Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles' Most Influential Song  (Read 7342 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Beatles' Most Influential Song
« on: September 20, 2011, 04:37:45 PM »

What was their most influential song in your opinion?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: Beatles' Most Influential Song
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »

Hi 5th Beatle! How are you? WOW, this is a good question! All of BEATLES songs influenced the whole world seeing that their songs were positive and about life in general. Its really hard for me to narrow down to just one. I would say "Hey Jude," "In My Life," "All You Need Is Love," "Hello Goodbye," "Rain," "Nowhere Man," "Let It Be," "We Can Work It Out," "Yesterday," "Here There And Everywhere," "The Long And Winding Road," "Eleanor Rigby," "Revolution" and "Birthday" just to name a few. I feel confident that many of our fellow Beatles fanatics have others, I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else says. Take care 5th Beatle. 

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:30:43 AM »

For me it's "In My Life". No contest. For the world at large I can't really say.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 02:46:16 AM »

For me it's "In My Life". No contest. For the world at large I can't really say.

That's a great choice In My Life! What a coincidence, its your user name too! Take care.

KelMar

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:01:46 AM »

That's a great choice In My Life! What a coincidence, its your user name too! Take care.

No coincidence John! I did it on purpose.  ;)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:18:17 AM »

No coincidence John! I did it on purpose.  ;)

I'm glad that you did it on purpose, I get the feeling that "In My Life" is your favorite BEATLES song. Am I wrong? Take care.

nimrod

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 05:52:04 AM »

She Loves You influenced a ton of bands and a ton of wannabe musicians

I Am The Walrus influenced a lot more bands (like ELO)

Imagine has been voted best song ever many times here in Oz so maybe its that.

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:09:20 AM »

I'd say She Loves You. It really broke through barriers.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 09:11:37 PM »

She Loves You was the first song I thought of when I saw this title. I would also argue that A Hard Day's Night is a pretty good contender as well.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »

Hi 5th Beatle! Thinking about it now, the real question here 5th Beatle is which BEATLES song was the least influential? In my opinion, all of THE BEATLES music was influential. Take care.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 11:11:02 PM »

It's got to be IWTHYH. Without that maybe they wouldn't have even cracked America and become the phenomenon they were although maybe that just facilitated the Beatles themselves being influential. I've always wondered how infulential TMK was. In terms of originality it was complete unique but I've not heard of many musicans talk about it infulencing them. Then there's ALNIL which, maybe, influenced the Summer of love and influenced hippy culture a lot. Don't know really. It's hard to say. 
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 11:13:01 PM »

You've got a good point about "IWTHYH". I think most rock of the early '60s owes something to it, and I still see that sort of chord progression and vocals turning up in songs of today.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

alvenswiz

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 06:13:14 AM »

Strawberry Fields Forever and Helter Skelter were the heaviest song the Beatles ever recorded and was also one of their very most influential songs.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »

I've read/heard a few famous musicians (Donovan was one, but can't remember the others offhand) who said that they realised the first time they heard Love Me Do on the radio in late 1962 that this band was something different.
I bet it was a very influential song on the Mersey Beat scene - it got into the top 20 in the national charts, which was the first national recognition for any of the Mersey Beat bands. And it was the Mersey Beat bands - led by The Beatles, obviously - that stormed the UK charts in 1963 and then helped to push the British Invasion in the US the following year.
So my vote would go to Love Me Do.
It's certainly not their best song, or one of my personal favourites, and it sounds quite twee when compared to what came later, but I think it was ground-breaking in its own way.

Other ones that I would say have been influential.....

Please Please Me - their first big hit in the UK, and a sound that inspired a whole host of bands to copy the Beatles style
I Want To Hold Your Hand - their first big hit in the US, so will have been a big influence and inspiration for young people there
Hard Days Night - Roger McGuinn says that jangly guitar sound made him want to stop being a folk singer and take up the electric guitar
Yesterday - the first time they tried something really different on record, and it is now the song with the most recorded cover versions ever, so it must have inspired and influenced somebody!
Rubber Soul - that whole album inspired Brian Wilson to take The Beach Boys to new places when recording Pet Sounds
Norwegian Wood - the use of sitar was very influential and was widely copied, most famously by The Stones on Paint It Black
Hey Jude - there had been several hit singles before this that had broken the 3-minute barrier, but The Beatles really showed that music was now about more than just the 3-minute pop song
Revolution 9 - influential in the fact that it showed other bands that it was OK to experiment in the studio and take risks

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »

Just out of interest;

Uncut magazine named "She Loves You" as the third biggest song that changed the world, behind Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel" and Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone".

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 07:48:18 AM »

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned 'A Day In The Life'.

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 07:16:55 PM »

Many musicians from the 60's who followed the Beatles to (less) fame and (lots less) fortune say that the songs from A Hard Day's Night, plus the film itself, were very influential to them. Maybe it was the screaming birds.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 74 queries.