Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: McCartney Blew His Talent  (Read 18570 times)

nimrod

Re: McCartney Blew His Talent
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2011, 10:34:07 PM »

Nimrod, if you have a copy of Wings Over America, pull it out, crank up your system and give it a really good listen, I think you may enjoy what you hear.

I have listened to it maccafan.......its rubbish IMO

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »

I have listened to it maccafan.......its rubbish IMO

its the best thing he did post beatles.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »

wings were on top form as a live act around that time.if you are not into wings over america,odds are you're not into paul as an artist outside of the beatles;and there is nothing wrong with that!this is a beatle forum by and large,and we do not need to sell the 4 of them to anybody on this site,as we are all 'fans'.note to maccafan-you are not going to convince nimrod on this one!
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »

Of course I'm not going to change Nimrods mind, he doesn't want his mind changed, it's made up and that's it period. 

That doesn't change the fact that Wings Over America went #1, and is considered by many to be one of the all time best live rock albums! 

I put it on, crank my Bose system way up and rock out to it all the time!  It's Paul McCartney in his absolute prime, live, loud, and totally rocking!

nimrod

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2011, 02:31:11 AM »

wings were on top form as a live act around that time.if you are not into wings over america,odds are you're not into paul as an artist outside of the beatles;and there is nothing wrong with that!this is a beatle forum by and large,and we do not need to sell the 4 of them to anybody on this site,as we are all 'fans'.note to maccafan-you are not going to convince nimrod on this one!

thats right glass onion, I was a big fan of Pauls when he was in the Beatles and I like McCartney 1, Paul did write some silly twee stuff when in the beatles ( Obla Di, Maxwell, Rocky Racoon etc) but it was seldom and it didnt matter as the majority of his songs were fantasticlt great .........but Wings for me was just terrible, and Im gutted that he went down such a commercial poppy path after the serious art form music the beatles eventually created.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2011, 03:21:41 AM »

Why do you think WOA is "rubbish"

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2011, 08:00:26 PM »

Paul has always tried too hard to please in my opinion, whereas John and George were content to withdraw from the limelight (and, ironically, thereby fuelled their own mystique and became all the more intriguing than the publicity hungry, ubiquitous Macca). Whilst Lennon and Harrison were seemingly less bothered by public reaction to their material beyond a certain point in their careers (I got the impression at times that both would have felt almost embarrassed to be topping the pop charts, they were far too wrapped up in whatever "message" they were trying to explore) Paul has always struck me as needing an audience and a demonstrative show of approval...

but "blowing his talent?" his talent for what? Writing and performing fabulous, radio friendly, populist, timeless songs which sold by the shedload? Wings shifted millions of sales to a public hungry for commercial, accessible pop(ular) music and, in the aftermath of The Beatles, making do with anything from Slade and ELO to The Bee Gees and Abba. Paul's need for audience approval met the public's need for catchy, Beatley records.

Perhaps you'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs? Well Paul looked around him and saw that it wasn't so. And what's wrong with that?  There is a real "talent" in producing much of the sublime stuff Paul has given us since 1969. It's all too easy to take pot shots at him from some priggish, "enlightened" vantage point, but for every argument lambasting The Frog Chorus or Mull Of Kintyre there is another one which could expose the emperor's clothes snobbery imbuing some of George's more turgid religious diatribes or John's political sloganeering with credibility and gravitas when much of the record buying public thought it was rubbish. The difference being that John and George had a (some might say healthy) "up yours" kind of "take it or leave it" slice of attitude which made them cool and therefore, on some level, more appealing than plodder Paul.

Remember though...just because something gains mass appeal does not automatically make it pap. And at the same time, McCartney was embracing cutting edge influences sometimes ahead of the rest. Bottom line is, The Beatles would ALWAYS be an impossible act to follow. By continually extending his profile and courting publicity, Paul seemed to have the cheek to try, which some find unforgivable.

All just my opinions, you understand.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2011, 03:59:10 AM »

Paul has always tried too hard to please in my opinion, whereas John and George were content to withdraw from the limelight (and, ironically, thereby fuelled their own mystique and became all the more intriguing than the publicity hungry, ubiquitous Macca). Whilst Lennon and Harrison were seemingly less bothered by public reaction to their material beyond a certain point in their careers (I got the impression at times that both would have felt almost embarrassed to be topping the pop charts, they were far too wrapped up in whatever "message" they were trying to explore) Paul has always struck me as needing an audience and a demonstrative show of approval...

but "blowing his talent?" his talent for what? Writing and performing fabulous, radio friendly, populist, timeless songs which sold by the shedload? Wings shifted millions of sales to a public hungry for commercial, accessible pop(ular) music and, in the aftermath of The Beatles, making do with anything from Slade and ELO to The Bee Gees and Abba. Paul's need for audience approval met the public's need for catchy, Beatley records.

Perhaps you'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs? Well Paul looked around him and saw that it wasn't so. And what's wrong with that?  There is a real "talent" in producing much of the sublime stuff Paul has given us since 1969. It's all too easy to take pot shots at him from some priggish, "enlightened" vantage point, but for every argument lambasting The Frog Chorus or Mull Of Kintyre there is another one which could expose the emperor's clothes snobbery imbuing some of George's more turgid religious diatribes or John's political sloganeering with credibility and gravitas when much of the record buying public thought it was rubbish. The difference being that John and George had a (some might say healthy) "up yours" kind of "take it or leave it" slice of attitude which made them cool and therefore, on some level, more appealing than plodder Paul.

Remember though...just because something gains mass appeal does not automatically make it pap. And at the same time, McCartney was embracing cutting edge influences sometimes ahead of the rest. Bottom line is, The Beatles would ALWAYS be an impossible act to follow. By continually extending his profile and courting publicity, Paul seemed to have the cheek to try, which some find unforgivable.

All just my opinions, you understand.

Well said. This post should end this thread.

Bobber

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »

Bottom line is, The Beatles would ALWAYS be an impossible act to follow. By continually extending his profile and courting publicity, Paul seemed to have the cheek to try, which some find unforgivable.

I like this.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »

well said mr mustard.where have you been hiding?

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2011, 10:01:17 AM »

well said mr mustard.where have you been hiding?

...Asleep in a hole in the road ;)

Thanks all for the positive feedback :)

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »

Let's not forget, those very same pop charts that some just love to bash McCartney for topping, are the exact same pop charts that the likes of Led Zeppelin, the Who, The Stones, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Dylan, and everyone else for that matter were trying just as hard to top!

It's funny how it's such a bad thing because McCartney was so successful at doing it!  Didn't the Beatles do the exact same thing?

Mr. Mustard, you're so right, Wings sold by the shedloads, but it seems no one wants to give them credit for that?  All you hear is how bad Wings music is, well for this music to be so bad, there sure are a lot of people all over the world who love it, and there sure are a lot of people asking McCartney to perform more of it?

I didn't fall for the Wings isn't good insanity then, and I don't fall for it now!

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »

the problem is really that paul isn't seen as being 'cool'.one of my close friends says it gets on his nerves so much whenever 'he sees my mate on the telly giving a peace sign'.while it is true that some music that was big in the 70s' has not dated too well,i'm thinking e.l.o,maybe wings,bee gees etc..........-stuff like abba is still seen as being quality,and is still very popular as a result.why?i do not understand this at all.ok,wings were twee.abba weren't then?wings was for teenagers,and little girls.95% of pop music is aimed at that market,is it not?the other thing is,paul was not a passing fad,either.i can get my head around the bay city rollers or david cassidy not standing the test of time,but paul was always going to be here to stay.why do wings get a slating i just cannot stomach it.

nimrod

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2011, 02:09:16 AM »

Of course I'm not going to change Nimrods mind, he doesn't want his mind changed, it's made up and that's it period. 

I think music is subjective, like art, you either like it or you dont, it either speaks to you and gives you pleasure or it doesnt, I dont like Wings music, never have, so Im not going to like WOA am I ?
I think Paul did blow his talent with Wings, but thats just my view and my opinion, I cant speak for others, in the 70's I was listening to more 'serious' rock like King Crimson and Pink Floyd and Yes. Paul couldve eqaulled anyone in serious rock music if he'd wanted to, he had the talent, but he chose to produce commercial pop music , entirely his choice of course.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2011, 07:19:46 PM »

the problem is really that paul isn't seen as being 'cool'.one of my close friends says it gets on his nerves so much whenever 'he sees my mate on the telly giving a peace sign'.while it is true that some music that was big in the 70s' has not dated too well,i'm thinking e.l.o,maybe wings,bee gees etc..........-stuff like abba is still seen as being quality,and is still very popular as a result.why?i do not understand this at all.ok,wings were twee.abba weren't then?wings was for teenagers,and little girls.95% of pop music is aimed at that market,is it not?the other thing is,paul was not a passing fad,either.i can get my head around the bay city rollers or david cassidy not standing the test of time,but paul was always going to be here to stay.why do wings get a slating i just cannot stomach it.
i agree totally. there is no way you can waste talent by performing, i think this is an issue of sour grapes more than anything else.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPzwKUJ278" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPzwKUJ278</a>
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:23:24 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2011, 11:33:06 PM »

I guess he has some points. But how does he differentiate between good and exceptional. Like always it's a matter of taste. He doesn't really say why.
I think McCartney peaked as a songwriter between 65 and 67. As the 70's progressed almost all of the sixties greats found their music declining in popularity (and I guess relevance) as they grew older.
But yes - Macca is almost universally criticised for the supposed lack of substance in hios work. But really, find me any great sixties act turning out exceptional music in 1976. Weren't Paperback Writer, Eleanor Rigby, Sgt Pepper, Penny Lane and Hey Jude exceptional enough>
IMO McCartney, Harrison and Lennon were all off the boil by the mid 70's. The difference with McCartney, despite him being one the uncoolest, ridiculed acts of the decade, was that he still sold records.

I can only think of Pink Floyd and maybe Jethro Tull

BTW Im not saying Wings music is bad, just that I dont like it..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 78 queries.