Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gary Wright Interview: The ‘Dream Weaver’ Gets ‘Connected,’ Tours w/ Ringo Starr  (Read 2348 times)

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning

Best known for his song “Dream Weaver,” musician Gary Wright began his entertainment career as a child actor, appearing in the 1954 original Broadway production of the long-running musical Fanny, playing Florence Henderson’s (The Brady Bunch) son Cesario.

Wright made his first recordings as part of a duo with Billy Markle and in 1967, joined the band Spooky Tooth as a singer and keyboardist. “Dream Weaver” was made famous during his solo career and the single peaked at #2 for three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1976, sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc by the RIAA in March 1976.

The Dream Weaver album went multi-platinum and included the songs “Love is Alive,” “Made to Love You,” “Power of Love,” and “Feel for Me.” In 1970 Wright met George Harrison and was asked to play on the ex-Beatle’s album All Things Must Pass that was certified 6x platinum by the RIAA, making it the highest selling of any Beatle solo album.

Wright’s last success on the Billboard Hot 100 was in 1981, with “Really Wanna Know You” (co-written by Al Thomson). In 2008, Wright toured with Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band. Two years later he toured with the band again, along with Rick Derringer, Edgar Winter, Richard Page, Wally Palmer, and Gregg Bissonette.

The legendary musician/songwriter released a new album in June 2010 called Connected, his first pop-rock album in over 20 years. Special guests on the record included Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh, and Jeff “Skunk” Baxter.

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): There is a song on the deluxe version of the album that involves George Harrison. Tell me about “To Discover Yourself.”

Gary Wright: George and I wrote that in 1971. He came over to my flat when I was in London. I was working on this song at the piano and played it for him. He had his guitar and started fooling around with it and came up with a lyrical idea. We quickly finished it within a couple of hours. I never did anything with it.

I just put it aside and I thought, “Well, one day I’ll record this.” But I never did and then the day when he passed away on November 29, 2001, I was in the studio. I decided to get on the piano and actually record the song. I memorialized that date and I put it in as a bonus track. I’m actually going to re-record it in the next couple of weeks and re-release another version of it which will be the more kind of produced deluxe version of that song.

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): You and George were close friends.

Gary Wright: We were very close.

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): How did that relationship begin?

Gary Wright: It began when I was invited by a friend of mine, Klaus Voormann, to come down and play on George’s first album, All Things Must Pass. Klaus knew all of The Beatles very well from Germany when they were playing there.

I played on the first track, which was “Isn’t it a Pity,” and George liked what I did and invited me to come back the next day. I wound up doing the whole album with him. We became good friends very quickly. We shared similar Eastern philosophies. He was very much into that and so was I. That was our immediate link.

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): Have you ever played with John Lennon or Paul McCartney?

Gary Wright: I met both of them, but never actually played on their records. John actually asked me to play on “Imagine,” but I was unfortunately on tour and I couldn’t do it. That was a shame.

I met Paul recently when we were doing the All Starr show in New York at Radio City. He came up on stage and sang “They Say It’s Your Birthday” to surprise Ringo. It was quite a surprise and Ringo wasn’t expecting that. To see him run onstage with his bass and sing that song was quite a mind-blowing experience.

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): You just finished a tour with Ringo Starr and the All Starr Band. Does Ringo often speak of his time with The Beatles?

Gary Wright: Oh yeah. We get involved in conversations about that. Ringo is great. He’s a wonderful human being. He’s funny, just a lovely person.

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): Are you set to appear in George Harrison’s upcoming bio pic?

Gary Wright: Yes. It’s a Martin Scorcese film and will be released in 2011.

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): Will it be about George’s entire life?

Gary Wright: I don’t know. I know that part of it will be about the spiritual aspect of George’s life. I think that is something Martin was interested in.

Source: http://smashinginterviews.com/interviews/musicians/gary-wright-interview-the-dream-weaver-gets-connected-tours-with-ringo-starr

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
“He's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Page created in 0.767 seconds with 35 queries.