Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Artist pays tribute to John Lennon and JFK in bullet casings portraits  (Read 681 times)

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages

Metro.UK
January 20, 2012
Artist pays tribute to John Lennon and JFK in bullet casings portraits

It may not be the most tasteful way to pay tribute to gun crime victims John Lennon and John F Kennedy but one eccentric artist is hoping fans won't go completely ballistic.David S Palmer creates these amazing images with bullet casings – and believes they are a great way to immortalise the dead.The self-confessed Beatles fan began experimenting with brass casings after John Lennon was gunned down.Since then, he has expanded his ‘bullet portrait’ repertoire to include Tupac Shakur and Abraham Lincoln - whose fates were all sealed by the barrel of a gun.The 58-year-old used 8,000 40-calibre bullets for his John Lennon piece, which is 120cm (48in) wide and weighs more than 72kg (11st). The casings are stuck to a strong wooden base before metal paint and a blowtorch is used to create the finished ‘canvas’.The artist, from California, said: ‘I wanted to create a memorial that would remind us how John Lennon died with the aim of taking what destroyed the person and turning it into an enduring monument of strength.I was not sure how the public would respond but I was happy to find there was a very positive response.
‘I truly feel Lennon would like the piece and would probably say something like, “If all bullets were used for art, there would be a lot less orphans”.’

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/887931-artist-pays-tribute-to-john-lennon-and-john-f-kennedy-in-bullet-casings-portraits
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Artist pays tribute to John Lennon and JFK in bullet casings portraits
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:33:36 AM »

I think David S. Palmer missed a few doses of his Seroquel.
I can stay till it's time to go

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 42 queries.