Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Now And Then  (Read 16774 times)

Bobber

Now And Then
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:10:26 AM »

Paul McCartney regrets not finishing third Beatles reunion song

Paul McCartney recently shed some light on one of the unfinished mid-'90s Beatles reunion tracks that was left unreleased.
Macca spoke to Britain's Q magazine about the unreleased John Lennon song, titled "Now And Then," explaining that, "There was one more that we didn't do (for The Beatles Anthology), which was a pity. It didn't have a very good title, it needed a bit of reworking, but it had a beautiful verse and it had John singing it. But George (Harrison) didn't wanna do it. The best thing about it all was to work with John again. Hearing him in the headphones, it was like he was in the next room -- 'f***, I'm singing harmony with John.' It's like an impossible dream."
We asked Harrison's widow Olivia Harrison how she feels about any unfinished Beatles Anthology reunion songs being released: "Well, I don't know that much about it. But I know that if they thought something wasn't good enough then that's probably the reason no one's heard it. You know, if they never got around to it -- sometimes that's it, time runs out."
The then-surviving Beatles, McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, dubbed "The Threetles" by the British press, spent four sessions between February 1994 and March 1995 attempting to flesh out "Now And Then" along with the eventually released reunion songs "Free As A Bird," and "Real Love." The songs were recorded at Macca's home studio, The Mill, in Sussex, England with producer and ELO co-founder Jeff Lynne.
The trio eventually abandoned the track, due in large part to a persistent buzz found on the demo tape that couldn't be erased. Lennon's demo for "Now And Then" -- also known as "I Don't Want To Lose You" -- has been available on the underground circuit for years.
In May 1995, the group allegedly started work an all-new McCartney-Harrison collaboration called "All For Love," which also remains unreleased.
In October 2005, Lennon's widow Yoko Ono talked about a further "electronic" Beatles reunion using the unfinished Lennon track. She explained to The Washington Post that, "I sent those songs to them when the situation was quite different. Now that George is gone, I don't know if the same would apply."
The Beatles' reunion single "Free As A Bird" peaked at number six in 1995, with the group's second reunion single "Real Love" topping out at number 11 in 1996.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Now And Then
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »

Is there a bootleg of Now And Then?

Seems from the sound of it that there are no more tapes of Lennon songs Yoko could have handed over after all.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 03:34:50 PM »

Quote from: 139
Is there a bootleg of Now And Then?
There is. I'll upload it in the bootlegforums. Available now.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 01:53:46 AM »

McCARTNEY EYES ONE LAST BEATLES SONG

Sir Paul McCartney is planning to reunite with his late Beatles bandmate John Lennon and finish an unreleased track the pair sang together.

The Fab Four abandoned "Now And Then" during their prime. McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr tried to resurrect the track when they put together their Beatles Anthology albums ten years ago, but guitarist Harrison claimed it was not good enough.

But McCartney wants to go back and finish the job.

A source tells British newspaper the Daily Express, "It has always niggled a bit with Paul that they didn't finish Now And Then.

"While George wasn't keen, Paul always though the song had a lot of potential. He is now hoping to complete it after all, with him singing the harmonies to John's lead vocal. It would obviously be very moving to hear the pair of them singing together one last time." McCartney himself recently said of the song, "It needed a bit of reworking but it had a beautiful verse."

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »

Yoko Ono has granted permission for an unfinished track by her late husband John Lennon to be finished by his Beatles bandmates.

The song, called Now And Then, will be completed by Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr after Ono - who owns the rights to Lennon's solo material - gave the project a cautious green light.

She says, "It's up to them. But no, I'm not against it."

McCartney and Starr previously tried to revive the track more than a decade ago for inclusion in The Beatles Anthology. However, George Harrison vetoed the idea.

djinn

• A Beginning
  • Always looking for DVD trades!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 04:39:23 PM »

Sad days!

I know john was working on his next songs!!

Free as a bird ect were (not for the Beatles!)
I have the solo accustic he did & piano stuff!

John was not ready for the Beatles as --It as a the band--Did not allow
freedom of self!
This is why George left also!

John said it on one of his songs--
I don't beleave in Beatles--I beleave in me--Yoko & Me! I am John!

He just wanted to be seen for him & not as a beatles!That was a
product & could be sold!
Buttons-postes-socks-ect!!
I'm just sitting here --watching the wheels go round!
I really love to watch them roll!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 05:49:26 AM »

Who cares? Doing it don't add nothing to the beast and don't take anything from it. I'd like to hear it, I hope there is something of George though.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 05:08:46 PM »

Welcome back, TheMasterOfGoingFaster!!! :) :) :)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 12:12:42 PM »

I heard the demo to this song and thought it was one of
the best songs Lennon ever wrote.
I can imagine how the song would sound but it woundn't work i think,
not without John & George (obviously!)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »

It sounds somewhat mournful to me ...

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 12:47:57 AM »

Im listening to it, if they have any George put him on to it and rerecord the rest of it. It'll sound good, the lyrics kinda fit the situation. Any situation. Maybe a new chorus? Who knows. As I said I'd like to hear it, but it's not that important.

thefadedline

• A Beginning
  • I'm an idler's dream
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 03:30:56 AM »

Whatever they decide, I hope they don't get Jeff Lynne! Lennon's vocals sound so thin and 'phasey' on FAAB and Real Love, like there's 2 or 3 playing simultaneously or something.

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 03:07:36 PM »

Quote from: 4
Whatever they decide, I hope they don't get Jeff Lynne! Lennon's vocals sound so thin and 'phasey' on FAAB and Real Love, like there's 2 or 3 playing simultaneously or something.

Yeh I've wondered about that. But is that just because the recording of John's voice they used was pretty poor quality? I don't really know much about production. I think the fact that lennon's voice is to thin and phasey kind of makes the songs more atmospheric. Sorry bit off topic!
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

thefadedline

• A Beginning
  • I'm an idler's dream
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 06:37:53 PM »

Well I have heard the original FAAB demo's and, without being big-headed, I feel I could do a better job of his vocals myself... I dunno.

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 11:39:02 AM »

From contactmusic.com:

The surviving members of THE BEATLES are to release a new single compiled from archive recordings. The track, called Now And Then, is based on a John Lennon recording given to MCCartney by the late musician's widow Yoko Ono. Archive tracks from George Harrison will also be woven into the new song, along with vocals from Sir Paul MCCartney and drumming from Ringo Starr, reports British newspaper the Sunday Express. ELO musician Jeff Lynne, who produced the track's original sessions, says, "The song had a chorus but is almost totally lacking in verses. We did the backing track, a rough go that we really didn't finish. "It was sort of a bluesy sort of ballad, I suppose, in A minor. It was a very sweet song; I liked it a lot, and I wish we could have finished it."

Sebastian

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 09:32:43 PM »

i'm new and do not yet have permission to the bootleg-forum, could someone post that tune here?
or is it against the rules? thanks!

sebastian, sweden.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 10:09:19 PM »

Quote from: 686
i'm new and do not yet have permission to the bootleg-forum, could someone post that tune here?
or is it against the rules? thanks!

sebastian, sweden.

Try this  ;):
http://rapidshare.com/files/21668027/Now_And_Then.mp3.html

... for the password to the bootlegforums you can send a private message to Bobber, somedude210 or The End.

Sebastian

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 10:15:43 PM »

Quote from: 297

Try this  ;):
http://rapidshare.com/files/21668027/Now_And_Then.mp3.html

... for the password to the bootlegforums you can send a private message to Bobber, somedude210 or The End.

thank you!
i've sent a message to the end, just waiting for a response.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 10:26:41 PM »

Quote from: 686
thank you!
i've sent a message to the end, just waiting for a response.
A pleasure ... I'll see you there then!  ;)

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 04:03:24 PM »

An awful choice, if you ask me. The demo sounds badly and boring. I wish Paul and Ringo do a cover of it instead of overdubb it.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 83 queries.