Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Paul playing Lennon songs  (Read 3231 times)

Brynjar

• Getting Better
Paul playing Lennon songs
« on: August 19, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »

I recently came across a clip from youtube where Paul and his band are playing Please Please Me. It is from Pauls DVD The Space Within Us. I was a little surprised but very happy at the same time. It was like... why not?! What do you think?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWVo1fjRsQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWVo1fjRsQ</a>
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Re: Paul playing Lennon songs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »

I hope Paul doesn't play anymore John songs in his concerts. It's a Paul McCartney concert, not a Paul McCartney plays John Lennon concert. One song is nice as a tribute though.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »

Quote from: 682
It's a Paul McCartney concert, not a Paul McCartney plays John Lennon concert. One song is nice as a tribute though.

Well, I never said his entire set-list should only contain Lennon songs. Just throw a few in, like Please Please Me and From Me to You, which I believe they wrote "eyeball-to-eyeball".
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:55:23 PM »

Even a few is too much in my opinion. One at the max for me.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »

JMFan, this is a tough opinion. And who would sing John`s songs now that he is dead? Only Macca is in a position to do it live. So I think this is very praiseworthy of him to do it. Not many though, but some two-three. It only does him credit.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:21:11 PM »

Sean and Julian have sung John songs live before. Decent covers too.

Here's Sean doing a cover of "Julia"

49ynZaPPjxc

I know this isn't a song John wrote but he did a great cover of "Stand by Me" and here's Julian's version.

_q28Nl4OrPk

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 10:36:54 PM »

Well, I was like you before Jimm MC, you know all like Paul shouldnt do John songs.. but then why not? All the songs are Lennon-McCartney, and besides, people know whats a John song and what's not so its not as if Paul is stealing the song... And, those who come to see Paul, assumingly know Beatles songs so for them it will be extra pleasure to hear John Beatles songs sung by Paul [a real beatle] .... [not sure if i got my point across]  :-/

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:45:52 PM »

I see your point. I just don't get why Paul would want to sing John's Beatle songs when it's Paul's concert and he has SO many songs to choose from. Again it's a McCartney concert, not a McCartney sings John Lennon songs. Paul should just stick to his own songs and he has done so for the most part.

Okay

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 11:37:55 PM »

Well I saw him in quebec and the A Day In The Life/Give Peace A Chance medley was defo the highlight of the show, so I disagree.

fan numero uno

• A Thousand Pages
  • they love me, they love me a lot. they love me....
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 01:29:16 AM »

i think its really cool that Paul is doing this. i mean, John isnt around to do his songs anymore  :'( but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be played live anymore. and if anybody but John were to do this, then Paul would be the obvious and best choice.
but i agree with above commenters. only 2-3 songs. he needs to do his own as well!
Love the Beatles, and all shall be right.                avatar created by freakchic

Revolver42

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 04:35:43 PM »

I actually like the fact that he is performing some "Lennon" songs.  Just because John is gone does not mean that his music must die.  Who better than Paul to play the songs?
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 09:05:44 PM »

And, JMFan, you`ve just shown to us all in another thread that the Queen sing John`s songs, Imagine, for example. They don`t see any problem here, though it`s the Queen`s concert, they are generous!!! Besides, you yourself wrote that it was very emotional. Paul`s singing John`s songs is very emotional too. Much more than Julian or Sean singing, which is natural, cause they are the sons.
But you are right, not more than 2-3 (I am repeating myself).

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 03:06:22 AM »

Quote from: 682
I see your point. I just don't get why Paul would want to sing John's Beatle songs when it's Paul's concert and he has SO many songs to choose from. Again it's a McCartney concert, not a McCartney sings John Lennon songs. Paul should just stick to his own songs and he has done so for the most part.

Well, as far as the Beatle songs go, Isn't it true that even though a song may have been originated by one, the other probably helped finish it? There are a few "personal" songs that wouldn't make sense for Paul to sing (like Help for example), but songs like Day Tripper or Eight Days a Week  would work perfectly. Paul was the main composer on Eight, even though John sang it.  Did you know John sang "I Saw Her Standing There' in concert in '75....  

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 04:38:13 AM »

I can't understand why anyone would be upset about Paul playing so called "John songs."  First of all, they're Beatles' songs. Unless you're talking solo stuff. But anyway, who better to play them than Paul? He's certainly got the right. And we certainly can't hear John playing them, so it's actually kind of great to hear them live again by an actual Beatle. A Beatle who actually contributed to those songs no less. Again, unless it's the solo stuff. Which I just see as a loving tribute.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »

I'm a Beatles fan, I just want to see Paul doing Beatles songs and I really don't care if the songs he does are his, John's or George's.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 10:52:56 AM »

I have no problem with it either. If they're Beatles songs, why not. He can sing Octopus's Garden for all I care. Well, maybe not!

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:41 PM »

I agree with the general concensus, that he's the only one who can get away with it; and after all this time, I think he's earned the right, even if he was the lesser of two authors. The song probably means so much to him personally, as it was kind of the 'one' that got things going in the UK in particular. Go Paulie! Sing 'em for me!
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 01:48:52 PM »

Quote from: 483
I have no problem with it either. If they're Beatles songs, why not. He can sing Octopus's Garden for all I care. Well, maybe not!

I said it several times before and I'll say it again: Octopus's Garden is a very underrated song. Just ignore the silly lyrics and listen to George's outstanding guitar parts...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 01:51:16 PM »

Quote from: 56

I said it several times before and I'll say it again: Octopus's Garden is a very underrated song. Just ignore the silly lyrics and listen to George's outstanding guitar parts...

I was just kidding. I actually do quite like it. And yes, George's guitar is excellent on this.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »

Quote from: 1389
I think he's earned the right, even if he was the lesser of two authors.

Now that there's fightin' talk.
don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 91 queries.