Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The Doors  (Read 26817 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Doors
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 09:40:37 PM »

I love The Doors. But mostly their pop side and not so much their blues side. My favorite Doors album is hands down The Soft Parade, which pretty much everyone else seems to think is one of their weakest.

I think Jim Morrison wasn't the only genius in The Doors. Ray Manzarek is a criminally underrated musician. Sure, Robby Krieger was (is) an amazing musician as well, but to me, the typical Doors sound was 45% Jim's voice and 45% Ray's keyboards. "Light My Fire" is a mediocre song without the organ part.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 11:59:39 PM »

Light My Fire, Riders on the Storm, Break on Through are some of my favorite songs! It is a shame Jim died so young!
<br />

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 12:23:23 AM »

I like the Doors, but I tend to have mixed reactions to them.  I don't look at Jim Morrison as the mystical genius that his big fans do, but the guy did have talent and charisma.  

Best songs -- People are Strange, Spanish Caravan, Love Her Madly, The Crystal Ship, Whisky Bar, Love Street, Roadhouse Blues, Riders on the Storm, When the Music's Over, Light My Fire (though I've heard it way too much).  I can take or leave The End -- it doesn't do anything for me.

When the movie The Doors came out in '91, I saw it about 4 times in the first month it was out.  My buddies and I would smoke a joint and trip out during it.  Then I saw it a few years later and thought it was sort of cotton-candyish, a tasty treat but without much substance.  I think that's more the fault of Oliver Stone than anything -- all his movies (except maybe Platoon and Wall Street) seem to lack any kind of weighty substance.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 05:23:44 AM »

I like all those Doors songs too!

But maybe my favorite is one that isn't talked about much, I love it mainly because of the INCREDIBLY DISTORTED GUITARS at the end - "20th Century Fox". I love the chutzpah/moxie/cojones/your noun here of any group that basically decides "You know, what this song really needs here is white noise .... lots of it! ". Rivals John in "She's So Heavy", maybe even (gasp!) better!

"She's fashionably lean ..."  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 05:37:25 AM »

Really....?  Maybe I should listen to 20th Century Fox again!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 05:45:29 AM »

Quote from: 1333
Really....?  Maybe I should listen to 20th Century Fox again!

I'm going to also!! (If I can find it...)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 02:34:03 AM »

I'm reading Ray's biography about his life with the Doors and it's hilarious so far =D He's such a smart ass

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2008, 04:21:38 AM »

They were definitely a influential and memorable band from the 60's...
<br />

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2008, 09:26:16 AM »

I like the Doors a bunch too, but a small amount can last a long time.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 09:32:01 AM »

I like the Doors, but I tend to have mixed reactions to them.  I don't look at Jim Morrison as the mystical genius that his big fans do, but the guy did have talent and charisma.  

Best songs -- People are Strange, Spanish Caravan, Love Her Madly, The Crystal Ship, Whisky Bar, Love Street, Roadhouse Blues, Riders on the Storm, When the Music's Over, Light My Fire (though I've heard it way too much).  I can take or leave The End -- it doesn't do anything for me.

What he said!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »

Not my sort of thing, but "LA Woman," Light My Fire," and "Roadhouse Blues" are decent enough. Haven't heard The Doors in ages, actually.  :)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »

OK, like I said, I love The Doors. But that didn't keep me from FUBARing ... the song with the distortion from hell wasn't "20th Century Fox", it was "Hello I Love You".

Here is a REALLY cool clip of them playing live in a street, superimposed on the real song. Like John said about "Cold Turkey" - play this [size=14]LOUD[/size][/b]!!!  (the bass way up too!)

"Hello I Love You":    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34wa2jehek

BTW, "20th Century Fox" is pretty excellent too!!  ...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnnWdI74bAQ
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »

Oh yes and Love Her Madly and & Hello I love You... I love those ones too!
<br />

blackmath

• A Beginning
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »

oh, i love the doors. jim has the coolest voice ever and the organs are amazing.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 10:27:55 PM »

Quote from: 1204
They were definitely a influential and memorable band from the 60's...

Memorable, absolutely.  Influential?  That's a tougher call for me.  What bands/performers that followed afterwards would you look at and think, "Obviously heavily influenced by Morrison/the Doors."

I have heard comparisons of Patti Smith to Jim Morrison.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 11:44:50 PM »

Maybe influenced was a wrong choice of word... But I think that many people when asked to name some of the greatest bands from the 60's,  many would name The Doors as one of them.  And I think because they were so big, that many up and coming artists probably fed off of that.  Off the top of my head, your right, I can't really think of a band that sounds similiar to them.  But I am sure that they must have influenced many bands.
<br />

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 10:39:16 AM »

Memorable, absolutely.  Influential?  That's a tougher call for me.  What bands/performers that followed afterwards would you look at and think, "Obviously heavily influenced by Morrison/the Doors."

Musically they weren't that influencial. But Jim's stage attitude could've been inspirational for a lot of punk bands.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »

Uh, have you ever seen Scott Weiland? I think he actually thinks he IS Jim Morrison. Well, sometimes he thinks he Mick Jagger, but it's mostly Jim.  I think you all are underestimating the power of the Doors.

Here's a start anyway.
From Wiki:

Morrison remains one of the most popular and influential singers/writers in rock history, as The Doors' catalog has become a staple of classic rock radio stations. To this day, he is widely regarded as the prototypical rock star: surly, sexy, scandalous and mysterious. The leather pants he was fond of wearing both onstage and off have since become stereotyped as rock star apparel.

Seminal punk rock band Iggy and the Stooges are said to have formed after lead singer Iggy Pop was inspired by Morrison while attending a Doors concert in Ann Arbor, Michigan.[39] One of Iggy Pop's most popular songs, "The Passenger", is said to be based on one of Morrison's poems.[40] After Morrison's death, Iggy was considered as a replacement for Morrison; the surviving Doors gave Iggy some of Morrison's belongings, and hired him as a vocalist for a series of shows.

Wallace Fowlie, professor emeritus of French literature at Duke University, wrote Rimbaud and Jim Morrison, subtitled "The Rebel as Poet

madman

• A Beginning
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2008, 02:16:15 PM »

Quote from: 56
I love The Doors. But mostly their pop side and not so much their blues side. My favorite Doors album is hands down The Soft Parade, which pretty much everyone else seems to think is one of their weakest.I think Jim Morrison wasn't the only genius in The Doors. Ray Manzarek is a criminally underrated musician. Sure, Robby Krieger was (is) an amazing musician as well, but to me, the typical Doors sound was 45% Jim's voice and 45% Ray's keyboards. "Light My Fire" is a mediocre song without the organ part.

I love the Doors too, but I think The Soft Parade is one of the worst albums ever made, period.  Just all around weak aongs and production.  I knew a girl who loved that album and she used to play it every time I saw her, just to annoy me!

I think their first album is their overall best, although the others have their highlights ("When The Music's Over", "Not To Touch The Earth", and "Peace Frog", among others).

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2008, 02:29:48 PM »

Quote from: 1330
I love the Doors too, but I think The Soft Parade is one of the worst albums ever made, period.  Just all around weak aongs and production.

I like every single song on that album.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 83 queries.