Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC 2 Arena: "The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour Revisited" documentary  (Read 6049 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM

BBC 2 Arena: "The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour Revisited" documentary

Arena presents the greatest Beatles story never told, a blockbuster double-bill. Beginning with a documentary full of fabulous Beatles archive material never shown before anywhere in the world.

Songs you'll never forget, the film you've never seen and a story that's never been heard. In 1967, in the wake of the extraordinary impact of Sgt. Pepper, The Beatles made a film - a dreamlike story of a coach daytrip, a magical mystery tour. It was seen by a third of the nation, at 8.35pm on BBC1 on Boxing Day - an expectant public, hoping for some light entertainment for a family audience.

Magical Mystery Tour was greeted with outrage and derision by middle England and the establishment media.

'How dare they', they cried, 'They're not film directors, who do they think they are?' they howled. Where were the four lovable moptops of Help! and A Hard Day's Night?

What propelled The Beatles to make this surreal, startling and - at the time - utterly misunderstood film?

View here:
BBC: Magical Mystery Tour Revisited
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: BBC 2 Arena: "The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour Revisited" documentary
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 04:34:46 PM »

Thank you so much for posting this documentary, Paulrus!
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:29:14 AM »

Lots of good stuff to watch. Thanks!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:54:11 AM »

Lots of good stuff to watch.

Yeah!  Like Death Cab For Cutie without the CENSORED sign.    ;D

KelMar

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:09:50 AM »

Yeah!  Like Death Cab For Cutie without the CENSORED sign.    ;D

Then I'll need my ID again.  ;)

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »

Excellent documentary.

IthinkIdisagree

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »

Yes, excellent .. as you would expect from the BBC/Arena team. ..

I love that clip of John playing with the little girl on his lap and the feathers in his hat .. is that an actual scene from the film or an out-take?

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »

That was a fun documentary!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 10:40:55 PM »

I love that clip of John playing with the little girl on his lap and the feathers in his hat .. is that an actual scene from the film or an out-take?

It was an outtake.  Welcome to the Forum, IthinkIdisagree.  Cool screen name you got there!

IthinkIdisagree

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 07:24:30 AM »

It was an outtake.  Welcome to the Forum, IthinkIdisagree.  Cool screen name you got there!

Thanks HG! And thats a very nice avatar!

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »

I watched this when it was on BBC, and really enjoyed it. Does anyone else think that the balance of 'arty/creative/cutting edge Beatle' is swinging subtly in Paul's favour with every passing year? Just struck me watching this that Paul's image was shifting slightly.
 I also loved seeing John and George really getting into the sing-alongs on the coach! Bit drunk? Stoned? Tired? or just enjoying the moment?
They showed MMT straight afterwards, but I taped it and went to bed and still haven't got round to watching. I always feel MMT is better in snippets than altogether. Maybe it's just me...
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

IthinkIdisagree

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 07:21:46 AM »

I watched this when it was on BBC, and really enjoyed it. Does anyone else think that the balance of 'arty/creative/cutting edge Beatle' is swinging subtly in Paul's favour with every passing year? Just struck me watching this that Paul's image was shifting slightly.

Yes, I noticed that too, but then again I've always had that impression with, let's say, immediate post-Epstein period. I really do think that PM did try to take control after his death (summer '67) and that MMT was very much his idea..certainly that comes through very strongly on the documentary, but then again we don't really get JL's take on it. Maybe he was already quite 'absorbed' by YO at this point?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:36:12 AM »

Yes, I noticed that too, but then again I've always had that impression with, let's say, immediate post-Epstein period. I really do think that PM did try to take control after his death (summer '67) and that MMT was very much his idea..certainly that comes through very strongly on the documentary, but then again we don't really get JL's take on it. Maybe he was already quite 'absorbed' by YO at this point?

Methinks "trying to take control" is a bit harsh.
Post touring The Beatles needed something to do, and Paul was the one bursting with ideas. John was sat at home eating acid sandwhiches and George was busy reinventing himself as the second Krishna.
I'm sure if John had shown up at a Beatle meeting late 67 and said "I've got a great idea - let's all sit in bags, post acorns to everyone and release a record of a my dead babies heart beat" it would have been given due consideration next to Pauls comparatively mundane suggestion of "let's make a movie."
It was a no brainer really.
don't follow leaders

IthinkIdisagree

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »

Methinks "trying to take control" is a bit harsh.
Post touring The Beatles needed something to do, and Paul was the one bursting with ideas. John was sat at home eating acid sandwhiches and George was busy reinventing himself as the second Krishna.

Exactly my point! Ok perhaps not trying to take control but try and keep things going artistically in the face of suddenly having no manager, despite SPLHCB more or less dominating everything else musically.
Quite rightthat PM was having a lot of ideas as he says in the docu (also thanks to a few acid cupcakes!)
 8)

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 67 queries.