Beatles forums > Songs

Eleanor Rigby

(1/11) > >>

JudeRigby:
I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on what the song meant...my friend and I came up with a couple of reasonings:  1) They were just singing about how obscure people are.  2) Eleanor Rigby and Father McKenzie were having an affair...I may be completely opposite of the real idea but comments welcome.. ;D :D

tkitna:
Paul had the music of the song written before the lyrics (which was common place). He came up with the verse "Picks up the rice in a church where a wedding has been" and formed the idea that the song would be about lonely people. As for Eleanor,,this was just a name that Paul liked (he said probably because of Eleanor Bron who he knew at the time) and Rigby was a name of a shop that Paul walked past.

Most of us know that Father McCartney was the original thought up name for the priest because it just fit the syllables, but paul didnt want to use McCartney because of his dad. John and Paul went to the phone book and looked at the next name in line after Mccartney,,,,hence McKenzie.

Nothing more to add. Just about lonely people.

Bruno:
I read somewhere that there's actually an Eleanor Rigby buried in the Church's graveyeard where John met Paul in 1957 while playing for the Quarrymen.

:
[quote by=Bruno link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1083192537,s=2 date=1083244871]I read somewhere that there's actually an Eleanor Rigby buried in the Church's graveyeard where John met Paul in 1957 while playing for the Quarrymen.[/quote]

Tis true.

Right next to Maxwell Edison's grave (not true)  ;-)

JudeRigby:
I understand the basis of the poem....but I was wondering about the lines about Father McKenzie...like "Father McKenzie, writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear, no one comes near.." and "Father McKenzie wiping his hands as he walks from the grave, no one was saved.." any ideas on these lines?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version