Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul's N.Y. visits to John.  (Read 984 times)

Revolution

• Getting Better
Paul's N.Y. visits to John.
« on: June 03, 2007, 07:29:40 PM »

I was thinking the other day. When Paul would visit John in N.Y. in the 70's , what do you thibk they talked about?The old days, Beatles? Music?The other members?

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Paul's N.Y. visits to John.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 10:42:18 PM »

Quote from: 593
I was thinking the other day. When Paul would visit John in N.Y. in the 70's , what do you thibk they talked about?The old days, Beatles? Music?The other members?

They were brief visits ... family stuff and recipes.

THE BEATLES DIARY VOLUME 2: AFTER THE BREAK-UP 1970-2001

"Saturday April 24, 1976

The album Wings At The Speed Of Sound reaches number one in the American charts. Paul, happy with the news, makes an evening visit to John and Yoko's Dakota apartment. By chance, John, eager to watch appearances by Raquel Welch and John Sebastian, the former front man for The Lovin' Spoonful, is watching the NBC TV comedy show Saturday Night Live (transmitted on Channel 4, WNBC between 11:30pm and 1:00am ET), and which also just happens to feature the famous Lorne Michaels' "Beatles Reunion" offer. With both John and Paul watching, Lorne Michaels delivers his legendary speech, unbeknownst to him that two of the ex-Beatles are actually tuned in:

"Hi, I'm Lorne Michaels, the producer of Saturday Night. Right now, we're being seen by approximately 22 million viewers, but please allow me, if I may, to address myself to four very special people ... John, Paul, George and Ringo ... The Beatles. Lately, there have been a lot of rumours to the effect that the four of you might be getting back together, that would be great. In my book, The Beatles are the best thing that ever happened to music. It goes deeper than that, you're not just a musical group, you're a part of us, we grew up with you. It's for this reason that I'm inviting you to come on our show. Now, we've heard and read a lot about personality and legal conflicts that might prevent you guys from re-uniting, that's none of my business. You guys will have to handle that. But it's also been said that no one has yet come up with enough money to satisfy you. Well, if it's money you want, there's no problem here. The National Broadcasting Company authorises me to authorise you a cheque for $3,000. Here can you get a close-up of this?" (Michaels holds a cheque, made payable to The Beatles', close up to the camera.) "As you can see, verifiably, a cheque made out to you ... The Beatles for $3,000. All you have to do is sing three Beatle tunes. 'She Loves You, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah', that's $1,000 right there. You know the words, and it'll be easy. Like I said, this cheque is made out to The Beatles'. You divide it anyway you want, if you want to give Ringo less that's up to you. I'd rather not get involved. I'm sincere about this. If it helps you to reach a decision to reunite well, it's a worthwhile investment. You have agents, you know where I can be reached. Just think about it, OK? Thank you."

John recalls the evening: "Paul was visiting us at our place in the Dakota with Linda. He and I were watching it and we went ha-ha, wouldn't it be funny if we went down and we almost went down to the studio, just as a gag. We nearly got into the cab, but we were actually too tired."

Paul and Linda leave the Dakota apartment as John and Yoko begin watching the 1960 science-fiction film The Time Machine starring Rod Taylor.

Sunday April 25, 1976

Pleased by how well the two of them got on together last night, Paul returns to John's Dakota apartment this evening. Unfortunately, the welcome is not so warming, as John recalls in the September 1980 Playboy interviews: "That was a period when Paul just kept turning up at our door with a guitar. I would let him in, but finally I said to him, 'Please call before you come over. It's not 1956, and turning up at the door isn't the same anymore. You know, just give me a ring.' That upset him, but I didn't mean it badly. I just meant that I was taking care of a baby all day, and some guy turns up at the door with a guitar." Paul departs, unaware that he will never see John again. Paul immediately heads for Dallas, Texas and some Wings rehearsals.
"

from here: http://wingspan.ru/bookseng/diary2/b09_1976.html

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 11:08:35 PM »

The September 29th 1980 issue of Newsweek featured an exclusive interview with John Lennon.

Q: "Paul McCartney's theory is that you became a recluse because you'd done everything - but be yourself."

JOHN: "What the hell does that mean? Paul didn't know what I was doing - he was as curious as everyone else. It's ten years since I really communicated with him. I know as much about him as he does about me, which is zilch. About two years ago, he turned up at the door. I said, 'Look, do you mind ringin' first? I've just had a hard day with the baby. I'm worn out and you're walkin' in with a damn guitar!"

from here: http://www.geocities.com/~beatleboy1/db1980.0929.beatles.html

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 11:19:04 PM »

Playboy Interview With Paul and Linda McCartney (1984)

"[...]

PLAYBOY: "Do you remember your last conversation with John?"

PAUL: "Yes. That is a nice thing, a consoling factor for me, because I do feel it was sad that we never actually sat down and straightened our differences out. But fortunately for me, the last phone conversation I ever had with him was really great, and we didn't have any kind of blowup. It could have easily been one of the other phone calls, when we blew up at each other and slammed the phone down."

PLAYBOY: "Do you remember what you talked about?"

PAUL: "It was just a very happy conversation about his family, my family. Enjoying his life very much; Sean was a very big part of it. And thinking about getting on with his career. I remember he said, 'Oh, God, I'm like Aunt Mimi, padding round here in me dressing gown' ...robe, as he called it, cuz he was picking up the American vernacular... 'feeding the cats in me robe and cooking and putting a cup of tea on. This housewife wants a career!' It was that time for him. He was about to launch Double Fantasy."

[...]"

from here: http://www.geocities.com/~beatleboy1/dbpm.int1.html

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:47:42 PM »

Great material, raxo.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 03:26:47 AM »

Quote from: 713
Great material, raxo.
Thanks, wingsman  ;) ... from time to time only!

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 47 queries.