Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Revolution 9  (Read 17515 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Song Of The Week - Revolution 9
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »

I'm going to have to say it and this is without reading the comments, but if anybody finds any enjoyment of any kind in that mess of gibberish bullsh*t, they are being Beatle homers and nothing more.

You call it gibberish bullsh**t like it's a bad thing. I'm beginning to suspect you're not fond of the piece.

nimrod

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 11:53:32 AM »

I'm going to have to say it and this is without reading the comments, but if anybody finds any enjoyment of any kind in that mess of gibberish bullsh*t, they are being Beatle homers and nothing more.

ha2ha

I am a Beatle homer (whatever that is) I freely admit it

I had the White album on in the car on the way to the white album concert, mainly for Gwyneth to hear some of the songs (she's not a Beatle nut like me) anyway Wild Honey Pie came on and she said ' how did they get away with that tripe. any other group wouldve been slated for recording songs like that'...............I tried to defend the indefensible by saying 'they were just having fun, I have to admit though, it is tripe  ha2ha

I think Rev 9 is tripe also, but something in me likes it.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 12:32:49 PM »

I think Rev 9 is tripe also, but something in me likes it.

If I ever marry again I think I'll use it for the bridal waltz.  partypeople

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »

Yes, the thing is would anyone actually change anything on the 'White Album'?

Sure, 'Hey Jude' could replace 'Revolution No. 9' and 'Revolution' could replace 'Wild Honey Pie' and 'Lady Madonna' or the early take of 'Across The Universe' could replace 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road' but then is wouldn't be the 'White Album'!

Didn't Paul himself say about 20 years ago when a journalist argued how the 'White Album' could be better.....'It's the f******* White Album by The Beatles!!!!'

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 02:57:13 PM »

That's it. It is what it is. And this thing is an indelible part of it, for better or worse.

roll:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »

Personally Id have preferred a single album

it wouldve been very strong

Im a Beatle nut so I can listen to the tripe on here but there is a lot of extremely average songs

Wild Honey Pie
Dont Pass Me By
REv 9
Rocky Raccoon
Bungalow Bill
WDWDIITR

all shouldve been ditched

See this is what I never understand, Step Inside Love = much better song than all the above

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »

Im a Beatle nut so I can listen to the tripe on here but there is a lot of extremely average songs

Wild Honey Pie
Dont Pass Me By
REv 9
Rocky Raccoon
Bungalow Bill
WDWDIITR

See this is what I never understand, Step Inside Love = much better song than all the above

I like that song!

Don't pass me by.mov

Mama Tried Band

Don't Pass Me By - The Georgia Satellites Live Roskilde festivalen 1988 (part 3 of 8)

The Georgia Satellites

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 09:58:25 PM »

Wild Honey Pie
Dont Pass Me By
REv 9
Rocky Raccoon
Bungalow Bill
WDWDIITR

Yep!  I like that one too!

Back Forty - Rocky Racoon (Beatles cover)

Back Forty

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 11:57:42 PM »

Hell yes i'd change stuff on the White Album. I remember doing the microscope on it and thinking to myself that there's a bunch of crap on this album that I really don't care for. It easily should have been a single record.

Didn't Paul himself say about 20 years ago when a journalist argued how the 'White Album' could be better.....'It's the f******* White Album by The Beatles!!!!'

Paul and John both had a few instances where they said screw the people, we're the Beatles and they'll buy it anyways and of course we did. In hindsight, they shouldn't have gotten away with a few of those things. Revolution #9 is one of them.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 12:27:39 AM »

Hell yes i'd change stuff on the White Album. I remember doing the microscope on it and thinking to myself that there's a bunch of crap on this album that I really don't care for. It easily should have been a single record.

Paul and John both had a few instances where they said screw the people, we're the Beatles and they'll buy it anyways and of course we did. In hindsight, they shouldn't have gotten away with a few of those things. Revolution #9 is one of them.

I think most of us vote with our feet on this. I have a playlist with a cut down version of the White Album. Cutting off Rev 9, Wild Honey Pie etc. I really don't care to listen to them. So like most I think a single album would have been objectively better for people who aren't "homers" (also never heard that term but I'll go with it). Theres stuff on there if it were recorded by any other band I wouldn't pay attention to in the least. So the Beatles were taking advantage of our devotion.

But I have some sympathy for the view that one of the points of the white album is this sprawling canvas with top class stuff, experimental crap and throwaway ditties. So it has its own reason for being.  I don't begrudge its existence. I simply avoid listening to stuff on it I don't like.

And I guess Paul has a point. It remains one of the Beatles best selling albums and usually rates highly in critics choices of all time best albums  If it hadn't sold criticisms would have had more currency.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:57:59 AM by Moogmodule »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 01:32:00 AM »

If I ever marry again I think I'll use it for the bridal waltz.  partypeople

Helter Skelter is a good choice too.   ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 02:17:06 AM »

I wouldn't want to change a single thing.  The album reflects a certain period of time for The Beatles and the world.  My disliking a song doesn't mean that everyone else dislikes it too.  "Different strokes for different folks."

nimrod

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 03:10:55 AM »

I wouldn't want to change a single thing.  The album reflects a certain period of time for The Beatles and the world.  My disliking a song doesn't mean that everyone else dislikes it too.  "Different strokes for different folks."

your a homer too   ;D

(new word for me)

I wouldve much preferred a strong single album, I agree with George Martin on this

theres so much lame crap on there it spoils the great tracks a bit

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 03:45:10 AM »

your a homer too   ;D

Ain't no bout a doubt it!    ;D

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 06:11:07 AM »

But.....erm.....it's the 'White Album'...the WHITE ALBUM!!!
Changing it would be like asking Damien Hirst to alter the smile on the Mona Lisa cos it's a bit too enigmatic.

I wouldn't change anything on it, not a second, if anything I'd have preferred a bit more of the 'Wonderwall'-style George.

Now as for the fantastically over-rated 'Exile On Main Street', the original reviews/opinion on Exile were right, the revisionism wrong, never has a double-LP more warranted being a single LP.

Keep the brilliant side 2, the Stones last hurrah!, Sweet Virginia/Torn & Frayed/Sweet Black Angel/Loving Cup.
Ditch the Honky Tonk Women-lite Tumbling Dice and Happy, and have a side 1 made up of the leftovers. 

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »

Homer = Fanboy/girl!

Homer is mainly an American term for people who are blindly devoted to sports teams as opposed to rational, objective fans like me who have realistic views and expectations for their teams.   :angel:
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 04:24:42 PM »

But.....erm.....it's the 'White Album'...the WHITE ALBUM!!!
Changing it would be like asking Damien Hirst to alter the smile on the Mona Lisa cos it's a bit too enigmatic.

I wouldn't change anything on it, not a second, if anything I'd have preferred a bit more of the 'Wonderwall'-style George.

Now as for the fantastically over-rated 'Exile On Main Street', the original reviews/opinion on Exile were right, the revisionism wrong, never has a double-LP more warranted being a single LP.

Keep the brilliant side 2, the Stones last hurrah!, Sweet Virginia/Torn & Frayed/Sweet Black Angel/Loving Cup.
Ditch the Honky Tonk Women-lite Tumbling Dice and Happy, and have a side 1 made up of the leftovers.

What a Beatles Homer!   ;D

I actually would cut more of the White Album than Exile.  I agree with the revisionism, I think it's brilliant.  I agree that it is their last hurrah.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »

I'm not a Beatles Homer, I'm a 50s and 60s Homer.

Revisionism is rarely a good thing.
I've never come across anyone, either personally or in print or on film, who lived through the 60s (i.e. born in the 1930s or 40s) who really, I mean really, reckons 'Exile On Main Street.'

I think most of its plaudits come from the various generations afterwards who buy into all the stadium rock/big ticket prices/tongue logo/drugs/heroin chic rubbish.

If anyone can show me anyone from the 60s who is on record as really loving it, I'll be happy to accept that my theory is less than 100% accurate.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 10:18:24 PM »

I'm not a Beatles Homer, I'm a 50s and 60s Homer.

Revisionism is rarely a good thing.
I've never come across anyone, either personally or in print or on film, who lived through the 60s (i.e. born in the 1930s or 40s) who really, I mean really, reckons 'Exile On Main Street.'

I think most of its plaudits come from the various generations afterwards who buy into all the stadium rock/big ticket prices/tongue logo/drugs/heroin chic rubbish.

If anyone can show me anyone from the 60s who is on record as really loving it, I'll be happy to accept that my theory is less than 100% accurate.

Well I was born in '55 and remember when Exile came out and loved it then. I wan't born in the 30s or 40s but at 17, I was old enough to appreciate it.   I always thought it their best record.  I never bought into the heroin, tongue, etc.  In fact, I don't like most of what the Stones released after Exile.  But that's just me.  I don't care what critics thought about it.

The Homer comment was a joke.

nimrod

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 10:54:35 PM »

Well I was born in '55 and remember when Exile came out and loved it then. I wan't born in the 30s or 40s but at 17, I was old enough to appreciate it.   I always thought it their best record.  I never bought into the heroin, tongue, etc.  In fact, I don't like most of what the Stones released after Exile.  But that's just me.  I don't care what critics thought about it.

The Homer comment was a joke.

I always thought Sticky Fingers theyre best album, I played that to death, subjective I suppose
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.86 seconds with 83 queries.