Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Microscope: Forever Changes (Love)  (Read 34974 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Microscope: Forever Changes (Love)
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2011, 02:52:26 AM »

Back to the Love topic, I'd like to dedicate a space to Bryan MacLean. I think he was a very good songwriter, overlooked by Arthur Lee's genius. Bryan never had more than one or two songs on each Love's album, probably because Arthur didn't let him to have more; but several of his not originally released songs have surfaced as demos on a record called Ifyoubelievein. These are the first two songs from that album:

Bryan MacLean "Barber John"

Bryan MacLean "Fresh Hope"
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2011, 02:54:03 AM »

Here's a live one from ARTHUR LEE & LOVE!

Arthur Lee & Love - Andmoreagain (Live)

Bobber

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »

Remarkable that this thread gets as much replies as the microscope on Band On The Run. Makes me wonder what I'm doing around here.

On second thoughts, I decided to take a break for a while.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2011, 08:15:10 AM »

On second thoughts, I decided to take a break for a while.

I've been looking for that thread everyday dangnabbit. Lets make it a short break Cor.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »

Bobber

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »

I've been looking for that thread everyday dangnabbit. Lets make it a short break Cor.

When I checked the recent posts this morning it took me to page 4 before I found anything Beatles. I know, I know. But still.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »

The fact that he released plenty of filler. The only thing loony would be to think everything he did was great. Nothing personal, but thats how the majority of music listeners feel.
oh holy chupacabra! sure everything he did was great, it's a shame that this simple realization is as easy as pie. something strong.  4ac

give another listen to the dexterized, chopped and totally butchered version of rubber soul if you don't believe me.

it's like picking your favorite beatle or favorite album or favorite song, it defies commonsense. the reality is it cant be done and even so, almost everyone will tend to disagree at some point or another.

and please by all means show me this tons and tons of unspeakable filler that you speak so gratuitously about, i'm wondering. john did alot of parody songs, i would hardly call that filler.
 ;yes

JOHN LENNON BED IN FOR PEACE REENACTMENT

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:40:37 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »

John may be my very favourite musician ever, but that's mostly for what he did with the Beatles rather than for his solo career. That said, his solo career is my favourite one among ex-Beatles careers, though most of his albums are far from being masterpieces in my opinion. Now, when I say "filler" I don't exactly mean "bad", I just mean that a song is nothing special, though it could be quite enjoyable. "Mother", "Love", "Imagine", "Oh My Love", "Mind Games", "#9 Dream", those are special songs from my point of view.
i do think that we are getting into dangerous territory here.
 ;sorry

john lennon Plays The Ukulele "its only love "

I think I mentioned Cloud Nine before. I really dislike that record, and "Got My Mind Set On You" is probably the song I dislike the most. Sorry, I love George, but I can't help but hate 1980's over-production. It's just an artificial sound that I can't stand.
i honestly cannot see how one could not like that album in it's entirety, or find almost a spiritual george in every song.
 ;yes
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:30:13 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »

i honestly cannot see how one could not like that album in it's entirety, or find almost a spiritual george in every song.

It's the sound what I can't stand. But that's not only with that album, it's the same with most 1980's albums I've heard. I don't like the 1990's either, but I think the 1980's are even worse.

nimrod

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2011, 12:38:17 AM »

It's the sound what I can't stand. But that's not only with that album, it's the same with most 1980's albums I've heard. I don't like the 1990's either, but I think the 1980's are even worse.

I agree Hombre, as I said I went to see the Moody Blues in the 80's and they sounded like a sequencing machine  ha2ha

I too dont like Cloud Nine

In fact 'Got My Mind Set On You' must rate among one of THE most annoying songs ever (after C Moon)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »

I agree Hombre, as I said I went to see the Moody Blues in the 80's and they sounded like a sequencing machine  ha2ha

I too dont like Cloud Nine

In fact 'Got My Mind Set On You' must rate among one of THE most annoying songs ever (after C Moon)

Yes, even the artists I love sucked in the 80's in my opinion. The 80's were everything the 60's weren't: Hair Metal, abuse of synthetizers, uninspiring songwriting, artificial sound, thanks God that Disco was over!

nimrod

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2011, 11:10:41 PM »

Yes, even the artists I love sucked in the 80's in my opinion. The 80's were everything the 60's weren't: Hair Metal, abuse of synthetizers, uninspiring songwriting, artificial sound, thanks God that Disco was over!

Although all wasnt bad in the UK.......Indie or independent rock(often described as alternative rock in the U.S.), was a scene that emerged out of post punk and new wave eschewing the major record labels for control of their own music and relying on local scenes or national sub-cultures to provide an audience. Having enjoyed some success a number of indie acts were able to move into the mainstream, including early indie bands Aztec Camera, Orange Juice and The Smiths, followed by The Housemartins and James. The C86 cassette, released in 1986 by NME and featuring such bands as The Wedding Present, Primal Scream, The Pastels, and the Soup Dragons, was a major influence on the development of indie pop and the British indie scene as a whole.
Other forms of alternative rock developed in the UK during the 1980s. Like the drug-fueled Madchester (Manchester) scene. Based around The Hacienda, a nightclub in Manchester owned by New Order and Factory Records, Madchester bands such as The Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays mixed acid house dance rhythms with melodic guitar pop.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2011, 02:03:21 AM »

Although all wasnt bad in the UK.......Indie or independent rock(often described as alternative rock in the U.S.), was a scene that emerged out of post punk and new wave eschewing the major record labels for control of their own music and relying on local scenes or national sub-cultures to provide an audience. Having enjoyed some success a number of indie acts were able to move into the mainstream, including early indie bands Aztec Camera, Orange Juice and The Smiths, followed by The Housemartins and James. The C86 cassette, released in 1986 by NME and featuring such bands as The Wedding Present, Primal Scream, The Pastels, and the Soup Dragons, was a major influence on the development of indie pop and the British indie scene as a whole.
Other forms of alternative rock developed in the UK during the 1980s. Like the drug-fueled Madchester (Manchester) scene. Based around The Hacienda, a nightclub in Manchester owned by New Order and Factory Records, Madchester bands such as The Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays mixed acid house dance rhythms with melodic guitar pop.

Of course I'm not saying that everything was plain bad, it's the general spirit of the decade and its most iconic sounds what makes me scape from that time. And I grew up in the 1980's, neither that makes me like that decade, at least from the musical point of view.

KelMar

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2011, 04:36:50 AM »

after watching the Scorcese doco Im beginning to thing George wrote the best post Beatles songs

I've always felt that way. Even though Lennon and MCartney's songwriting collaboration decreased as time went on I think they needed each other's prescence or perhaps competition to write the way they did for the Beatles. George, on the other hand, was always on his own when it came to writing so becoming a solo artist wasn't much of a change. If anything I think it made him better. "All Things Must Pass" is an album I love more every time I hear it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2011, 05:29:59 PM »

and please by all means show me this tons and tons of unspeakable filler that you speak so gratuitously about, i'm wondering. john did alot of parody songs, i would hardly call that filler.
 ;yes

Gladly. I'll submit the list tonight at work. I'll even make a whole new topic in the Lennon section so its easy for you to find.

JOHN LENNON BED IN FOR PEACE REENACTMENT

By the way, posting this isnt doing you or John any favors. You know what Bed In For Peace did for John? It made him look like a fool. Sit back for a moment and think about it. Dont let your man love for him make you delusional either.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2011, 02:01:32 AM »

Gladly. I'll submit the list tonight at work. I'll even make a whole new topic in the Lennon section so its easy for you to find.

I gave it a thought and I am not doing this. I think 90% of Lennons solo material is sh*t, so whats the point?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2011, 02:19:22 AM »

I think 90% of Lennons solo material is sh*t, so whats the point?

I think the same about Paul's solo (or Wings) material. But I agree that John did a lot of fillers in his solo career.

nimrod

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »

I've always felt that way. Even though Lennon and MCartney's songwriting collaboration decreased as time went on I think they needed each other's prescence or perhaps competition to write the way they did for the Beatles. George, on the other hand, was always on his own when it came to writing so becoming a solo artist wasn't much of a change. If anything I think it made him better. "All Things Must Pass" is an album I love more every time I hear it.

Yes IML, my problem is after ATMP he went downhill a bit, it was a fantastic record though..

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2011, 07:31:05 PM »

I think I mentioned Cloud Nine before. I really dislike that record, and "Got My Mind Set On You" is probably the song I dislike the most. Sorry, I love George, but I can't help but hate 1980's over-production. It's just an artificial sound that I can't stand.
i merely intended that as a counter-example to your rather askew/absurd/blanket notion that all george solo albums are pure crap. i have to admit the only solo albums by harrison that i would really want in my collection are ATMP & Cloud Nine. seems to me i have heard 33 1/3 and thought it passable. having said that i don't think your blanket rejection of the album based on what you describe as 80's production values, is honest nor is it unbiased and is moot and rather telling. although i'll be the first to agree that the only thing remotely of interest that came out of the 80's music scene was speed/death metal bands and alternative rock. folk music got its usual kick in the pants, i suppose.
 ;sorry
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:51:46 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »

I gave it a thought and I am not doing this. I think 90% of Lennons solo material is sh*t, so whats the point?

think Todd just did a microscope on all the Lennon albums  ha2ha
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Page created in 0.894 seconds with 84 queries.