Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The British monarchy  (Read 12448 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The British monarchy
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »

Quote from: 971
I've always liked the Queen , think she's done the job of head of state really well .
Having said that i would like her to be the last .
I would like to see a republic of England , think the UK will breakup in the next fifty years .

You`ve forgotten the fact that the Queen is head of state of the 53 nations of the commonwealth. If she is to be the last, what will happen to the commonwealth? Would`t the abolition entail a lot of changes and reforms, which will need even more money than it now goes to sustain the monarchy?

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »

Please, could you explain to me what is meant by having a lot of Celtic blood, I am not sure I understand it to the full. And what does it mean to be on the Celtic fringe?

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »

Quote from: 185

But I could argue that it's much better to have a Head of State outside the political game, therefore any appointments she makes could be regarded as impartial and not politically biased.
Remember - it was an elected Head Of State German President Hindenburg who appointed the Vegetarian Hitler as German chancellor.
Damn the Democratic Vegetarian Cabal. They'll be the death of us all.

The Queen is above politics, so what appointments does she make herself?

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 08:53:55 AM »

Quote from: 568
I wonder if they nowadays still think they are superior by birth, or if they just consider themselves extremely lucky, and getting away with something they shouldn't be able to?

No, no, no. The queen really thinks she's superior and has the right to a life of luxury and command.She is conditioned that way from birth.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 09:18:39 AM »

Quote from: 568
I wonder if they nowadays still think they are superior by birth, or if they just consider themselves extremely lucky, and getting away with something they shouldn't be able to?

I can't say, obviously, but I imagine they think of themselves as the people fulfilling the constitutional role of head of state in a parliamentary democracy, and as being the inheritors of a long tradition extending back to 1066 and beyond.  :)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 05:23:35 PM »

Do you agree with the statement that "the harsh reality is that the young royals have done the monarchy immeasureable harm"? It`s because of their improper behaviour that the image of the institution has shaken or has been undermined. The young royals include all of them from Charles to Harry. Something is wrong within the royal family itself.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »

No, this has happened in the past.
The royal family can be selfish, bloodthirty or even mad, but they're still the royal family.
That's the whole point.
You get lumped with whoever is next in line.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 05:58:57 PM »

So nowadays it doen`t matter what they do? They can be their true selves, get into scandals, get divorced, appear in tabloids? Nobody gets shocked?

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »

Nowadays the monarch is just a figure head as was mentioned here before. They just carry on a tradition [as England loves to do]

But what I find ironic, is when the british got rid of Charles I and got Cromwell , they wished for a monarch to rule them, and made Crommie be all monarch like!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 10:57:26 AM »

Quote from: 1393
So nowadays it doen`t matter what they do? They can be their true selves, get into scandals, get divorced, appear in tabloids? Nobody gets shocked?

People can be shocked but it won't change anything.
One of the most famous monarchs, Queen Victoria, was heavily criticised for retiring from public view for twenty years.But the monarchy continued after her and she's now considered as something of an example of longevity!

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 11:52:22 AM »

It wasn`t the British, but Cromwell who executed Charles I and after a while started ruling like a king because he didn`t know any other way of running a country.

Arthur Mullard

• One And One Is Two
  • Arfa. That's me!
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 12:10:19 PM »

It wasn`t the British, but Cromwell who executed Charles I and after a while started ruling like a king because he didn`t know any other way of running a country.

What a load of codswallop! For a start, the British Union didn't come into being until 1707, so there were no 'British'. Cromwell was as English as they come.

In 1653 he dissolved the Parliament because they were incapable of coming to any decisions regarding election dates, and policies regarding the union of England, Scotland, and Wales. He did not want to rule like a King; it was everything he abhored.

Come back when you can make a sensible comment.
[face=Verdana][size=14]Welcome to my house. Enter freely, and of your own will.[/size][/i][/face]

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »

Gee arthur - how to win friends and influence people.
Please play nice or go somewhere else. Surely you come to a forum like this to engage in conversation with people who have similar interests to you.
don't follow leaders

Arthur Mullard

• One And One Is Two
  • Arfa. That's me!
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 12:54:18 PM »

It's a fair cop. Apologies.

I'm proud to be British and annoys me when somebody starts throwing wild and inaccurate statements around about our past.
[face=Verdana][size=14]Welcome to my house. Enter freely, and of your own will.[/size][/i][/face]

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 01:13:23 PM »

Open your eyes, Arthur! I didn`t write it was the British, I wrote it wasn`t the British. And wrote it in response to another post. It wasn`t only me who was speaking. So first look through the posts before accusing.
Cromwell became Lord Protector, which meant practically the same as king at that time. So I was right.
If you are such a pundit, answer the questions I posed in the thread, cause some of them remained unanswered.  

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 01:29:04 PM »

Thank you, Kevin!  (heart3)(heart3)(heart3)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 09:42:25 PM »

Thank you, Kevin!  (heart3)(heart3)(heart3)

King Kevin meet Queen Jane.

And I hope you live happily ever after!

In the meantime back to the debate.Whenever kings or queens disappear they obviously have to be replaced by a figurehead, usually a president.
But a president can be replaced every so often.Some presidents try to install dynasties (Kennedy, Bush...) but they're never permanent.
Monarchy, on the other hand, is here to stay.And the message is that however hard you try you will never be in charge of the country because you are automatically inferior to the people in power and excluded from the highest authority.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »

Quote from: 1570
I'm proud to be British

I never understood why anyone would be proud of his or her nationality.

I'm glad to be Dutch because of the high standard of living. And I like my country because it's the only country where I feel at home and because the people that are dear to me live here. But proud of being Dutch? Heck no, why should I? It's not like it's an achievement, right? It's more like, "Here's a map of Europe, you were born here between that line and that line and therefor you're Dutch". Big f-ing deal.

I think the concept of being proud of something should be reserved for achievements that actually require some effort...

Bobber

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 01:05:59 PM »

A lot of people put an effort in getting a certain nationality.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 11:29:20 PM »

Why would you not feel proud of your nationality?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 81 queries.