Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beatles' Vinyl Collection?  (Read 14568 times)

Maccafan95

• One And One Is Two
Beatles' Vinyl Collection?
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:52:50 AM »

This has probably already been discussed MANY times before, but, besides me, does anyone else actively listen to the Beatles (or solo stuff) on vinyl?

In total i've got

Albums:
Meet The Beatles
The Beatles' Second Album
Yesterday...And Today
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Both Capital and Apple logo versions)
The Early Beatles
Magical Mystery Tour
Abbey Road (1st Pressing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Let It Be (Red Apple logo)

Solo Albums:
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
Sometime In New York City
Double Fantasy
McCartney
Ram
Venus And Mars
Wings At The Speed Of Sound
Gone Troppo

45s:
Twist And Shout/There's A Place
Lady Madonna/The Inner Light
The Ballad Of John And Yoko/Old Brown Shoe
Band On The Run/Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five
My Love/The Mess
Daytime Nightime Suffering/Goodnight Tonight
Watching The Wheels/Yes I'm Your Angel

(And forgive me if this is in the wrong place  ;sorry)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:12:16 PM by Maccafan95 »

R.I.P. Linda Louise McCartney 1941-1998
R.I.P. John Lennon 1940-1980
R.I.P. George Harrison 1943-2001

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles' Vinyl Collection?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 03:16:03 AM »

It's in the right place, maccafan.

My collection:

Introducing The Beatles (Vee-Jay)
Meet The Beatles (Capitol)
The Beatles' Second Album (Capitol)
A Hard Day's Night (United Artists)
Something New (Capitol)
Beatles '65 (Capitol)
Beatles VI (Capitol)
Help! (Capitol)
Rubber Soul (Capitol)
Yesterday And Today (Capitol)
Revolver (Capitol)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Capitol  Stereo)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Parlophone  Mono  First Pressing)
Magical Mystery Tour (Capitol)
The Beatles
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road
Let It Be
The Beatles Again
The Beatles Rarities

Solo Albums:

McCartney
Ram
Wings Over America
Imagine

I also have several 45s, but most noteworthy is She Loves You on Swan Records.
I can stay till it's time to go

Maccafan95

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:18:19 AM »

Introducing The Beatles (Vee-Jay)

You have a copy of that?!  :o

Respect!

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »

Respect to anyone who still loves listening to music on vinyl, especially Beatles music.
I'm not a proper audiophile type, who can talk about the "warmth" of the vinyl sound or whatever.
I listen to music on CD, MP3 and vinyl and all have their pros and cons for me.
I just know that I love the whole experience of playing vinyl, and I don't mind hearing the crackles and stuff you get when you play an old record - it just enhances it for me (as long as it isn't TOO scratched!)

I have all the original 60's issue UK albums and singles, plus many reissues. I also have all the original 60s US albums and about half of the 1960s 45s.
And I have records from all over the world (Italy, France, Germany, Turkey, India, etc). And loads of solo singles and albums. But I used to collect vinyl so it was my hobby for a while.
I don't play them all but I do love to get stuff out and give it a spin  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »

You have a copy of that?!  :o

Respect!

Maccafan, my parents bought it for my sister just after The Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show.  She gave it to me a couple of years later when she decided that she liked the cover of her Capitol The Early Beatles album better.  She still has that one.

There are a lot of versions of this album.  This one is the first version mono record with Love Me Do and P.S. I Love You in the second version cover which lists Ask Me Why and Please, Please Me.  It's not in very good shape, I'm afraid.  My sister used it as a rain hat one day getting out of the car and going into the house.  The front of the cover is a little warped.  The inner sleeve disappeared years ago.  The record isn't in bad shape though.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:27:55 AM by Hello Goodbye »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 03:56:40 PM »

Respect to anyone who still loves listening to music on vinyl, especially Beatles music.
I'm not a proper audiophile type, who can talk about the "warmth" of the vinyl sound or whatever.
I listen to music on CD, MP3 and vinyl and all have their pros and cons for me.
I just know that I love the whole experience of playing vinyl, and I don't mind hearing the crackles and stuff you get when you play an old record - it just enhances it for me (as long as it isn't TOO scratched!)

I have all the original 60's issue UK albums and singles, plus many reissues. I also have all the original 60s US albums and about half of the 1960s 45s.
And I have records from all over the world (Italy, France, Germany, Turkey, India, etc). And loads of solo singles and albums. But I used to collect vinyl so it was my hobby for a while.
I don't play them all but I do love to get stuff out and give it a spin  ;D

Peter, these days it's a whole lot easier to listen to my CDs.  But when I want to hear these albums the way I did for the first time, I fire up my Philips 312 turntable and off I go to the 1960s.  ;)

I thought I'm Looking Through You was like this for over twenty years until I bought the CD...

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You - False Start (Vinyl)

;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:07:41 PM »

I still play it like that on guitar.     ;D

Maccafan95

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »

Peter, these days it's a whole lot easier to listen to my CDs.  But when I want to hear these albums the way I did for the first time, I fire up my Philips 312 turntable and off I go to the 1960s.  ;)

I thought I'm Looking Through You was like this for over twenty years until I bought the CD...

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You - False Start (Vinyl)

I actually prefer the false start to the regular version off the CD

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:28:37 AM »

I actually prefer the false start to the regular version off the CD

It was Paul's musical count-in.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »

Maccafan, my parents bought it for my sister just after The Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show.  She gave it to me a couple of years later when she decided that she liked the cover of her Capitol The Early Beatles album better.  She still has that one.

There are a lot of versions of this album.  This one is the first version mono record with Love Me Do and P.S. I Love You in the second version cover which lists Ask Me Why and Please, Please Me.  It's not in very good shape, I'm afraid.  My sister used it as a rain hat one day getting out of the car and going into the house.  The front of the cover is a little warped.  The inner sleeve disappeared years ago.  The record isn't in bad shape though.

We could do a swap HG - I have a copy of this LP with 2nd issue "Please Please Me" vinyl inside a 1st issue "Love Me Do" sleeve!!  ;D

I do occasionally have a look on eBay for a 1st issue record to go with my sleeve but I quickly get fed up searching through dozens of listings of counterfeit copies, which most copies of this LP on eBay seem to be.

Maccafan95

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »

It was Paul's musical count-in.

Really? I always thought it was a false start. Hmm, learn something new every day!  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 03:55:40 PM »

We could do a swap HG - I have a copy of this LP with 2nd issue "Please Please Me" vinyl inside a 1st issue "Love Me Do" sleeve!!  ;D

I do occasionally have a look on eBay for a 1st issue record to go with my sleeve but I quickly get fed up searching through dozens of listings of counterfeit copies, which most copies of this LP on eBay seem to be.

I've never seen so many combinations and permutations with one single record, Peter!  And I agree, with all the counterfeits out there we both should be very happy with our own original versions.

I remember joking with my kid sister at the time when she asked me why the album cover said one thing and the record said something else.  I told her:  "That's the way it is.  Please please me and don't ask me why anymore."  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »

Really? I always thought it was a false start. Hmm, learn something new every day!  :)

They could have been nothing more than false starts.  Who knows?

Do you think that I'm Looking Through You was a solo effort?

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »

Oh, please say yes!

Maccafan95

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »

They could have been nothing more than false starts.  Who knows?

Songwriting wise- Probably yes
Playing Wise- No, that guitar riff is defintely George's. And John could have been playing a dubbed in rythym guitar. Plus Ringo on the drums

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »

Oh, please say yes!

I feel this is a credible supposition too.

Songwriting wise- Probably yes
Playing Wise- No, that guitar riff is defintely George's. And John could have been playing a dubbed in rythym guitar. Plus Ringo on the drums

We discussed this last year:  http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=12015.0

and in 2005:  http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=3355.0 

I'd like to hear further opinions.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 12:59:04 PM »

I feel this is a credible supposition too.

We discussed this last year:  http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=12015.0

and in 2005:  http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=3355.0 

I'd like to hear further opinions.

If you listen to Take 4 of this song on disc 3 of the Purple Chick Deluxe version of Rubber Soul, you can hear Ringo (I think it's Ringo!) speaking to Paul, after the "Take 4" announcement but just before the false start intro. Sounds like he is saying something about harmonies but I'm not sure.
Even if it is Ringo, it doesn't prove he appears on the recording, of course - just that he was present during the recording. But it might lend some weight to the argument that Ringo played those Hammond organ stabs behind the lead guitar part - just like the record sleeve states. The organ literally plays just one short chord twice behind each guitar riff, so anyone could have played it - even Ringo! (just joking Ringo fans  ;D )

Another thing I noticed is that in the original US mix with the false starts there is some noise in the right channel during the second false start - sounds like a piece of vinyl being scratched.

Have a listen if you have a copy of Take 4 and see what you think.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »

Some other thoughts ....

It's also interesting that in Paul's lower harmony in the "You don't look different ..." parts you can tell it's him, but it's like he is trying to sing like John!!

And at the end of Take 4 you can hear the track break down (there's no fade-out) and you can't hear anyone else's voice, just Paul. Normally when John's around in studio outtakes you can't keep him quiet  ;D  so it suggests that perhaps he wasn't there after all.

The lead guitar also sounds more like Paul to me than George - Paul often plays too many notes when he does lead parts where George was more sparing.

So my guess would be that the song is mainly Paul with perhaps Ringo on the simple organ part (just like the record sleeve says)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »

If you listen to Take 4 of this song on disc 3 of the Purple Chick Deluxe version of Rubber Soul, you can hear Ringo (I think it's Ringo!) speaking to Paul, after the "Take 4" announcement but just before the false start intro. Sounds like he is saying something about harmonies but I'm not sure.
Even if it is Ringo, it doesn't prove he appears on the recording, of course - just that he was present during the recording. But it might lend some weight to the argument that Ringo played those Hammond organ stabs behind the lead guitar part - just like the record sleeve states. The organ literally plays just one short chord twice behind each guitar riff, so anyone could have played it - even Ringo! (just joking Ringo fans  ;D )

Another thing I noticed is that in the original US mix with the false starts there is some noise in the right channel during the second false start - sounds like a piece of vinyl being scratched.

Have a listen if you have a copy of Take 4 and see what you think.

Some other thoughts ....

It's also interesting that in Paul's lower harmony in the "You don't look different ..." parts you can tell it's him, but it's like he is trying to sing like John!!

And at the end of Take 4 you can hear the track break down (there's no fade-out) and you can't hear anyone else's voice, just Paul. Normally when John's around in studio outtakes you can't keep him quiet  ;D  so it suggests that perhaps he wasn't there after all.

The lead guitar also sounds more like Paul to me than George - Paul often plays too many notes when he does lead parts where George was more sparing.

So my guess would be that the song is mainly Paul with perhaps Ringo on the simple organ part (just like the record sleeve says)

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You (EMI Take 4)

Maccafan95

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »

So I found this at an antique store today. One of Vee-Jay's repackaging of "Introducing the Beatles"

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.669 seconds with 77 queries.