Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best book about George  (Read 2767 times)

Oasis

• One And One Is Two
Best book about George
« on: July 05, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »

Hey folks!
I‘m about to buy a few new Beatles books and would really appreciate any suggestions. I currently own Paul‘s Many Years From Now, Lennon- biography by Ray Coleman, Can‘t Buy Me Love, MOJO‘s 10 Years That Shook The World, a picture book 365 days and Hunter Davies‘s Biography. I am especially interested in book about George as I don‘t have one yet. But I really want it to be a quality book with correct information and no silly mistakes...

Any suggestions are much appreciated :)

Peace and Love
Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy.

......I <3 Macca......  :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

aerolls

• One And One Is Two
Re: Best book about George
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »

Hey folks!
I‘m about to buy a few new Beatles books and would really appreciate any suggestions. I currently own Paul‘s Many Years From Now, Lennon- biography by Ray Coleman, Can‘t Buy Me Love, MOJO‘s 10 Years That Shook The World, a picture book 365 days and Hunter Davies‘s Biography. I am especially interested in book about George as I don‘t have one yet. But I really want it to be a quality book with correct information and no silly mistakes...

Any suggestions are much appreciated :)

Peace and Love

After reading Peter Doggett's book You Never Give Me Yr Money , I wanted to get my hands on every quality Beatles related solo book I could find. Here's my advice

1) I Me Mine by George Harrison.
  To me, you have to start off at the source and since Olivia just re-released this in paperback it's a must for all Beatle-fans

2) While My Guitar Gently Weeps: The Music of George Harrison by Simon Leng
  This one just came out and Simon writes about every solo song George has written, performed and played on. Kind of like a Revolution in the Head for Harrison. Most Excellent.

3) The George Harrison Encyclopedia by Bill Harry
I stumbled upon the collection of these fab four individual encyclopedia for John and Paul. I bought both and loved them, The George and Ringo volumes aren't as comprehensive but are still essential.

I say if you have these three books, y're set for now. I have a feeling with the release of Martin Scorsese's Harrison documentary there will be a flood of Harrison books, official and/or otherwise, coming out in the next six months.

I hope this helps, I read most, if not, all of the customer reviews on Amazon and BN.com before purchasing. Good Luck,

Happy hunting and eventually reading,

aerolls

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
Re: Best book about George
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:29:32 PM »

I Me Mine is obviously required reading for George fans, but just a note--the book looks very thick but the autobiography section of it is very brief. I don't believe George was one to go on at length about himself and I don't think he even spoke that much about the Beatles in it. The rest of the book is filled with his songs/lyrics, pictures, etc.

This is not specifically about George, but I would highly recommend The Beatles Anthology book because it contains MANY excerpts (from interviews, etc.) taken from the Beatles themselves. The way it's laid out makes it very clear who said what, and it's beautifully designed with great images and such. Excellent book.

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 39 queries.