Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Abbey Road  (Read 64564 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Abbey Road
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »

they serve different purposes

The White Album is a great listen to listen to often down and dirty songs/singles

Abbey Road is a great listen when you want a cohesive more produced listen.

Sometimes you want one more over the other.

Both are great.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2012, 07:33:24 PM »

I think what I like about Abby Road the most is that it seems to include everyone doing something important and also inovative. Ringo's drumming is strong throughout. George gets to play a lot more guitar than he had in a couple of years plus his Moog is used tastfully throughout. Paul and John do what they do best.
The collaberation reminds me of Revolver where the individual contributions reflect on the whole. The Beatles at their best!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »

Id have liked the white album more if it had been a single album (as George Martin wanted) , theres just too much filler and silly stuff on there for me

Rev No 9
Rocky Racoon
Me & My Monkey
Both Honey Pie's
Dont Pass Me By

couldve all been binned for me.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »

I like Don't Pass Me By!  Bluegrass, you know.

Don't Pass Me By   The Mama Tried Band

;D
I can stay till it's time to go

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »

There's plenty of filler and silly stuff on Abbey Road, it just sounds easier on the ears because it was recorded differently and they mixed it into stereo properly.

Come Together
Maxwells' Silver Hammer
Octopus's Garden
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Sun King
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
Carry That Weight
Her Majesty

It's splendid production values go a long way to hide how sh*tty the actual root material is.

The White Album is alot more challenging, ungrossing and an ultimately more rewarding listen. Don't get me wrong Abbey Road it's a very nice epitaph and the playing and performance is pretty much flawless. The songs are just pretty weak.

nimrod

« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »

There's plenty of filler and silly stuff on Abbey Road, it just sounds easier on the ears because it was recorded differently and they mixed it into stereo properly.

Come Together
Maxwells' Silver Hammer
Octopus's Garden
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Sun King
Carry That Weight
Her Majesty

It's splendid production values go a long way to hide how sh*tty the actual root material is.

The White Album is alot more challenging, ungrossing and an ultimately more rewarding listen. Don't get me wrong Abbey Road it's a very nice epitaph and the playing and performance is pretty much flawless. The songs are just pretty weak.

one mans filler is another mans masterpiece :)

The Fab Faux - Abbey Road Side 2 (mostly) on Vimeo

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2012, 11:56:25 PM »

I don't know if anyone else is getting this but Vimeo seems to agree with me.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2012, 01:17:25 AM »

Vimeo is a place for prime HD videos.  It's a spectacular website.

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »

Come Together
Maxwells' Silver Hammer
Octopus's Garden
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Sun King
Carry That Weight
Her Majesty

I far prefer the "White Album" too. Though I wouldn't consider "Come together" as a "filler", as it has become a Beatles-classic since then. "Octopus's Garden", "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Carry that weight" aren't that bad too, I think.

I've got more the impression that "Abbey Road" contains too short and somewhat unfinished songs, rather than fillers.

Snoopy

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »

sh*tty is a bit strong but it is remarkable how few of the songs on Abbey rd. are truly great songs. Allso, and i've probably banged on about this elsewhere but John's 4 songs for the album written in 69 were basically rip-offs of other songs. Come together we all know about from the Chuck Berry song and Because from the Beethoven Sonata and Sun king from Fleetwood Macs Albatross but less well known is how he appropriated the music from a song called Coming home baby for the music to IWY(SSH). That's a problem for me now and spoils my enjoyment of the album but it's a nice album to put on and Something, You never give me your money and Golden slumber/Carry that weight/The end are all genius.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Bobber

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »

Allso, and i've probably banged on about this elsewhere but John's 4 songs for the album written in 69 were basically rip-offs of other songs. Come together we all know about from the Chuck Berry song and Because from the Beethoven Sonata and Sun king from Fleetwood Macs Albatross but less well known is how he appropriated the music from a song called Coming home baby for the music to IWY(SSH). That's a problem for me now and spoils my enjoyment of the album but it's a nice album to put on and Something, You never give me your money and Golden slumber/Carry that weight/The end are all genius.

It seems John had his sources in those years:
http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=9982.msg243888#msg243888

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »

I remember when I did the White Album microscope and was surprised at how little I really liked it. Too much quantity and not enough quality in my eyes.

nimrod

« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »

sh*tty is a bit strong but it is remarkable how few of the songs on Abbey rd. are truly great songs. Allso, and i've probably banged on about this elsewhere but John's 4 songs for the album written in 69 were basically rip-offs of other songs. Come together we all know about from the Chuck Berry song and Because from the Beethoven Sonata and Sun king from Fleetwood Macs Albatross but less well known is how he appropriated the music from a song called Coming home baby for the music to IWY(SSH). That's a problem for me now and spoils my enjoyment of the album but it's a nice album to put on and Something, You never give me your money and Golden slumber/Carry that weight/The end are all genius.

ha2ha

OK John admitted the Chuck Berry borrow but ...........can you tell me which part of the melody of Sun King resembles the melody of Albatross cos that has got me completely puzzled, apart from the guitar tone similarity I can hear no similarity with the melody at all, (Ive also looked at the musical notation for both songs) can you also let me know the same with Because, it sounds nothing like Beethovens Moonlight Sonata to me, Ive heard the story about him asking Yoko to play the chords backwards but I along with several people have tried this and it sounds nothing like Because and anyway using chords from other songs is not in any way illegal, (if it were hundreds of Blues musicians would be guilty !) its stealing the melody and/or lyrics thats plagiarism, so I look forward to you expanding on which bits of the above 2 melodies (Because & Sun King) John ripped off. (I genuinely am interested).

Its a bit late now here but tomorrow I'll look into the ripping off of the song Coming home baby for I Want You (She's So Heavy), I dont think Ive heard the song but I'll you tube it tomorrow......do you know who its by ?

Just by way of fairness I also noticed that you didnt mention Paul borrowing the Lyrics for Golden Slumbers from Cradle Song, a lullaby by the dramatist Thomas Dekker from 1603........ in the 'genius' bit of the album... ;)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:11:41 PM by nimrod »

Ahme

« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »

Many people seem to dislike "Come Together" in this forum, don't know exactly why. It has a fantastic drum beat, hypnotic bass lines, wonderful keyboard and guitar solos, and great singing. Of course that the lyrics are a joke, but other than that it's a marvelous recording.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:18:38 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »

Many people seem to dislike "Come Together" in this forum, don't know exactly why. It has a fantastic drum beat, hypnotic bass lines, wonderful keyboard and guitar solos, and great singing. Of course that the lyrics are a joke, but other than that it's a marvelous recording.
I always liked it.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2012, 06:01:36 AM »

I dont care for it much to be honest. I'd love to give you a valid reason why, because its a well done song, but I cant. Its like 'Get Back' in a way that I just grow tired of it really quick. I know its a good song, but I would prefer to listen to something else. Just sick of it, I guess.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2012, 08:20:39 AM »

ha2ha

OK John admitted the Chuck Berry borrow but ...........can you tell me which part of the melody of Sun King resembles the melody of Albatross cos that has got me completely puzzled, apart from the guitar tone similarity I can hear no similarity with the melody at all, (Ive also looked at the musical notation for both songs) can you also let me know the same with Because, it sounds nothing like Beethovens Moonlight Sonata to me, Ive heard the story about him asking Yoko to play the chords backwards but I along with several people have tried this and it sounds nothing like Because and anyway using chords from other songs is not in any way illegal, (if it were hundreds of Blues musicians would be guilty !) its stealing the melody and/or lyrics thats plagiarism, so I look forward to you expanding on which bits of the above 2 melodies (Because & Sun King) John ripped off. (I genuinely am interested).

Its a bit late now here but tomorrow I'll look into the ripping off of the song Coming home baby for I Want You (She's So Heavy), I dont think Ive heard the song but I'll you tube it tomorrow......do you know who its by ?

Just by way of fairness I also noticed that you didnt mention Paul borrowing the Lyrics for Golden Slumbers from Cradle Song, a lullaby by the dramatist Thomas Dekker from 1603........ in the 'genius' bit of the album... ;)

I just don't think the Albatross thing is even a question of debate. I'm not the only person who thinks they're virtually identical and as to the Beethoven. My way of thinking about it is if Beethoven hadn't written Moonlight sonata then Yoko wouldn't have played it backwards and John wouldn't have written Because so it is derived from another persons work which imo diminishes it. The Coming home baby song is by Mel Torme and it is on youtube.
 And no I just never thought about the Golden slumber lyric steal and as it happens I also forgot to point out that Oh Darling is a bit of a rip of the 'Elvis song' One night. I am  bothered by the plagiarism of various kinds by John on Abbery rd. Since I've found out about them it's really impaired mmy respect and emjoyment of the album because all but 2 of his contributions are so derived from other sources which is way too much whereas Paul's plagiarism on the album is only minimal. If John had only derived one or two songs from other sources it wouldn't irk me so much which is why I focused on John. You come across like one of these people who come across rather shrill about other fans being a Paul or a John fan. I love them both but I also don't worship unconditionally and unquestioningly everything they do.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

nimrod

« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »

I just don't think the Albatross thing is even a question of debate. I'm not the only person who thinks they're virtually identical and as to the Beethoven. My way of thinking about it is if Beethoven hadn't written Moonlight sonata then Yoko wouldn't have played it backwards and John wouldn't have written Because so it is derived from another persons work which imo diminishes it.

So, you havent answered my question and pointed out the parts of the melodies of Sun king and Albatross that are the same, I can tell you why you havent, because there arent any, this is just some crap youve read in a trashy book no doubt, but really mate, you have come on a Beatle fan forum and said that 4 of Johns songs on imo THE greatest album ever made (in not just my opinion but endless pro's opinions) are sh*tty rip offs , and yet you cant show me the parts of the melody that John stole ????

Are you for f***ing real ?

You dont think its a question of debate ??? how ridiculous, I have a degree in music appreciation, I am a musician of 40 years standing, I know many pro musicians, so I have some qualification to speak about music, and I have asked you to show me the parts that John plagiarised, and you brush over it and say, its not worth debating ??

and to top it off a personal insult......I'M one of THOSE people who comes across rather shrill ??

Ok mate heres the deal, the Beatles are my gods, my heroes, they were Beethovens of the 60's....you can tell me all day long that you dont like them or their music and I will accept that as music is subjective, you can tell me that the Beatles are sh*t, I will accept that that is your opinion,  but if you come on here (a great Beatles forum) and tell me that John plagiarised 4 songs on Abbey Road you'd better be able to f***ing well prove it, and thats just it, you cant, you have offered no proof whatsoever, just your opinion, the melodies of Sun King and Albatross (both of which I have loved since 1969) are completely different...completely.

If you had made some attempt to prove what your saying I would have some respect for you, but you havent, youve just made scurrilous remarks about John Lennon, Id feel exactly the same if you'd said it about Paul or George.
As for what you say about Moonlight Sonata, that is purely laughable mate, according to your theory there would be no more new songs ever as all chord permutations have been used already and there are none left, I can name you at least 6 famous songs with the chords C -Am - F - G, in the verses, so theyre all copied and are plagiarised ?

your last two posts are laughable, and put simply they are Crap (with a capitol C)

I strongly suggest you learn more about harmony & melody before posting defamatory diatribes about a subject, and immensely talented and famous people like John Lennon........and if you must do it, be prepared to prove your case with facts.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Page created in 3.214 seconds with 89 queries.