs, it's embraced...that he's staying in touch with the beatles' heritage.  An authentic original beatle paying homage to the genesis of the band,, and saying "let's go back to the early stuff for a bit...oh here's a cute story of how duff had the recording of In Spite .etc...here's how it goes.."  Seems natural doesnt it?

Yet, when PBB pays homage to the time period that got the beatles noticed in the first place, actually delivering the 60-62 period to fans, it makes me wonder why PBB would get critiqued for having a more expansive "early" setlist, that is holds more significance for beatles fans if they looked at where the tracks came from. For example, "3 cool cats" is lost on most people isn't it?. For folks that know the history though, 3CC  is incredibly appropriate..its fun too actually. so are the others..

It would appear that PBB's set is even more noteworthy than the occasional early songs sir macca tosses in PBB's set list, as PBB's brings living history of a time period --the beatles' club days -- that no one brings to the public anymore. It's educational and authentic, encompassing tracks from the Decca sessions, the Polydor tracks including My Bonnie, the recording that launched the mania in the first place, and Cry for a Shadow. How would fans respond if Macca ever introduced either of those early songs into a set? They'd be like "wow...it's incredible he played those!"  Plus, amazingly, PB will actually discuss the songs and fellow original beatles after the show.  Just ask DoBotherMe.

The set list reflects the 60-62 period when pete was with the beatles, and they were making their bones, drawn from the actual stage shows that the Beatles did at the dance halls, clubs in Hamburg, Liverpool, a time period of "straight rock" that even Lennon descibed "no one could touch us".  George said as much also in '69, that they had peaked as a stage act in hamburg, so  wouldn't that have been great to see..or hear?  

What's funny though:  if a tribute band was doing a similar set list, the tribute band would get kudos for recognizing the importance and fun of the early years. BUT, then again, folks would be looking for the john-guy, the paul-guy, the george-guy and, yup, the ringo-guy.  It's part of the psychology i suppose..it's also ironic though.

It's only appropriate that PBB can provide for beatles fans somethign that none of the other fab 4 have ever been able to do since the early years, which is, deliver the early set lists, with a bonafide original member of the band that played all these songs with JPG.    Sure, people can talk and post all over about the songs from that period, and the decca tapes, and who was playing what with Tony Sheridan but how many people actually get to hear the tracks from that period played live..by one of the originals that was there? You'll get that at a PBB show...and more.

DoBotherMe puts it very well:  "just go". See and hear for yourself.  If Macca did a similar set list, fans would go nuts.  Granted, the difference is that Macca is singing and he is the primary draw as both entertainer AND both an original beatle AND a moptop/fab4 beatle.  

PBB's appeal is the amazing harmonies, PLUS the draw of an original beatle that will share a pint and photo op with you -- and everyone else that wants to -- after the show. (it must be exhausting actually.. i have to admire the patience and the hours he puts in for the fans..and all the interviews...same questions all the time..)

I'll concur that many USA venues just do not know how to position and promote a pbb show. It's a unique event, so the messaging has to be right on target in the local market,  with an invitation to beatles fans/loyalists that "YEs...this is a very important..and fun..part of the story you love."... In other words, as DoBotherMe suggests:take in the show. I'll add, there is really no reason to not take it in..  

If you have Anthology 1...a PBB show is the perfect opportunity to hear it much of it performed live, with one of the originals. Quite simple really.   The fun part for me is that I've actually takn the initiative of helping some venues put a show together (posters/handbills/news release etc), and helping them increase their attendance each time PBB comes through.   It's my little way of saying "thanks" to PB for what he did from 60-62, as well as a thanks for keeping it alive for so many fans that never got the chance to see the early beatles.

Finally, the Haymans Green tracks are quite amazing, as DoBotherMe comments.  It's just incredibly fresh on all counts. See the posted reviews on amazon.com.

So, I hope this post is okay.  I'm well aware of the psychology involved, especially in USA. I have freinds that never knew the beatles existed before 1964, some even saying they'd feel "disloyal" by going to see PBB live.  Disloyal? It made me laugh...but , yeah, i know how deep the psychology and loyalty to the fab4 goes.  I fully appreciate where it comes from, especially in USA.

On the lighter side, PBB is authentic beatles history right there in front of you, plus they are an incredibly tight, professional band, even if you weren't paying attention to the drumskins...but Roag and Pete together actually provide both a sonic and a visual treat, playing off each other. Ya have to see it to appreciate.  

Sounds like you had a great time there DBM ! I've never heard anyone say they didn't have a rollicking fun time from a PBB show.  

PC31: Recall the "please mr postman" scene in backbeat (turn it up to 11) ? the sound, the harmonies, the energy, ?...well, that should give you a pretty good little hint of the fun you'd be in for.  If ya still don't know what to think, just get out to a show, and then judge for yourself what you hear and see, or give a listen to the new CD.  Youtube vids don't do justice.  I thought the exact same "what's this about really?" before I first attended a pbb show.  You'll either "get it" , or ya won't.  The energy will grab you, and if the opening riff of "what'd I say" doesn't give ya goosebumps to hear it live, then yikes, I can't help ya. I think for sure you'd respond  as "damn..the beatles used to play this !..."....then I suggest you hold on for the ride my freind..as you'll be singing your heart out as the show progresses: "Damn..this is VERY good".

You'll go home hoarse..lol. The fact that PB is also an original beatle just makes it more appealling and interesting for newbies.

That's all for now.   I hope it's helpful. See and judge for yourself.

It's about the music..and about the fun..and the history.  Grab it while ya can. As mentioned, i hope that's helpful for perspective, as many people just don't know what the pbb show is about.  

DoBotherMe

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »

Yeah, 62, I couldn't believe the SOUND! It was so exciting ... like I said, I'd go every night if I could. I even thought about following them around the midwest (but I have to work). Any Beatlemaniac will get high off the PBB. I couldn't stop shaking my head and pinching myself "I can't believe it, Pete Best right here in front of me!" Plus the added excitement of the four other scousers who played and sounded just like the records only raucous and LOUDER!  I'm still reeling from the energy of the night, the banter, the laughter, the stories! It was fabulous! Dana ; )
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 46 queries.