Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: Bob Dylan!  (Read 127960 times)

Revolution

• Getting Better
Re: Bob Dylan!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 11:25:03 PM »

Love the lyrics to Like a Rollin' Stone. BTW- Brian Jones thought ' Ballad of   a aga thin man "waswritten about him .Off Topic,again! :B

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 05:03:34 AM »

BOB!

Even Charlie Brown's a fan:

Bob has excellent fashion sense. Or he used to anyway. I don't know lately.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 07:38:34 PM »

I love that picture of him and Joan. Sooo cute. I actually painted it on a huge ceiling tile for my school and it turned out pretty well.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

McLennon

• Getting Better
  • There are 7 levels!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 12:16:35 AM »

I see that Bob is playing his guitar again this UK tour! sunday will be a blast!! :D
There are 7 levels!

McLennon

• Getting Better
  • There are 7 levels!
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2007, 06:57:06 PM »

Sunday was a blast!! he played eletrci guitar for first half and then electric keyboard!! his voice is funny these days but what a great show!!

1. Cat's In The Well (Bob on electric guitar)  
2. It Ain't Me, Babe (Bob on electric guitar)  
3. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (Bob on electric guitar)  
4. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
(Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on violin)  
5. The Levee's Gonna Break
(Bob on keyboard, Donnie on electric mandolin, Tony on standup bass)  
6. Spirit On The Water (Bob on electric keyboard and harp, Tony on standup bass)  
7. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on electric keyboard)  
8. When The Deal Goes Down (Bob on electric keyboard, Tony on standup bass)  
9. Rollin' And Tumblin' (Bob on electric keyboard)  
10. Chimes Of Freedom (Bob on electric keyboard)  
11. Blind Willie McTell (Bob on electric keyboard, Donnie on banjo)  
12. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
(Bob on electric keyboard and harp)  
13.  Nettie Moore (Bob on electric keybo, Donnie on violin)  
14. Summer Days (Bob on electric keyboard, Tony on standup bass)  
15. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on electric keyboard and harp)  

(encore)
16.  Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on electric keyboard)  
17.  All Along The Watchtower (Bob on electric keyboard)  
There are 7 levels!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 04:51:50 PM »

Try as I might I can't get my girlfriend interested in The Beatles. But I played Highway 61 the other night (as background to a little evening bbq) and it immediately caught her attention. It is truly a great album.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 06:50:47 AM »

Good set list. Nice mix of hits and more obscure songs for the fans.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 11:12:26 AM »

Quote from: 449
My favorite DYLAN period is from FREEWHEELIN to BLONDE ON BLONDE from that time he`s untouchable,so many great songs its hard to choose .JUST LIKE A WOMAN thats proberly my favorite at the moment .
Seen him live twice not that great, but hey! its his bobness  8)

Agreed. As much as I love The Beatles I would have to rank Bob as the most important artist of the 60's, perhaps of the last 40 years. While the debt works both ways, I think that without his influence The Beatles would have dissapeared (like Gerry Marsden, Hermans Hermits) once Beatlemania ran out of steam and they lost their tennybopper audience. I think Highway 61 (1965) shows an imagination and breadth of vision that people like John Lennon could only gape at in awe and copy as best they could.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »

At the same time, we have to acknowledge the Beatles' influence on Bob. He has stated before that it was hearing the lads that re-kindled his interest in rock and roll.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 12:31:38 AM »

Well put, Mairi! :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 01:09:10 AM »

Didn't somebody just post a quote from Dylan talking about how amazed he is by Paul McCartney? Wasn't that here? I think the Beatles would have evolved without Dylan, but there's no doubt he was an important influence. I think Lennon would have eventually gone that route as he tended to write about himself and what he was feeling.  I think everything that happened in the late sixties (in the US) was an influence on them. Everyone became more outspoken. Bob was just doing it a few years earlier than most.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 02:14:03 AM »

As much as I love Bob, you have to put his achievement as a songwriter into the context of the Beat movement and the big debt he owes to Allen Ginsberg, in particular, from whom Bob adapted the prophetic persona, French symbolist imagery and post-Whitman long line structure.  

As that pic with Baez shows, Bob's a short little fellar, but he stands on pretty big shoulders.  

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 08:47:32 AM »

Quote from: 9
As much as I love Bob, you have to put his achievement as a songwriter into the context of the Beat movement and the big debt he owes to Allen Ginsberg, in particular, from whom Bob adapted the prophetic persona, French symbolist imagery and post-Whitman long line structure.  

No man is an island - everyone has an influence. Whatever context you put his songwriting into it changed a generation. Everyones got a big debt to someone.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 08:53:49 AM »

Parents usually.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »

Quote from: 216
Didn't somebody just post a quote from Dylan talking about how amazed he is by Paul McCartney? Wasn't that here? I think the Beatles would have evolved without Dylan, but there's no doubt he was an important influence. I think Lennon would have eventually gone that route as he tended to write about himself and what he was feeling.  I think everything that happened in the late sixties (in the US) was an influence on them. Everyone became more outspoken. Bob was just doing it a few years earlier than most.

I don't think there's any guarantee of that. Before he started listening to Dylan Johns lyric was very much aimed at his tenny bopper audience. When he decided to be Bob everything changed - the way he wrote (like bob) the way he sang (like Bob) the way he dressed (like Bob). Of course he might have eventually gotten  the idea from somewhere else, if someone else with Bobs genius had emerged in the vaccuum. But I really don't think that person would have been John Lennon.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 08:58:20 AM »

Quote from: 218
At the same time, we have to acknowledge the Beatles' influence on Bob. He has stated before that it was hearing the lads that re-kindled his interest in rock and roll.

Totally agree. The Beatles inspired Bob to pick up an electric guitar. Bob inspired The Beatles to change the way they made music. Fair swap.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 09:14:37 AM »

This is all fanofthefab4's fault by the way. Before she got me reading that article by that guy who's name I can't remember I was happy in the belief that The Beatles were the most innovative, important thing EVER to happen to rock, perhaps to the universe. Now I've got seeds of doubt, and everything I  took as a given I'm looking at anew. I thought I have just believed what I have been told and had never looked at things for myself. Bits of me now think that things like the sitar and backward tapes are just silly little trends made popular by a band elevated to greatness on the back of Beatlemania, which had less to do with music than image and time.
I need an intervention! I need hands upon me! I am lost.
But I swear, if I hear Imagine one more time or see one more story about that bloody piano I'll puke.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 09:38:07 AM »

Quote from: 185
Bits of me now think that things like the sitar and backward tapes are just silly little trends made popular by a band elevated to greatness on the back of Beatlemania, which had less to do with music than image and time.

Most of me thinks this!!

I generally think that everything about The Beatles should be taken a little less seriously. Sometimes people are beyond reproach, as far as the press go for instance. If someone had dared to give a crap reveiw to 'Love You Too', or suggested that the sound engineer must have got his tapes mixed up on 'I'm Only Sleeping' then they'd probably never have done it again.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 09:49:36 AM »

Quote from: 216
Didn't somebody just post a quote from Dylan talking about how amazed he is by Paul McCartney? [...]

Quote from: 297
Bob Dylan talks about Paul to Rolling Stone:

"....Hard to find a better singer than [John] Lennon was or McCartney was and still is. I mean I'm in awe of McCartney. He's about the only one that I am in awe of. But I'm in awe of him. He can do it all and he's never let up, you know. He's got the gift for melody, he's got the rhythm. He can play any instrument. He can scream and shout as good as anybody and he can sing the ballad as good as anybody, you know so... And his melodies are, you know, effortless. That's what you have to be in awe... I'm in awe of him maybe just because he's just so damn effortless. I mean I just wish he'd quit, you know. [laughs] Just everything and anything that comes out of his mouth is just framed in a melody, you know ..."

from here: http://dmbeatles.com/forums/b-mccartney/m-1176284442/s-60/

Since some said that Paul sounds as an old man on Ever Present Past I thought that that one was the thread to post this at ...

The question and complete answer were these:

In the 40th Anniversary issue of Rolling Stone magazine, Dylan was asked:

"RS: What was your relationship with John Lennon like? Somewhat competitive?

Bob: "Yeah. Only to a certain extent, but not really. Him and McCartney both, really, they were fantastic singers. Lennon, to this day, it's hard to find a better singer than Lennon was, or than McCartney was and still is. I'm in awe of McCartney. He's about the only one that I am in awe of. He can do it all. And he's never let up. He's got the gift for melody, he's got the rhythm, he can play any instrument. He can scream and shout as good as anybody. And his melodies are effortless, that's what you have to be in awe of...He's just so damn effortless. I just wish he'd quit [laughs]. Everything that comes out of his mouth is just framed in melody."

BlueMeanie

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 10:11:13 AM »

Quote from: 297
Since some said that Paul sounds as an old man on Ever Present Past I thought that that one was the thread to post this at ...

That was me Rax. But this is what I actually said:

Quote from: 483
The trouble with this is that we all know how Paul's voice used to sound, and what he could do with it. Can we accept it any other way? Cash never had a 'great' voice, and his took on a character and feeling all of it's own which I'm sure is what encouraged his and Rick Rubens' choice of songs. Paul's will never have that. In fact when unprocessed he's getting dangerously close to sounding like an old man with a cold.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 78 queries.