Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1989 Ringo Starr Interview  (Read 2797 times)

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning
1989 Ringo Starr Interview
« on: March 22, 2010, 07:40:51 PM »

Reference Library: Ringo Interview
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: Old Ringo Interview (a bit long)
Date: 4 Jan 1995 21:36:45 GMT

[from _Oldies_ Fall 1989, published by now defunct radio station WKSG]

A STARR IS REBORN
Interview by Gary Graff

During last summer's world tour--his first in more than a decade--Ringo took some time out to talk about winning his battle with alcohol, his relationship with the other Beatles and the thrill of being back on stage.

In the Fab Four's pecking order, Ringo Starr was unquestionably the Fourth Beatle. Paul McCartney was the cute one, John Lennon was the wry social conscience of the band and George Harrison was its spiritual leader.

Then there was Ringo, born Richard Starkey 49 years ago in Liverpool, England. He became known for the rings on his fingers, his abundant charm and gift for witty wisecracks, his big smile and floppy cuddliness.

After the Beatles split up in 1969, Ringo's celebrity was suspect. He had some musical success--particularly with his "Ringo" album in 1973, which included two #1 singles, "Photograph" and "You're Sixteen"--but never matched his ex-mates as a commercial powerhouse. His foray into films also yielded lukewarm results, although he was great fun in the 1981 movie _Caveman_.

Mostly Ringo has made a living out of being an ex-Beatle. Unfortunately, that legacy has disregarded his musical accomplishments. "He's an underrated cat, really underrated as a drummer," says Dr. John, a.k.a. Mac Rebennac, a member of the All-Starr Band Ringo recruited for last summer's U.S. tour--his first ever and the first by a Beatle since Paul brought Wings to America in 1976.

Fellow All-Starr member Nils Lofgren, from Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, echoes Dr. John's praise. "It's not often I can lend my heart and soul to someone else's thing," Nils says. "But if there's someone you hit it off with and have a good feeling about, you hang on to that. And Ringo's that type of guy."

O: Over the years, you haven't recieved the same kind of public respect and reverence for your musical skills that, say, Charlie Watts or the late Keith Moon get. Yet other musicians, particularly drummers, hold you in high regard. Does that lack of respect bother you?

R: Not any more. In the early days, that was going around. People heard that I wasn't good in '62 and '64 and kind of kept along with that. But that's okay, because it's not up to them. I have to realize, in the end, that I know I'm a good player. That's what's important, and that other musicians think I'm a good player.

Full Interview: http://www.beatlesagain.com/breflib/ringo.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:19:53 PM by LennonStarrFan »

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
β€œHe's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: 1989 Ringo Starr Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:06:11 AM »

Cool interview. Thanks for posting.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
Re: 1989 Ringo Starr Interview
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:34:52 AM »

^I quite enjoyed the read as well! Thank You!!  :)

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 43 queries.