Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Teens and the Beatles  (Read 7585 times)

Re: Teens and the Beatles
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006, 06:24:55 PM »

Quote from: IndicaWalrus
A T-shirt is a T-shirt - it is annoying slightly..but it happens - the world moves on.

That's very profound Indica.

The thing with the Beatles is ..they appeal to everyone

That's nonsense Indica.

you don't need to know the whole catalogue

No, but the tracklist of '1' perhaps?

or what George Harrison had for breakfast on the 20th May 1968.

Something to digest Johns announcement on the 18th.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 10:02:38 PM »

I'm saying, at least one song in the Beatles catalogue can surely be recognised as leaving some sort of impression on an individual. The Beatles are celebrated for generating mass appeal which transgresses age, gender, class or culture - the sound is globally admired.
If someone has a T-Shirt with the Beatles logo slapped across the front - and they have bought it as a result of seeing McCartney playing Live Aid, or after watching some rather limited Beatles documentary ...then fair enough. The individual is making a statement on how the music of The Beatles personally appeals to them. It's not up to someone to criticise because we feel we are better ... that we deserve the T-shirt more, due to knowing more. I used think with an elitist bitterness....but I realised life
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 06:18:27 AM »

Fair doos. I still think that it is worn as a fashion statement, with nothing to do with the music, though.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 10:35:57 AM »

Quote from: TheMasterOfGoingFaster
Fair doos. I still think that it is worn as a fashion statement, with nothing to do with the music, though.

I still can't see why that's a problem.
don't follow leaders

Tamara

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 12:51:49 PM »

I would not mind. THey probably think the beatles are okay and cool and what is wrong with that?

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 10:59:40 PM »

I never said it was a problem. I'm just making a point.

I think Black Sabbath are a cool band, even though I've only got one of their albums, I personally wouldn't wear a Black Sabbath t-shirt because I thought they were cool.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »

To me The Beatles logo/name belongs with Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, James Dean, Che, The Stones Mouth logo, Coke, Bob Marley (more?) in that the have become bigger and mean something more than they are. To wear them doesn't brand you as a fan.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 02:33:54 PM »

But again, it's very frustrating for me as a Marilyn Monroe/James Dean when I see someone wearing a t-shirt of theirs, so I go up to them thinking I've found a kindered spirt, and it turns out they're just waering it because they want to be cool. I'm not saying you have to be an OMGFANTOTHEMAX to wear the t-shirt, but at least see ONE of their movies (or in the case of the Beatles, know a couple of their songs). Jeez.
It's not the wearing of the t-shirt i have a problem with. It's what it represents. A band (or actor, or whatever) that once stood for rebelliousness and going against the grain, havbe now become a fashion staple for trend whores everywhere.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 05:29:49 PM »

Mlonroe and Dean have now become products. They were marketed that way for years. They are no longer even human. That's just too bad, but it's the image they created. At least they are immortal. I'm sure they wouldn't mind that too much. Better than being forgotten.

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 05:08:28 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b
To me The Beatles logo/name belongs with Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, James Dean, Che, The Stones Mouth logo, Coke, Bob Marley (more?) in that the have become bigger and mean something more than they are. To wear them doesn't brand you as a fan.

Bigger and mean something more than they are? How can a t-shirt with the bass drum logo on it mean more that the music catalogue? If this is what you mean, explain.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2006, 08:25:36 AM »

Bigger and mean something more than they are? How can a t-shirt with the bass drum logo on it mean more that the music catalogue? If this is what you mean, explain.

The Cambridge On Line Dictionary:
Iconic : a very famous person or thing considered as representing a set of beliefs or a way of life." They even give John as an example bless him.
The only debate really is whether The Beatles have or have not reached that iconic status. Anyone for the no's?
And some people like to wear things just because they look nice. Someone should tell them they're being watched.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2006, 09:28:54 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b

The Cambridge On Line Dictionary:
Iconic : a very famous person or thing considered as representing a set of beliefs or a way of life." They even give John as an example bless him.
The only debate really is whether The Beatles have or have not reached that iconic status. Anyone for the no's?
And some people like to wear things just because they look nice. Someone should tell them they're being watched.

Well, people who wear an iconic thing who have no idea why that thing is iconic are fools.

End of my participation in this discussion.

Goodbye.  :P

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2006, 11:03:51 AM »

Well, people who wear an iconic thing who have no idea why that thing is iconic are fools.

"I pity the fool...."
As someone who wears a Che T shirt, you've caught me out. I only know that he was some kind of Commie hero who liked motorcycles. I couldn't begin to tell you what he studied at Buernos Aires University, who his favourite poet was or what were his contributions to the Cuban Board of Economic Planning and Co-ordination.
But like those poor sods who put on Beatle shirts only knowing that they were some band who sold loads of records, I think "fool" is a bit harsh. Probably go for "slightly more relaxed."
don't follow leaders

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2006, 11:49:37 AM »

Ok. They are slightly more relaxed fools.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 69 queries.