Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why do the new CDs I bought have (British) on em?  (Read 4561 times)

NGM

Why do the new CDs I bought have (British) on em?
« on: July 09, 2004, 04:33:09 PM »

I just thought this was interesting...
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Why do the new CDs I bought have (British) on em?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 04:57:35 PM »

If i'm not mistaken, all the Beatle albums that were released on CD are how they were released in England. The US releases varied somewhat (by name and song titles) and that is the reason you cant buy say,,,,"Hey Jude"(the album version that was released in the US) on CD. The Pastmaster CD's were created due to this.

I'm no expert though. TE and some other members would know more specifics.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 09:25:16 PM »

Pretty much.....note that in the UK, they never had the Magical Mystery Tour album, although they started importing it in during the seventies...before that, they had that two LP set with tracks 1-3 and 4-6 of the normal album on each respectively...

I'm glad that the band decided to release them the way they were meant to be.....we can then see their logical musical progression, rather than a mismash of songs.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 09:39:59 PM »

Not "two LP set", but "two EP set" - just a typo I'm sure, but it could be confusing to some.

I don't know what you mean by I'm glad that the band decided to release them the way they were meant to be.....we can then see their logical musical progression, rather than a mismash of songs. The way the band wanted it WAS the two-EP set.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 09:45:12 PM »

Ah, good point there with Magical Mystery Tour.....but did they really want it to be a two EP set? I think that was just management and the label trying to make sure they'd have something to sell.........they could've easily fit it all on one record....

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 10:10:35 PM »

The thing is, Rowdy, EPs sold very well in the UK - everywhere but the US! So the Fabs using the format wasn't unusual.

What was unusual was (1) MMT was the first two-EP set; (2) the elaborate packaging used. All very Beatle-y, in fact!

One of my prized possessions is a MONO copy of the double EP Magical Mystery Tour, complete with all original packaging.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 10:33:55 PM »

The original packaging came with a book right? Like a 24 page booklet with those pics from the film?

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 11:06:13 PM »

[quote by=Rowdy link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1089390789,s=6 date=1089412435]The original packaging came with a book right? Like a 24 page booklet with those pics from the film?[/quote]

Really, the whole thing was a book. The records were in sleeves inside the front and back covers, which were of thick cardboard. Then the book, which included lots of stills, a sort-of comic-style thing, and the words of the songs.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 12:15:22 AM »

i wish there were better liner notes on Beatles Albums.  those can be very interesting sometimes.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 12:39:21 AM »

Well, I'm guessing there will be extensive ones on the rereleases.......which will probably come out in 2063.

broady

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 04:01:44 AM »

Damn - I have no turntable (Dad threw it out :()and I've never heard the "Hey Jude" on album. Heard the song though, of course.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 12:17:25 AM »

Prior to Magical Mystery Tour, EPs had pretty much died as a record medium in the UK. In fact, the last EP released by the Beatles before MMT was the Nowhere Man EP,  released in 1965. The Beatles only returned to the EP medium for MMT because it was seen as the only way they could tie-in a release for their film; they didn't have enough new tracks for an album and it wasn't their policy to package albums with previously released material.

In the US, Capitol had their own release policy totally seperate to the UK - so by omitting a few tracks per British album, they were able to release a whole lot more LPs! By 1966, the Beatles had begun to take control of their US releases, but with MMT being released in a format not familiar in the US, Capitol once again formatted their own version, adding Hello Goodbye, Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, Baby You're A Rich Man and All You Need Is Love to the film songs. 

This US version, with its LP-size colour booklet, went on to become EMI's biggest selling import in the UK. A British version was finally released in the mid Eighties and the same format was released on CD.

Original mono versions of the 1967 EP are highly sought after as they contain VERY different mixes to their stereo counterparts - notably on I Am The Walrus and Blue Jay Way.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 12:54:20 AM »

[quote by=broady link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1089390789,s=10 date=1089432104]Damn - I have no turntable (Dad threw it out :()and I've never heard the "Hey Jude" on album. Heard the song though, of course.[/quote]

It's just a compilation....not really an album.....just ten songs that hadn't been released on any of the other Captitol albums in the US...like eight of them are on Past Masters V. 2 anyway, though.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 12:56:52 PM »

A new MMT is the latest idea to come out of apple. Or Macca to be precise. The idea being that they remaster and remix the songs on the album, select a new track listing and sell it along with a bonus CD containing 20 minuets of nonsense. They call it something stupid, give it cheap packaging and promote it by saying it's what the group originally intended for release.

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 65 queries.