Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sometimes I wish I was vegetarian  (Read 8480 times)

nimrod

KelMar

Re: Sometimes I wish I was vegetarian
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »

some people are completely evil;

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/covert-evidence-of-cruelty-halts-abattoir-20120209-1rx7w.html

I can't bring myself to watch stuff like this but I don't need to to agree with your statement. It probably costs more money to do things the humane way.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 12:17:04 PM »

I went veggie because of this very type of thing. Just saying.

:-\

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »

My son and I hunt and eat the deer that we kill but sometimes that even gets to me when you dont get them with a good clean shot. I hate to see animals suffer, but I cant ever see myself going vegetarian. Shameful as it is, when I eat a burger or a steak, I just dont think about the mass slaughtering. Just being truthful.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »

i was 5 years a butcher in a slaughterhouse. ;sorry

nimrod

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »

i was 5 years a butcher in a slaughterhouse. ;sorry

the trouble is Badgirl you seem to get the odd psycho working in these places who decides to take matters into his own evil hands

very sad, I hope the place gets shut down forever

Klang, I admire your conviction.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 09:15:27 AM »

Klang, I admire your conviction.

Thanks much, but I have to credit my wife with having the real conviction. When we got together a few years ago I was a meat eater, but her conviction to take no part in that, because of her love and respect for all living things, moved me to go along with it.

I have no regrets. My mouth waters for a juicy steak from time to time, but not that often. There are lots of veggie based substitutes available that have meaty flavors. Surprisingly good ones. The transition isn't that difficult to make.

To each their own. It's a personal choice.

roll:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 05:08:25 AM »

There are lots of veggie based substitutes available that have meaty flavors. Surprisingly good ones. 

Even though I'm not a vegetarian I actually prefer veggie burgers. If I took the time to do some research I am sure I could adapt to living without meat.

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »

What about me, I cannot not only eat meat but even smell it and see these red pieces of carcasses in the stores :-X
However, very rarely I eat fish or chicken. I just cannot stand meat of the mammal. Without success I was trying to tell my relatives what they eat and to show them movies… The one good thing is that my wife almost do not eat meat because I do not ask her to cook it, and she do not want to cook just for herself  ;yes
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:45:08 AM by Dmitry »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »

It probably costs more money to do things the humane way.

Personally, I don't think there is a "humane" way to produce meat. I think that killing a living creature is never humane, no matter how well you treat it. To produce food in a truely humane way, completely vegetarian, would actually be quite a bit cheaper. I've been told that it takes about 10 pounds of crops to produce a pound of meat.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 03:57:07 AM »

I just saw this and couldnt help myself. I laughed.  ha2ha

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 04:52:02 AM »

I have been a Vegetarian for about 20 years now. There probably is not a joke I haven't heard.

I had wanted to vegetarian for a long time previously, but it was a Club Sandwich (Paul's Fun Club Magazine, at the time) had Paul and Linda touting vegetarianism. I read about all of the cruelty that goes on, and I couldn't bear it, so I decided I would try for a week or two and see how it went. Here I am some 20+ years later.

I can see situations where it is necessary to eat meat. Almost two years ago, I took a trip to Alaska and we drove through areas where it would be very difficult to farm sufficiently to feed yourself. Don't get me wrong, there is a surprising amount of farming that goes on in Alaska, but wildlife is sustenance.

So I am not against eating an animal, I just feel strongly that the animal should be killed humanely. The slaughterhouses are horrible places. The animals scream before they go in, as they smell the blood, and they get scared.

Hunting for food may be necessary.

I encourage anyone to become a vegetarian. I have probably saved a lot of animals.

Paul encourages "Meat Free Monday". So if you could only do it for one day a week, it would be good.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »

I have probably saved a lot of animals.

You have. In America, the average meat eater is responsible for the death of about 90 animals per year.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »

You have. In America, the average meat eater is responsible for the death of about 90 animals per year.

Then over 20 years that is what, 1800 animals...
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 09:40:21 PM »

I have been a Vegetarian for about 20 years now. There probably is not a joke I haven't heard.

I had wanted to vegetarian for a long time previously, but it was a Club Sandwich (Paul's Fun Club Magazine, at the time) had Paul and Linda touting vegetarianism. I read about all of the cruelty that goes on, and I couldn't bear it, so I decided I would try for a week or two and see how it went. Here I am some 20+ years later.

I can see situations where it is necessary to eat meat. Almost two years ago, I took a trip to Alaska and we drove through areas where it would be very difficult to farm sufficiently to feed yourself. Don't get me wrong, there is a surprising amount of farming that goes on in Alaska, but wildlife is sustenance.

So I am not against eating an animal, I just feel strongly that the animal should be killed humanely. The slaughterhouses are horrible places. The animals scream before they go in, as they smell the blood, and they get scared.

Hunting for food may be necessary.

I encourage anyone to become a vegetarian. I have probably saved a lot of animals.

Paul encourages "Meat Free Monday". So if you could only do it for one day a week, it would be good.

A very similar story to mine, Gary910.

I think I became vegetarian about 16 years ago - and it was the cruelty associated with keeping and slaughtering the animals that turned me off meat. I know humans are designed to eat meat, but I just don't like the way animals are treated.
My wife and kids are all vegetarian too. If my children ever came to me and said they wanted to eat meat then I wouldn't stop them as it's their choice to make not mine, but I'm happy to say that both are very anti, and won't go anywhere near places like McDonalds. They're very fit, happy and healthy kids too, which is a bonus!

As with many things in life, it's an individual choice, so I would never look down my nose at a meat-eater and would expect the same courtesy back.

PS. I didn't even click on the link in the original post - just reading the title in the link put me off!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:41:52 PM by peterbell1 »

nimrod

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:36 PM »

Personally I think Gary & Peter have a great attitude to the subject, poor Dmitry is deprived and Todd is a major cause for concern  ha2ha

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »

Todd is just a major cause for concern on every front...  ha2ha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 05:48:20 AM »

Why wont you guys be nice?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 07:55:04 AM »

I think I became vegetarian about 16 years ago - and it was the cruelty associated with keeping and slaughtering the animals that turned me off meat.
I've been a vegetarian for about 9 years now. For me it was mostly the idea that living creatures were dying for me, and I didn't like that. I just didn't want to be responsible for anyone's or anything's premature death. I read a quote from George Bernard Shaw in which he called meat eaters "living graves" and that did it for me.

I know humans are designed to eat meat
I disagree. Meat eating animals just need their claws and teeth to kill and eat their prey. We need guns, knives, fire and pans. If we'd only have our bare hands and teeth like all the carnivores and omnivores, we probably wouldn't be eating a whole lot of meat. ;)

As with many things in life, it's an individual choice, so I would never look down my nose at a meat-eater and would expect the same courtesy back.
Amen.

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 08:13:35 AM »

Why wont you guys be nice?

I am nice with "living graves"  :)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.78 seconds with 78 queries.