Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Milk and Honey  (Read 8965 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Milk and Honey
« on: February 19, 2022, 09:01:03 PM »

I’ve been thinking about John’s last two solo albums.  I don’t think either are considered to be standouts in his overall song catalog.

So, I want to make a few observations:

Yoko’s equal song quantities on each make these seem less than true solo efforts by John.  This fact detracts from the respective importance attributed to them, IMO.

These two albums are often not discussed or referenced, especially Milk and Honey.  Is it possible to consider these “non-albums” if I may coin a term?

John had 6 songs on Milk and Honey and none of them seem to be chart leaders or standouts in their own right.  Those songs are I’m stepping out; I don’t wanna face it; Nobody told me; Borrowed time; Forgive me (my little flower princess); Grow old with me.

I think “Forgive me” is beautiful but underdeveloped and I wish it were longer.

But, let’s face it, John’s last two solo efforts are under-lauded.  No shout-outs for John here.

IMHO, Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey should have combined as a single album minus Yoko’s songs.

I suspect that had John lived, he would have continued the John-Yoko pattern on all future albums.  A difference between him and Paul is that on Paul’s solo albums, Linda accompanied him.  She didn’t alternate songs with him in her own right as did Yoko.

Well, we can’t undo history especially considering that what we know is the history that John wanted to play out exactly as it did.

My closing thought:  I can’t imagine any other artist producing a so-called solo album but having another artist alternate every other track.  I mean why couldn’t Yoko just produce her own separate albums. 

Was John trying to “market” her assuming that nobody’d listen to her otherwise?

Interesting, too, that no further unreleased material has seen the light of day since then.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Milk and Honey
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 11:06:13 PM »

I actually think Double Fantasy works very well. I didnt feel ripped off when I bought it. I quite like Yoko's songs (but I'm Moving On is the only one on a playlist)
I think it works well as a joint thing, a partnership, as John always saw Yoko was an equal partner.
I've never sat down and listened to Milk & Honey, I dont really consider that John finished it, some tracks sound like demo's.
Maybe I should really listen to it.

Imagine though Loco, if John had never made DF before his death !  It wouldnt be good, at least he sounded happy and content at the end of his life.

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 01:05:07 AM »

I like the John songs on Milk and Honey, but they are underdone. Would have been good to hear a full production of them.

I think John was definitely wanting to promote Yoko. He thought music had moved in her direction (the B52s cited her as an influence on Rock Lobster) and it was her time to shine.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 02:56:19 AM »

I've always liked Nobody Told Me on Milk/Honey and I may not have ever associated it with the album it was on and with Yoko's contributions

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 06:32:43 PM »

nimrod:  Yoko holds quite a long note at the end of "I'm moving on" (DF) which she concludes with her classic warbling refrain.  I'd like to know how she thought this added to any of her songs.  I think she also did this on the Chuck Berry video with John.  I'm not gonna confirm because I don't care to experience that again.  John's songs on "Milk and Honey" are good but nothing stands out, IMO.

Moogmodule:  I have wondered what a slicker production would have accomplished for John's M & H songs.  I think they sound pretty good the way they are.  It brings to mind the question of when John would have released those songs and if the album was already tentatively titled "Milk and Honey."

blmeanie:  Yeah, I also like "Nobody told me."  The lyrics are very interesting such as:  "Always something happening and nothing going on," "There's always something cooking and nothing in the pot," "Everybody's flying and no one leaves the ground," and "Well, everybody's crying, and no one makes a sound."  What do these lyrics mean?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 06:58:30 AM »

More production doesn’t have to be slicker. It just brings out more of the songs qualities with added instrumentation etc. We often enjoy hearing rawer demos of songs we already know we like because we heard them first with full production. The question is often asked whether we would have liked them if we’d heard them in the more basic form first. With Milk and Honey perhaps we see that in action.  Maybe none stand out because they didn’t get the full production. We’re getting the raw form first.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 07:03:11 AM by Moogmodule »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 07:40:53 AM »

If John released an album with just his songs from 'Double Fantasy' and 'Milk and Honey' it would be one of the greatest albums ever.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 11:46:43 PM »

I agree with you, tkitna.  Perhaps M&H could be side 2.  Or tracks could alternate.  If a double album, Yoko's songs could be on that.  That would have been up to John.  But, no.  The way it was was the way he wanted it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 04:27:46 AM by Loco Mo »

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 52 queries.