Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which Song Really Made You A Fan?  (Read 4195 times)

Bobber

Which Song Really Made You A Fan?
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:09:14 AM »

I knew about Beatles songs from the red and blue album as one of my sisters had bought them and I hardly realised that this was just a small compilation of the songs they had made. And yes, I did like songs like Please Please Me, Help! and all the others, but it wasn't until I heard It Won't Be Long one day that I really knew that The Beatles had made many more great songs than the ones on the red and blue albums. It Won't Be Long started my search for more and more songs of The Beatles until I (think I've) found them all.

What song started such a thing for you?

glass onion

• Getting Better
Re: Which Song Really Made You A Fan?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »

taxman.as a young drummer of around 12 years of age,i thought taxman and indeed the playing of ringo on that track was the best thing i'd ever heard.oh,those memories;i can go back there in my head like a shot.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Jazz_Singing_Apple

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »

A mate at school was going through a list of music he liked and said he would email me a song by The Beatles.

He sent me I Feel Fine. I had never heard music like that before. I'd certainly heard Beatle songs before but never knowingly. My mind was blown and my jaw on the floor.

I did initially think, however, that there must have been a problem sending the song from his computer to mine and that's why there was "that noise" at the start.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:26:16 PM »

Can't Buy Me Love was the song that piqued my interest in the Beatles, but it was when I heard Hey Jude that I realized the band was something truly amazing. It remains my favourite song to this day.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »

I don't know, I can't think of one particular moment when I started noticing their music or when I became a fan. For as long as I can think back, their music was always there and I always liked it. But when I was about eight or nine, I started a cover band with some friends (despite the facts that none of us played an instrument and that we only knew phonetic English), and I recall that I insisted that we'd do 'Let It Be'. So I suppose that must've been my first favorite Beatles song. Come to think of it, I just remembered that one of my friends once recorded our version of that song on a tape recorder, with me on lead vocals. God, I hope that tape doesn't show up again someday...  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:40:02 AM »

So my experience with The Beatles is a bit different as I came to know them at a time when they were first achieving popularity here in the US.  I experienced each new song and album as they were released and didn't have their complete catalog to peruse.

During "The British Invasion,"  their appeal was primarily to young girls.  I wish you could all have seen the hysteria they caused.  My sister who is five years younger was one of those 10-year olds who were afflicted.  She had all their 45s and LPs and I had to take her to see AHDN and HELP! several times.  During that time, I liked The Beatles a lot, but I preferred The Rolling Stones and The Animals.  Then in late 1965, Rubber Soul was released.  My sister didn't care much for it and gave the LP to me.  It was the US Capitol release and I really began liking them a lot.  In 1966, I heard Nowhere Man for the first time and that song made me a true fan.  The Beatles were maturing as individuals and so was I.  It was a nice way to come of age.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:30:35 AM »

I stole the double red album off of my sister when I was 7 years old and really liked just about all of it at that time. I was hooked. I then got multiple copies of the double blue album too and dug those as well. I stole Sgt. Peppers off of my sister too and really liked it, but the one song that I remember really digging when I got the album at a young age was 'The Night Before' off of HELP!. I still love that song.

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:27:56 AM »

didn't really 'get' the question till i started reading everyone's answers
-
i started with the red album at about 7 y.o.
love me do was awesome... she loves you was fun!... used to sing from me to you with my sister
the james bond intro to help .... the emotions of eleanor rigby, girl and nowhere man
but
i remember bringing the record to school to play day tripper at lunch.
everyone else was into jimmy castor and the jackson 5 - but that guitar was undeniably bada$$ !..... (later to find out it was kinda stolen :( )
-
-
did the blue album 2 years later......
as i kept getting albums i kept rediscovering and having new favorites!
all the way up through anthology versions and live at the bbc
can definitely remember hearing MANY songs for the first time and being ... reborn!
MAN they're awesome !
-
-
*note- the red and blue albums were great introductions to people from my generation and made many fans.
for young people today - i think that "1" is not nearly as good a gateway compilation - right down to the cover art...... but it's all still great

BeatleChick

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:31:13 AM »

I heard them a lot growing up, and was even taught some of their songs in school (I had the coolest first grade teacher), but, it was when I was 9 years old, when my parents gave me Abbey Road for Christmas that year, that I really became a fan (I had been an Elvis fan up until that point). I liked the first two tracks on the album, but, the song that really did it for me, the song that started it all, and confirmed my fandom, was Maxwell's Silver Hammer (of all things). From that very first note, I was absolutely in love with the lads. I have to wonder, looking back on it all, if that was the case because it was the first Paul song that I heard, and Paul happens to be my favourite Beatle. I think it could have had something to do with that. Anyway, that's the song that did it. Maxwell's Silver Hammer.
Peace, Love, and Beatles!

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »

I think you're quite unique in that way, Becca. ha2ha

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 12:23:43 AM »

Something. I got the '1' album first, and I liked Yellow Submarine and Love Me Do and all that, but what really did it was Something. I thought it was just beautiful, and to this day it's still definitely a favorite :)

BeatleChick

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 03:32:16 AM »

I think you're quite unique in that way, Becca. ha2ha

Lol.

Thanks.

Yes, I suppose it is a far cry from the average "She Loves You"/"Hold Your Hand" sort of answer...

I always strive to be different, you know... try to be unique...

:D

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 07:35:58 AM »

Lol.

Thanks.

Yes, I suppose it is a far cry from the average "She Loves You"/"Hold Your Hand" sort of answer...

I always strive to be different, you know... try to be unique...

:D

Now all we have to do is wait for someone who tells us Revolution #9 did the trick.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »

Now all we have to do is wait for someone who tells us Revolution #9 did the trick.

Haha, sorry, you know how I like to defend Revolution 9.  It certainly showed me that there was much more to the Beatles than any other way that I listened to them before.

But the song that really made me fall in love with them was Hey Jude (thus the name).  I can't think of the definitive moment, I just remember that we had just got my dad the 1's cd for his birthday (or Father's Day... I can't remember which) and him and I were listening to it one day.  When Hey Jude came on it was just like something seemed so pure with it.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »

Well, that didn't take long.   ;D

Wild Honey Pie anyone?
I can stay till it's time to go

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 06:52:36 PM »

Well, that didn't take long.   ;D

Wild Honey Pie anyone?

What's The New Mary Jane?

BeatleChick

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 06:10:02 AM »

Lol.

I know. Pretty bad.

I'd like to think Maxwell is a step above #9 at least...

:)

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
  • Nothing's gonna change my world.
    • Purple Prose Solo Music
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 01:05:29 AM »

I'm never quite sure what the first song that truly hooked me to The Beatles was, it's a bit fuzzy.  I'd known of The Beatles as long as I can remember, and I distinctly remember singing along to the Red Greatest Hits in my bedroom when I was around six, but I never had a favourite.  As I grew into my earlier teens, the only Beatles access I had was whatever my dad decided to show and give me, which wasn't much.  I think he loved them so fiercely, he didn't want to share.  But eventually it started to filter through.  While I was still that young, the only full album he gave me was Sgt Pepper, and funnily enough, it wasn't any of those songs that seemed to stick in my head the most.  He'd give me random songs, like "if you like harmonies, you'll like this!" and "if you like guitar solos, you'll like this!".  And one of the tracks he gave me was Because.  I think THAT'S the first Beatles song I became thoroughly attached to.  To this day, it still gives me shivers.  I'm a huge sucker for vocal harmony, and well I think you guys know how much that song fits the bill there!  I just thought it was very touching, and haunting.  It stuck in my head like mad and I used to sit there listening to it over and over, trying to figure out each single vocal line.  I do believe Because was the one!

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.
Proud author of "It's Only Love: A John Lennon Romance"!

blackbird_

• A Beginning
  • I'm feelin' low, so get me high.
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 10:27:29 AM »

I think it was probably Hey Bulldog for me.

I'd love to turn you on.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »

I'm another one who was won over by the 62-66 Red album.

There was a lot of Beatle-related activity here in the UK in 1976, with re-releases of the singles etc. I was 9 years old and just beginning to take an interest in music. A friend who was a couple of years older played the Red album one day and I loved it. I think I heard the Blue album around the same time and it didn't do it for me in the way the Red LP did - I suppose the later period Beatles stuff was a bit over the head of a 9 year old!! But the early songs from 63 and 64 had won over kids in the 60s and it was those that got me hooked. Songs like Eight Days a Week and All My Loving were (and still are) so full of joy and energy that it was impossible to resist  :)

For a while I think I only owned compilation LPs like Rock n Roll Music, Love Songs, Hollwood Bowl, as well as the red and blue albums. The inner sleeve of Hollywood Bowl had pictures of all the original LPs and I started saving my meagre pocket money and bought them all on vinyl over the next few years. An aunt also bought me the box set of singles that was released in 76 or 77 and I played those endlessly. I Should Have Known Better was one of my big favourites, I remember.

I taught myself to play guitar by playing along with Beatles records, but before I owned a guitar I used to mime with a cricket bat!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.707 seconds with 90 queries.