Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What "classic" albums have you never heard ?  (Read 2162 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: What "classic" albums have you never heard ?
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 10:03:56 PM »

Now my generation would feel differently. 

Well, to clarify, I wasn't saying that I don't like Blonde on Blonde or Dylan's work, just that it's an example of a classic album that I haven't listened to in its entirety. As with the "Bands That You Never Got Into" thread, it's not a criticism of Bob Dylan, just a fact. One that I should probably rectify.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 11:42:22 PM »

OK Computer by Radiohead is nearly always a top 3 album in these lists. Some lists are voted by the public so not some critics opinion.
I've never heard it.
I did like the single Paranoid Android though so maybe it deserves a listen. :)

I'm just listening to Rumours. A classic that deserves it's status imo. However, Pink Floyd albums always seem overrated imo.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2022, 12:04:34 AM »

OK Computer is a good album. One of the few bands of the 90s I got into.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2022, 12:39:49 AM »

Well, to clarify, I wasn't saying that I don't like Blonde on Blonde or Dylan's work, just that it's an example of a classic album that I haven't listened to in its entirety.

It might still be a generation thing.  The release of Blonde on Blonde coincided with my being in the Folk Music Workshop when I was in high school...

No, I'm not in the picture.  I'm not sure where I was that day.  I was probably out horseback riding.  I was in the riding club too but our picture never made it into the yearbook.  Anyway, we dissected Blonde on Blonde and learned many of the songs on that album.  I had a Guild F-30 guitar in those days.  We did notice that Fourth Time Around sounded a bit like Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown).  And that was without any internet to research...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wSIboHqtXY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wSIboHqtXY</a>

We were onto something!    ;D
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2022, 12:41:21 AM »

I'm just listening to Rumours. A classic that deserves it's status imo.

I agree, Kev.  It was one of the very few LPs I bought in the 1970s.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2022, 05:52:35 AM »

Lol I bought Blonde On Blonde in the early 80’s. Only because I ‘felt’ I had to own it as it was considered a classic album. The only song I liked was Memphis Blues Again lol

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2022, 02:38:04 AM »

Stevie: Rainy Day Women is a classic from that album.  I like it a lot.  Bob laughs a lot while singing it. I don't know if he thought the lyrics were funny or it was something else that made him laugh.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2022, 03:54:06 AM »

Loco, the musicians and crew in the studio were providing background laughter and comments.  I'm sure that and their antics made him laugh.  Or he might have thrown in a few laughs just because he wanted to.

Here's the rehearsal and the finished track...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQyzWCHT0Q" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQyzWCHT0Q</a>

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2022, 06:26:21 AM »

Love Blonde on Blonde.

One of Us Most Know, Visions of Johanna, Absolutely Sweet Marie, I Want You, Stuck inside of Mobile….. some of my favourite Bob stuff.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2022, 08:59:36 PM »

Thanks for the info, Hello Goodbye.  The band really kicked in on the outtake after putzing around and bantering back and forth a while.  Just goes to show how good and professional they were.

I want to note that while listening to the album this time around, "Obviously Five Believers" reminded me of a Beatles song.  After thinking about it for a while, I think it is similar to "Leave my kitten alone."  I need someone else to hear this to confirm or is it another song?

It's often been stated that Bob was an influence on Lennon's songwriting.  I will have to listen to the album again because there was a song that sounded Lennon-like to me, but I can't remember which one.

I remember from the time (decade) that some people preferred Dylan to the Beatles about the time of Sgt Pepper or shortly thereafter.  I think it's interesting that some fans who didn't like the Beatles later stage of musical development somehow liked Dylan's musical style because I don't think it compared to the early Beatles in any way.  Maybe I'm wrong about this.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2022, 10:28:43 PM »

I want to note that while listening to the album this time around, "Obviously Five Believers" reminded me of a Beatles song.  After thinking about it for a while, I think it is similar to "Leave my kitten alone."  I need someone else to hear this to confirm or is it another song?

I think so too, Loco.  They're both fine R&B rockers.

It's often been stated that Bob was an influence on Lennon's songwriting.  I will have to listen to the album again because there was a song that sounded Lennon-like to me, but I can't remember which one.

You're thinking of Bob Dylan's answer song...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wSIboHqtXY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wSIboHqtXY</a>

...to The Beatles'...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_V6y1ZCg_8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_V6y1ZCg_8</a>

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2022, 10:48:17 PM »

Dylan’s influence on Lennon is thought to be as early as I’m a Loser on Beatles for Sale. Lennon himself said You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away on Help was him trying to do Dylan. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 04:34:10 AM by Moogmodule »
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.899 seconds with 66 queries.