Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Day In The Life vs. Magical Mystery Tour  (Read 20411 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
A Day In The Life vs. Magical Mystery Tour
« on: April 04, 2014, 04:37:09 PM »

I'm a John guy, but still prefer "Magical Mystery Tour" (in fact, both songs were collaborations between John and Paul). I have my own reasons to have to choose between these two songs. Don't ask me why.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: A Day In The Life vs. Magical Mystery Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »

Wow Hombre, your choice seriously surprises me. I love MMT and all, but A Day In The Life is just one of those can-move-mountains Beatles songs to me. Deserves all the praise it gets.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:19:55 AM »

As 'Magical Mystery Tour' (the film) has.....in my opinion.....dated far better than 'Sgt. Pepper's' (the album), I'd go for 'Magical Mystery Tour'.
I can't imagine playing Sgt. Pepper's any time soon, but I'm sure I'll see MMT by the end of the year.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »

I recognize "A Day In The Life" as a masterpiece, but there's something I can't explain that I don't like about it.

The message of "Magical Mystery Tour" is more direct and simple, with a catchy chorus, inviting us not only to a special tour, but also to a new life.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

KelMar

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:49:48 PM »

Despite the comments, I see by the stats that I'm in the minority with my choice of "Magical Mystery Tour". For me it's no reflection on Sgt. Pepper that I didn't choose "A Day in the Life". I love the album and I think the song is mind-blowing as well. It's just that I prefer the overall feel of MMT. It lifts me up when I hear it while ADitL is a bit heavy and disconcerting at times. It hurts my ears a little too. LOL Of course Paul's part in the middle is light. I guess that's the part I like best. Also, it doesn't hurt that I love the "Magical Mystery Tour" movie so much. But even before I watched the movie this song was my favorite.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »

I'm in the camp of considering ADITL as one of the Beatles masterpieces and one of the greatest arrangements/recordings in modern music. So it beats most Beatle songs. MMT is fun but comes across as a bit of a rewarmed Sgt Peppers (the song)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:23:26 AM »

I didn't vote.  They're both fine pieces each representing the best of their respective primary writer's songwriting abilities for the different purposes at hand.
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 01:07:05 AM »

I went with Magical Mystery Tour. I recognize that A Day in the Life is a masterpiece, but I've never warmed to it. I find it depressing for some reason. Magical Mystery Tour isn't one of my top favorite Fab Four songs, but I do prefer it to A Day in the Life. I see I'm in a small minority.

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 02:28:44 AM »

what Baz said   glassesslip

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:40:55 AM »

I would have voted for Mr. Moonlight if it were listed, Kev.

;D

nimrod

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 05:47:57 AM »

I would have voted for Mr. Moonlight if it were listed, Kev.

;D

Haha
as you know Bazil, I don't like that song, they should've changed it for Leave My Kitten Alone or even an original like One After 909 or........................hell.... ANYTHING !! 
Kansas City sucks as well, how to ruin an album eh   :-X

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 06:01:09 AM »

Haha
as you know Bazil, I don't like that song, they should've changed it for Leave My Kitten Alone or even an original like One After 909 or........................hell.... ANYTHING !! 
Kansas City sucks as well, how to ruin an album eh   :-X

:)

Any other ways of saying my name down there, mate?

I agree with you about Kansas City.  Paul butchered it.  This is how it really goes...

Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 11:40:57 PM »

Any other ways of saying my name down there, mate?

ha2ha

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 01:01:03 PM »

I recognize "A Day In The Life" as a masterpiece, but there's something I can't explain that I don't like about it.

The message of "Magical Mystery Tour" is more direct and simple, with a catchy chorus, inviting us not only to a special tour, but also to a new life.
I kind of agree with this, as I hardly play "A Day In The Life", but my Text ring is MMT!
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »

I think ADITL is dated. It was a chilling listen in its day, but now, for me, it's a bit tedious. But yes, a masterpiece in its time.

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »

I think ADITL is dated. It was a chilling listen in its day, but now, for me, it's a bit tedious. But yes, a masterpiece in its time.

boooooo

When I put my time travel test to ADITL it comes out smelling like roses.  Time Travel Test = what if the song were released today, would it sound ok, do ok commercially?   There aren't any epic (ouch, hated using that word) songs being released in recent history.  Where are the Bohemian Rhapsody's, Stairway to Heaven, ADITL, etc.?  You may all say you are tired of them, hate them, whatever, they are monumental "masterpieces" that transcend time (to me at least). 

Conclusion - "dated" is ok because I can't stand most of the crap of the last xx years

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »

I appreciate your sentiments, and maybe 'tedious' is too harsh a word to be used here. When I'm in a particular mood I can listen to all of 'Pepper' and feel just as moved as I originally did. But I would say the feeling was consistently stronger back then. Anyway, nice to see some passion for it. Hoorah!

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 05:03:19 AM »

ADITL over MMT for me any day and every day... and I really like MMT.  However, for me, ADITL is on a completely different level than MMT. 

As for your Time Travel Test, Meanie, I'm afraid I have to politely disagree w/ your assessment on ADITL.  Do I think it would sound ok if released today? Yes, absolutely.  But would it do ok commercially? Not a chance.  ADITL is not the kind of song/music the kids are listening to these days.  IMO, it wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hades of cracking the top 200 on the Billboard singles charts.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »

Agreed, commercial success is far down the list of my criteria though.  The commercial success is a result of (opinion) crap pop music for so many years.  They wouldn't listen to ADITL because they've been conditioned on crap. 

BeatleFan

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »

A Day in the Life, and by some margin. The best closing track they ever recorded.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.537 seconds with 85 queries.