Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Phobias  (Read 12186 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Phobias
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »

Quote from: 216
Dutchphobia- Fear of the Dutch. (heh)

It must be because of our wooden shoes. We can kick pretty hard with these things.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 02:08:34 PM »

From Wikipedia:

Triskaidekaphobia (from Greek tris=three, kai=and, deka=ten) is fear of the number 13; it is a superstition and related to a specific fear of Friday the 13th, called paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidekaphobia.

We have two upcoming Friday the 13ths in a row, so these people will not be happy.

However:

In Romanian, Greek and Spanish cultures, Tuesday the 13th is considered unlucky.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 02:55:41 PM »

In Russia Monday the 13th is unlucky.

blackmath

• A Beginning
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 05:46:01 PM »

Quote from: 1204
I mean if there is a spider in our home and no one is there, I will freak out and call someone over to kill it.  I will watch it and cry and wait until someone can get there.  I won't take my eyes off of it because I am afraid it will crawl away and then I won't know where it went.

It sounds so familiar. One day I woke up only to find a cockroach at my door. Nobody was home and I thought about what to do, for half an hour, I called my dad and he told me that he couldn't come because he was at work. I was watching it while talking. Then finally I killed it after half an hour later and then I cried for a long time. It was one of my worst days ever. BTW cockroaches don't just stand it one place especially if it's day, it couldn't move because it was poisoned. I couldn't even get near to a POISONED cockroach.
I don't have other phobias. But this one's driving me mad.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »

What is a normal cockroach compared to a tropical one? When I was in Argentina I saw huge cockroaches there and they could fly!

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2009, 08:59:52 AM »

Quote from: 1393
What is a normal cockroach compared to a tropical one? When I was in Argentina I saw huge cockroaches there and they could fly!

Speaking of these critters:  I was sitting in a food court in New Orleans last year....and I had no clue but a huge cockroach had crawled up my bare arm.  It must've been about four inches long--UGH!!  What was also bad was that I went to the restroom to wash my arm, but they ran out of soap.  Yuck! >:(

I think the biggest roach I have ever seen was the size of a pickle.  So disgusting.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2009, 06:43:43 PM »

So you`ve got big roaches in the USA, I guess in the south. Do you have bats? I saw bats in Argentina as well. They are rather small.
Still I think frogs are more ugly than all these.

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2009, 02:06:22 AM »

I don't think I have a proper phobia... I used to be terrified of public speaking, but I stuck myself in a debating squad for a while, which kinda helped. And I think I used to have needle-phobia (whatever the scientific name for it is ;D )... used to be absolutely terrified of injections/blood-tests. I still don't like this sort of thing now, but I think I grew out of being terrified.
The thing I never could do (and still won't do) is go on rides, as in roller-coaster-type stuff. I'm not sure if it's a heights thing. I used to be scared of heights when I was younger (wow, what wasn't I scared of? ;D ), but now I can go up mountains and do rock-climbing, etc. So I think it's mainly the lack of control - the fact that I can't stop or get off the ride if I wanted to. Plus the height thing.

I'm weird ;D
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2009, 02:46:10 AM »

Quote from: 596
join the club! Death to all the frogs! Muahahaha!

What about Kermit the Frog?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2009, 09:33:24 AM »

Octie, I am scared of public speaking too.  The only thing that helps is to do it quite often...  Practice makes the fear go away.  This semester I have been assigned to do some public speaking projects (debates, presentations, faux stuttering with strangers...ahhh), but the more I do these things, the less I'm afraid.  It looks like I'm going to have an awfully "chatty" semester, though.   :-/

Also, I never thought I was afraid of heights, but I've realized recently that I can't deal with looking downwards if I'm rock climbing.  It makes me sick.  Maybe I'm terrified of the sensation or idea of falling from a great height--I used to have nightmares about that sort of thing.  Otherwise I'm perfectly fine with looking outside in airplanes and skyscrapers.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2009, 09:53:05 PM »

Quote from: 610
I don't think I have a proper phobia... I used to be terrified of public speaking, but I stuck myself in a debating squad for a while, which kinda helped. And I think I used to have needle-phobia (whatever the scientific name for it is ;D )... used to be absolutely terrified of injections/blood-tests. I still don't like this sort of thing now, but I think I grew out of being terrified.
The thing I never could do (and still won't do) is go on rides, as in roller-coaster-type stuff. I'm not sure if it's a heights thing. I used to be scared of heights when I was younger (wow, what wasn't I scared of? ;D ), but now I can go up mountains and do rock-climbing, etc. So I think it's mainly the lack of control - the fact that I can't stop or get off the ride if I wanted to. Plus the height thing.

I'm weird ;D

In fact, everybody is terrified of public speaking. I agree it takes practice. I remember some 3 years ago a case, when a girl was to do some public speaking in front of 3 groups of students. When she came to the front and climbed the rostrum and looked at the audience...she fell backwards on the floor. I didn`t see it, but people say it was terrible. She was hurt.
Now that you`ve mentioned a roller-coaster, I confess that I am absolutely incapable of doing it. I tried it once in my life unaware what it would mean to me and ended up lying on the floor of the cabin waiting for the ride to be over. I have never even thought of riding again. So this is my phobia.  

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2009, 07:02:32 AM »

I'm deathly afraid of snakes. I used to wake up in the middle of the night crying because of them until I was 5
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 10:31:37 AM »

Quote from: 682

What about Kermit the Frog?

As long as he stays a muppet, he's ok with me

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Busker Hook

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2009, 07:42:22 PM »

Spiders and... top of boiled milk! In my early childhood days I loved to eat the 'tops', and one fine day a 'top' suddenly diabolically squeaked!!! I was scared to death (dead1) ... A bit later my granny told me it was possibly a mouse who was squeaking... Ever since I can't stand boiled milk tops...
[size=12]Some beatlefans are descended from the mad Cheshire cats[/size][/color] (dazed)<br /><br />

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2009, 09:21:59 PM »

Quote from: 1393
I remember some 3 years ago a case, when a girl was to do some public speaking in front of 3 groups of students. When she came to the front and climbed the rostrum and looked at the audience...she fell backwards on the floor. I didn`t see it, but people say it was terrible. She was hurt.

Ohhhh, that's horrible!  :(  I dislike public speaking, but my fears usually dissipate once I start talking.  I've never felt fearful to the point of fainting.

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2009, 01:22:55 AM »

Quote from: 1620

Ohhhh, that's horrible!  :(  I dislike public speaking, but my fears usually dissipate once I start talking.  I've never felt fearful to the point of fainting.
^ I have a presentation in front of a bunch of audit partners on Wednesday, and I caught myself thinking how I'd rather faint than do the presentation :-/ That's a really silly thing to think, but that presentation really scares me >< But actually I'm more scared of disappointing partners and lecturers (coz I don't know if my research is good enough) than the actual act of public speaking (afraid3). I might just have a failure-phobia or something...

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »

Try to take a very deep breath and then blow all the air out. It really helps. The only problem is how to take it unnoticed...

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »

^ thanks for that, Jane!! :)
I'm so glad that particular persentation is over......

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2009, 06:05:18 PM »

Phasmophobia
arachnophobia
Metallophobia ( not all metals just some, as i play guitar and im fine, but some metals make me quiver to touch and make my teeth stand on end like nails on a chalkboard)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 05:30:30 AM »

^ and to those of us who dont speak latin, the first one means...?

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 87 queries.