Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Growing up in the sixties  (Read 3962 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Growing up in the sixties
« on: October 16, 2014, 07:35:43 AM »

Come on fellow old codgers...let's do this!

I remember my dad bringing home margarine for the first time and us all trying a spoonful of this magic butter. And my mum giving me a spoonful of sticky malt every morning (to make me poo?)
And trying my first hamburger at about age 8...very american!
don't follow leaders

Bobber

Re: Growing up in the sixties
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »

Didn't we have this thread before? ;)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:47:08 PM »

Didn't we have this thread before? ;)
Yes. But now it's a new bunch of  old folk. Not a lot of left anymore

don't follow leaders

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »

I remember going to eat at a Wimpy bar with my mother when it was cool and exciting.
Sort of hamburgers with waitress service. I think I had tomato soup to begin with and maybe ice-cream after.
Fast food places of course didn't exist. They took a long,long time to get to Europe. We did have fish and chip shops though.

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 11:45:23 PM »

No central heating, coal fire in the living room
One bath a week (on Sunday night)
3 older brothers
1 Bathroom
1 car (Austin A40)
Black & White tv
Playing out all the time, I grew up next to a large park and a boating lake - so many adventures

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »

I'm in my fifties and when I describe my 1960s childhood to my 21 year old son he describes it as "Dickensian".
He cannot grasp the concept of a kid's bedroom being only for sleep - no TV, no music. A room with a bed, a wardrobe and a chest of drawers. And in winter, ice on the inside of the windows (no double glazing or central heating back then - at least not among my social circle!) Forget "duvets" - even "Continental Quilts" hadn't arrived yet, it was layers of sheets then itchy blankets with an embroidered counterpane on top.

The telly was in the living room, 21 inch screen, black & white, push button. Three channels (and BBC2 was considered "new").

Playing football on the back street (very little traffic about) nobody "walked" their dogs, you just let them out for the day. Soot falls - wow, they were fun! and watching the chimney sweep's brush poke out of the chimney pot. Chasing the rag & bone man's cart down the road. "The Beano" cost tuppence in proper money, playing tiggy, British Bulldog, Red Rover and Stringy. Collecting conkers and tadpoles. Black jacks and liquorice turned your tongue black and at school we saved money for the starving children in Biafra.

Singing Beatles songs in the playground. Building dens. Feeling grown up because you owned a pen knife and a Timex watch. Putting a tanner into those wall mounted chocolate vending machines in the high street and turning the knob to obtain your "Bar Six" in its orange wrapper. Finding a thruppeny bit on the pavement on your way back from the barber's - yippee!! The smell of dad's brylcreem and watching your mother sticking green shield stamps onto a coupon card. Crapping yourself at "Doctor Who" (he had a Beatle haircut but he was so old!!!)

Then as you got a bit older the excitement of the first man on the moon and the approaching 1970s with futuristic formica and starting to take notice of girls in their Biba boots and hotpants. But The Beatles broke up, the lights went out, they changed our money to "decimal" and it seemed to be all strikes, hijackings, terrorist bombs, power cuts, a three day week and The Osmonds.....

The dream was over   :(

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »

[/quote

Ha!
We were Sunday nighters as well. And being the youngest I had to have my brothers water, which of course he regularly p*ssed in.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »

I'm in my fifties and when I describe my 1960s childhood to my 21 year old son he describes it as "Dickensian".
He cannot grasp the concept of a kid's bedroom being only for sleep - no TV, no music. A room with a bed, a wardrobe and a chest of drawers. And in winter, ice on the inside of the windows (no double glazing or central heating back then - at least not among my social circle!) Forget "duvets" - even "Continental Quilts" hadn't arrived yet, it was layers of sheets then itchy blankets with an embroidered counterpane on top.

The telly was in the living room, 21 inch screen, black & white, push button. Three channels (and BBC2 was considered "new").

Playing football on the back street (very little traffic about) nobody "walked" their dogs, you just let them out for the day. Soot falls - wow, they were fun! and watching the chimney sweep's brush poke out of the chimney pot. Chasing the rag & bone man's cart down the road. "The Beano" cost tuppence in proper money, playing tiggy, British Bulldog, Red Rover and Stringy. Collecting conkers and tadpoles. Black jacks and liquorice turned your tongue black and at school we saved money for the starving children in Biafra.

Singing Beatles songs in the playground. Building dens. Feeling grown up because you owned a pen knife and a Timex watch. Putting a tanner into those wall mounted chocolate vending machines in the high street and turning the knob to obtain your "Bar Six" in its orange wrapper. Finding a thruppeny bit on the pavement on your way back from the barber's - yippee!! The smell of dad's brylcreem and watching your mother sticking green shield stamps onto a coupon card. Crapping yourself at "Doctor Who" (he had a Beatle haircut but he was so old!!!)

Then as you got a bit older the excitement of the first man on the moon and the approaching 1970s with futuristic formica and starting to take notice of girls in their Biba boots and hotpants. But The Beatles broke up, the lights went out, they changed our money to "decimal" and it seemed to be all strikes, hijackings, terrorist bombs, power cuts, a three day week and The Osmonds.....

The dream was over   :(

Chimney sweeps? Rag and bone men? Bloody hell, how  old are you?  :)
don't follow leaders

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 12:20:52 PM »

[/quote

Ha!
We were Sunday nighters as well. And being the youngest I had to have my brothers water, which of course he regularly p*ssed in.

nice   ;D

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »

plenty of these

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 01:06:23 PM »

Chimney sweeps? Rag and bone men? Bloody hell, how  old are you?  :)

This was Yorkshire, remember  ;) ;D

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »

Born in 1955.

During the 60s:

13 in black and white TV until we got a color TV around 68 or 69
4 channels-ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS
No air conditioning until the late 60s
Most everything closed on Sunday
Having a paper route
Having to do math problems without a calculator
Playing outside all day in the summer
Discovering the Beatles in 1964 and other great music soon after
Being dragged to church on Sunday
Using coal to heat the house
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 01:25:53 PM »

Born in 1955.

During the 60s:

13 inch black and white TV until we got a color TV around 68 or 69
4 channels-ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS
No air conditioning until the late 60s
Most everything closed on Sunday
Having a paper route
Having to do math problems without a calculator
Playing outside all day in the summer
Discovering the Beatles in 1964 and other great music soon after
Being dragged to church on Sunday
Using coal to heat the house

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »

I love the distinction between walking a dog and/or just letting it out for the day!

The big difference (and I'd say 'improvement') is that life was led outdoors and there were far fewer cars.
I think things really started to change in London by the 1980s or, as I like to put it, the truly dire 1980s. The worst decade known to man.

In the 50s and 60s, and even into the 1970s, you couldn't move for kids in the summer holidays.

In the height of summer a couple of months ago, mid-morning, school holidays, nice day, I walked across a housing estate in East London (120-150 dwellings) and saw three people.
Three! And, of course, more people would have been at work in the 60s!
Where do they all go? They must be somewhere. It was like 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'!

Progression of time, yes.....progress, no.
Oh, and the music, cinema, football, fashion etc. is now rubbish.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »

In the height of summer a couple of months ago, mid-morning, school holidays, nice day, I walked across a housing estate in East London (120-150 dwellings) and saw three people.
Three! And, of course, more people would have been at work in the 60s!
Where do they all go? They must be somewhere. It was like 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'!

They all come to places like my home town OBS, a seaside resort on the coast which used to be a virtual ghost town populated only by locals between October and March but which now, thanks to second home owners, is gridlocked with traffic and jostling with strangers (unknown to the locals and to each other) all year round.

When do they go to work???

They meander about in a trance with no road sense or consideration. It's like 'Plague Of The Zombies'!

;) ;D

nimrod

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »

Actually just looked where you are Mr M, my BIL has a holiday cottage at Arkengarthdale   ha2ha

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 11:51:31 PM »

I grew up more in the 70s than 60s. But there's lots of early memories of Beatles, Stones and astronauts. Sundays visiting my two sets of grandparents. Having a new push car was the ultimate.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 02:14:06 AM »

Elementary school in 1960...College in 1969
Bicycle in 1960...MGB (British Racing Green) in 1969
Everly Brothers in 1960...The Beatles in 1969
"Girls are dumb!" in 1960..."Wow!!" in 1969

It was a decade of changes.   ;)
I can stay till it's time to go

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 01:30:48 PM »

Elementary school in 1960...College in 1969
Bicycle in 1960...MGB (British Racing Green) in 1969
Everly Brothers in 1960...The Beatles in 1969
"Girls are dumb!" in 1960..."Wow!!" in 1969

It was a decade of changes.   ;)

Yeah that whole "girl" thing changed a lot for me by the end of the 60s also!   :P

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 12:21:04 AM »

I was born in December of 1969 so I don't have much.

Seriously though, interesting reading guys.  Keep em coming.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.843 seconds with 82 queries.