Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Your favorite (non-Beatle) music DVDs?  (Read 4708 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Your favorite (non-Beatle) music DVDs?
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »

These are some of my favorites:

NOFX - Backstage Passport
This is no doubt one of the coolest DVDs I have ever seen. It's a documentary but it has more humor, adventure, drama and surprises than most scripted movies. Even if you don't care for (or don't even know) NOFX, this is really entertaining. What it basically comes down to: NOFX is one of the most populair punk bands in the world. They've been selling out the biggest clubs all over North America and Europe for the last two decades and they really got a bit tired of the smooth sailing, so they decided they wanted another disaster of a tour like the ones they did in their early years. So what they did is book a world tour through countries where either nobody knew them (in some of these countries they sold literally zero CDs) or where the show bookers were shady to say the least. This DVD follows them on their tour of mostly South American, Asian and African countries, where they get into one bizarre situation after the other. Star of the show is their road manager Kent, who's either totally stressed or completely wasted most of the time.

Live Aid
I think I must've seen this one at least a dozen times, from start to finish. These are basically the songs that are the soundtrack of my earliest childhood memories, all performed live at one of the greatest musical happenings of all time (if you ask me, second only to Woodstock).

The Beach Boys - Endless Harmony
This is the definitive Beach Boys documentary, basically a one-disc Beach Boys version of the Beatles' Anthology DVDs. It tells the story of the band through interviews with all the band members and a whole lot of great clips.

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown
This is a documentary about "The Funk Brothers", the group of session musicians that played on pretty much all the legendary Motown hits. These guys never really got any recognition until the early 2000s, most of the members that died before that time were poor and forgotten when they passed away. Really tragic but very interesting story.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:09:04 PM by Joost »

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
Re: Your favorite (non-Beatle) music DVDs?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 02:37:12 PM »

I really like The Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who if that counts :D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:19:52 AM »

The Last Waltz

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 03:07:41 AM »

I don't really watch music DVDs. I don't find concert DVDs interesting unless I was there, and documentaries on rock bands only need to be watched once or twice, negating the need for a DVD. One exception is The Last Waltz. It works as an entertaining film because it has a narrative running through it. The music is amazing too of course.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Eliza

• Getting Better
  • You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 04:20:08 AM »

I've seen a few but my top two are
1. Bullet in a Bible
Green Day it's so cool very inappropriate hehe

2. Gorillaz; Demon Days DVD
It has the making of Feel Good inc video and couple of there shows
Put yer tongue away it looks digusting hanging out all pinked and naked!-George Harrison

Love forever, love is free Let's turn forever you and me Windmill, windmill for the land Is everybody in?

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 02:11:39 AM »

there's a series of dvd's that they play on vh1 sometimes called 'classic albums' where they go into the studio with the original engineer and let you hear the different instrument tracks isolated
i like it alot

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 05:30:43 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 02:44:49 PM »

Live Aid
I think I must've seen this one at least a dozen times, from start to finish. These are basically the songs that are the soundtrack of my earliest childhood memories, all performed live at one of the greatest musical happenings of all time (if you ask me, second only to Woodstock).

I watched this again the other day, and in my opinion,,,it sucks. It seemed like it tried to hard to me. Nothing was really memorable. It did remind me why I hate most of the music in the 80's though.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:01:19 PM »

I watched this again the other day, and in my opinion,,,it sucks. It seemed like it tried to hard to me. Nothing was really memorable. It did remind me why I hate most of the music in the 80's though.

I can totally understand if people that are a bit older than me don't dig 80s music, cause a lot of it really isn't good. But to me it's pure nostalgia. I was six years old in 1985, so this is pretty much the music that was on the radio in my earliest memories.

And I don't agree that nothing was memorable. Queen's show was pure magic. Hands down the best performance I've ever seen on tv. And I don't even like Queen that much.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 03:20:48 PM »

I can totally understand if people that are a bit older than me don't dig 80s music, cause a lot of it really isn't good. But to me it's pure nostalgia. I was six years old in 1985, so this is pretty much the music that was on the radio in my earliest memories.

And I don't agree that nothing was memorable. Queen's show was pure magic. Hands down the best performance I've ever seen on tv. And I don't even like Queen that much.
I was in my glorious prime in the 80's, and like most snobby muso's rejected the commercial music of the day. I did really enjoy what we would now call the Indy scene - bands like REM, U2, Pixies, New Order, The Waterboys, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cure, the Mission, sisters of Mercy and a whole host of gothic bands.
But when I hear 80's radio music now - especially the then new electronic stuff - I really like it and wish I hadn't been such a snob. Stuff like OMD, Soft Cell and Depeche Mode are good. Dave Ram had it right.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »

I wonder if I'll ever feel that way about 2000s music, especially hip-hop. My love for Lady GaGa is well documented, though.

On a side note, my dad was at Live Aid and I will be forever jealous of him for it.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »

On a side note, my dad was at Live Aid and I will be forever jealous of him for it.

In London or Philadelphia?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »

London. My dad's from the UK.

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 04:45:02 PM »

;D

The name's Emily :)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 06:38:14 PM »

I'm not a fan of Queen so that performance did nothing for me. I'm not trying to bash Live Aid either, it just wasnt my cup of tea. Nothing sounded good and everything just felt rushed to me. No biggy though. Hell, I even own the DVD for some reason.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 09:27:51 PM »

Is that Yasgur's farm? I had no idea that people were kept so far away from the stage. I think I see a Gran Torino in the left foreground. Are you bzlevine?  :o
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »

Is that Yasgur's farm? I had no idea that people were kept so far away from the stage. I think I see a Gran Torino in the left foreground. Are you bzlevine?  :o

That's the side of the stage fenced off.  Barry Z. Levine was the still photographer on the crew filming Woodstock.

You can see more of his photographs here:  http://www.woodstockwitness.com/
I can stay till it's time to go

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 07:47:23 PM »

The Beach Boys Lost Concert is awesome. I love Brian's bass playing and the whole performance in general.

The Who, The Kids are Alright Awesome documentary that made me fall with the Who even more. Worth it especially the Deluxe edition.  Isolated feeds.

Page created in 0.805 seconds with 84 queries.