Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: George Martin Interviews  (Read 8341 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: George Martin Interviews
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »

Quote from: 551
Wow, another terrific article. Thanks so much, Geoff!

I just fell in love with Sir George a little bit more.

Cool stuff about McCartney. Yes, he absolutely strikes me as someone who needs someone to stand up to him. Everyone can use a good editor/sounding-board, what have you. But he's so strong-minded he'll push his way through-- even when he shouldn't. Ah, John, he needed you!

:'(
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 03:59:50 PM »

Very true about Paul!!!

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 04:50:50 PM »

What is wrong with Paul's efforts today?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »

Quote from: 662
Seems like George doesn't like Paul's recent work.  What do you think?
Oh, I think that's a bit harsh. Certainly George likes Paul's stuff-- but some of it needs work. This is true with any creative endeavor. Musicians here, back me up, but I've heard most people write several songs for every one they record. According to Wiki, for Michael Jackson's "Bad" album: "Jackson wrote a reported sixty songs for the new album and recorded thirty, wanting to use them all on a three-disc set. Instead his longtime producer Quincy Jones cut it down to ten tracks and a bonus song making it a single LP." This album became Jackson's 2nd biggest seller.

Artists work in various ways. John would tend to bring rough songs, sketches really, into the studio and have people flesh them out. Paul tended to finish the works in his head. So he would be clear about what he wanted-- but he's still going to need an objective voice to tell him when what he's imagining isn't working. This doesn't in any way imply that Paul does shoddy work. It's just that what an artist envisions in his or her head doesn't always come across to the outside world the way it needs to, or most effectively. That's why many artists enjoy working with a good producer-- someone who can provide feedback and direction, because everyone needs that.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 04:40:16 AM »

Quote from: 662
Seems like George doesn't like Paul's recent work.  What do you think?

He was just saying that producers have to be able to handle the artist's ego or the work is going to suffer, and his observation that there is no one around Paul willing to tell him when he's going off the rails is an old one made by many commentators that I can remember reading back in the seventies. It doesn't imply that all of Paul's solo work is bad; it's just an explanation for why some of it doesn't work.  :)

Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 48 queries.