Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Brumbeat  (Read 1844 times)

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
Brumbeat
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:32:38 AM »

How about Birmingham's take on Merseybeat, Brumbeat? The Moody Blues is all that comes to mind, like Brumbeat's Beatles. I can't come up with any other big Brumbeat names, as I'm not English!
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Brumbeat
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 02:37:20 AM »

bucinghams?

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:20:43 AM »

I began to write about Birmingham groups in Mersey Beat, starting with bands like Gerry Levene & the Avengers. I wrote about groups from all over Britain who weren't given any publicity in the national papers at the time - the Hollies, Herman's Hermits, Freddie & the Dreamers, the Dakotas from Manchester, Dave Berry from Sheffield, the Animals from Newcastle and so on.
Ma Regan was a promoter in Birmingham and she decided to start her version of Mersey Beat which she called Midland Beat. Then a young guy from Bristol came to spend a week with us to see how we produced Mersey Beat and he launched one called Western Scene, which I wrote a column for. Then another similar publication started in Scotland - Scottish Beat and others sprang up all over Britain. There were about 24 papers based on Mersey Beat which emerged after we'd been going for two years, so I reckon that at the time we were the most imitated newspaper in the world.
There were quite a number of groups from Birmingham and I have one or two books about the Birmingham music scene. They had some great artists ranging from the Moody Blues to Ozzy Osbourne.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:40:17 AM »

Quote from: 1309
How about Birmingham's take on Merseybeat, Brumbeat? The Moody Blues is all that comes to mind, like Brumbeat's Beatles. I can't come up with any other big Brumbeat names, as I'm not English!

The scene in Birmingham doesn't seem to have caught on until later.  Bill mentioned The Moody Blues, there's also The Move, Fortunes, Spencer Davis Group, and later in the 60's Black Sabbath, and Led Zeppelin. Nick Mason of Pink Floyd is from Birmingham.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »

http://www.brumbeat.net/index.htm
a link i found on artys page....

Out Of Me Head

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »

There was an episode of 'Rock Family Trees' on BBC2 a few years back dedicated to Brumbeat. Most of the greats of that scene interviewed like Jeff Lynne, Roy Wood, Denny Laine and Justin Hayward.

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 46 queries.