Solo forums > Ringo Starr

What was Ringo's best drumming

<< < (16/19) > >>

Dcazz:
He's the greatest, for sure!

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: Dcazz on September 25, 2012, 12:04:24 PM ---He's the greatest, for sure!

--- End quote ---

Right up there with Gene Krupa...

Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, Harry James, Lionel Hampton

;)

Dcazz:

--- Quote from: Hello Goodbye on September 25, 2012, 03:43:29 PM ---Right up there with Gene Krupa...

Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, Harry James, Lionel Hampton

;)

--- End quote ---
They make it look so easy!

BLEEN:
I have way too many favorites to pick the best drumming, but if I had to pick a Beatle who was the best at a particular instrument it would be Ringo, hands down! His creativity, groove, nuance and personality on the drums is right up there with any of the greats in any style, IMHO. In addition to this, Ringo's willingness to let his recorded drums be aurally manipulated in order to carve out the sonic landscapes of the tunes, is exactly what a band like The Beatles needed. His empathy for THE SONG was always top priority, and to my mind this is what a truly great musician is all about.

You know, it's interesting.........I consider Bernard Purdie among the greatest drummers of all time, and his claim to have played on 21 Beatle tracks used to bother me.........but now that I think of it, that is probably one of the best compliments ever paid to Ringo's drumming! ;D

tkitna:

--- Quote from: BLEEN on January 16, 2013, 01:53:53 AM --- but if I had to pick a Beatle who was the best at a particular instrument it would be Ringo, hands down!
--- End quote ---

Hey Bleen, welcome to the forums. Paul was the best at his particular instrument though. Ringo had his own style and was great, but Paul was so innovative on the bass at the time, that many top players (Jamerson, etc,,,) were influenced. I cant think of whole lot of top drummers that were actually influenced by Ringo. Sure they dug what he did, but rarely influenced I would think.

--- Quote ---You know, it's interesting.........I consider Bernard Purdie among the greatest drummers of all time, and his claim to have played on 21 Beatle tracks used to bother me.........but now that I think of it, that is probably one of the best compliments ever paid to Ringo's drumming! ;D

--- End quote ---

Yeah, Purdies great and a legendary player, but he's a legendary bag of air too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version