Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Microscope: Imagine  (Read 33283 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Microscope: Imagine
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »

Agree totally.
Guess it's just that John seemed pretty lean on the singles front all round.
Twas more an observation than a criticism. ( I agree some of the greatest albums are single free...Pink Floyd, Led Zep etc)
Was Lennon doing this on purpose? But  Yoko tells that story about him fretting about not having hits like McCartney.
I can't imagine Apple weren't releasing them because of quality (didn't hold them back with George).

I see your point. However, in 1969-1971 John was quite productive on the singles market, or at least he almost maintained the rhythm of the Beatles, because he released several non-album singles. We have "Give Peace A Chance" and "Cold Turkey" in 1969; "Instant Karma!" and "Mother" in 1970; and "Power To The People", "Imagine" and "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" in 1971. Then in 1972-1975 he released less quantity of singles, but I think that's because he wasn't as productive as, say, Paul. Actually Paul usually didn't have more than one important hit per album (Band On The Run is an exception).
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »

The song "Imagine" was #1 in UK and #3 in US, and as far as I know "Jealous Guy" was not released as a single until the 80's, and it was far from being a #1.

Jealous Guy was Roxy Music's only No 1 record in the UK (and Australia)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 12:09:53 AM »

In the early 70s here in the United States, AM music radio stations were Top 40 in format.  The FM stations were album-focused and so we heard other songs on the album regularly despite not being released as singles.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 02:10:27 AM »

My goodness Cor. Your on a roll. I'll get one up asap.

Bobber

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »

Interesting that you find the strings a bit out of place occasionally on this.

Mmm, maybe not out of place, but a little overwhelming or too much here and there. I'm wondering what the songs would sound like without them. Are the strings making the songs better?

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 11:48:05 PM »

I think they do mostly, How Goes Your Kip? is maybe better without them. I think that he was into orchestrating this one.

The strings, the brass and the tarts all get a bit much occasionally. I prefer a number of John's rougher versions.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »

I'll have my review up this weekend.

Bobber

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 11:22:05 AM »

I would like to add to my review that I have been just listening to what I heard. In these and other microscopes I'm not going into detail in what was happening in the background and personal life of the artist. That's all.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »

I would like to add to my review that I have been just listening to what I heard. In these and other microscopes I'm not going into detail in what was happening in the background and personal life of the artist. That's all.

I did.
His state of mind really does seem to influence the music he makes, and I would find it hard to discuss one without the other.
I find McCartney completely the opposite. I find it impossible to find anything of the real man in most of his music. Is he depressed? Is he happy? Who knows. His state of mind appears irrelevant to say Band On The Run. It's another reason I think he is such a cold fish. (not that I think this makes his music any better or any worse. Just different from Lennons.) Conversley, I don't know how I could talk about POB without discussing Lennons head at the time. This makes him very interesting.
They really are chalk and cheese.
Can we do STINYC now please?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:45:11 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »

I did.
His state of mind really does seem to influence the music he makes, and I would find it hard to discuss one without the other.
I find McCartney completely the opposite. I find it impossible to find anything of the real man in most of his music. Is he depressed? Is he happy? Who knows. His state of mind appears irrelevant to say Band On The Run. It's another reason I think he is such a cold fish. (not that I think this makes his music any better or any worse. Just different from Lennons.) Conversley, I don't know how I could talk about POB without discussing Lennons head at the time. This makes him very interesting.
I also found it hard to separte John's personality completely from his music. Yes, Paul is quite different, he doesn't reveal much of his state of mind in his solo-work. But I wouldn't pretend that he's "a cold fish", I guess he's just more introverted and doesn't handle his emotions through music. John used music like a outlet, therefore it very much reflected his feelings, especially tourments and pains. However, John could be kind of "cold fish" outside his music, like his behaviour towards Cyn when he met Yoko.
Snoopy

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 09:02:09 PM »

I find McCartney completely the opposite. I find it impossible to find anything of the real man in most of his music. Is he depressed? Is he happy? Who knows.

Yes, Paul is quite different, he doesn't reveal much of his state of mind in his solo-work. But I wouldn't pretend that he's "a cold fish", I guess he's just more introverted and doesn't handle his emotions through music.

But every so often Paul let his feelings out...

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You (Take 1)

The released version was very tame by comparison.  I wonder if Jane Asher heard this take at the time.    ;D

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »

But every so often Paul let his feelings out...

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You (Take 1)

The released version was very tame by comparison.  I wonder if Jane Asher heard this take at the time.    ;D

This take is awesome  8) Well, Paul sounds here indeed very passionate with a strong voice. Hmm... still, I don't think it's quite the same as John. Paul's outlet is much more enthousiastic and high-spirited, unlike John.
Snoopy

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »

This take is awesome  8) Well, Paul sounds here indeed very passionate with a strong voice. Hmm... still, I don't think it's quite the same as John. Paul's outlet is much more enthousiastic and high-spirited, unlike John.
Snoopy

Yes, I agree. 

For Paul this was a major outburst!    ;D

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »

Yes, I agree. 

For Paul this was a major outburst!    ;D
Yeah, Paul was too self-controlled for big outbursts  :laugh:

Snoopy

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 04:17:11 AM »

I mean there's RAM right and it sounds all coy and poppy and dopey. It's good don't get me wrong. But I don't think there's a single song as good as nearly all that's on here.

And when the f*** are you going to do George?

Hurry the f*** up.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:22:56 AM by Yeshelloitsmehereagain »

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »

A night in with the Beatles solo:
It's 8pm, I'm having a drink, want something upbeat, something to make me happy, something to dance to...On comes Band On The Run. "The rain exploded with a mighty crash as we fell into the sun.." Right on Paul.
It's 11.00pm and the drink is kicking in. The joy is passing. I want something reflective but not morose. Something to ponder. On goes All Things Must Pass. "What is life?" What indeed George. What indeed.
2am. Hammered. Feeling sorry for myself. Don't want happiness. Want to wallow. Bring on Plastic Ono Band. "Mother, you left me, I didn't leave you..." Why? Whhhyyyyy?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:02:48 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »

ha2ha Hilarious post, Kevin. I suppose you don't remember running naked in the street at 4am with a boombox on your shoulder that had 'Ringorama' blasting out of its speakers?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »

A night in with the Beatles solo:
It's 8pm, I'm having a drink, want something upbeat, something to make me happy, something to dance to...On comes Band On The Run. "The rain exploded with a mighty crash as we fell into the sun.." Right on Paul.
It's 11.00pm and the drink is kicking in. The joy is passing. I want something reflective but not morose. Something to ponder. On goes All Things Must Pass. "What is life?" What indeed George. What indeed.
2am. Hammered. Feeling sorry for myself. Don't want happiness. Want to wallow. Bring on Plastic Ono Band. "Mother, you left me, I didn't leave you..." Why? Whhhyyyyy?

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »

I did.
Can we do STINYC now please?

I don't think you can ever take out what was going on in there personal lives at the time, the music is a mere demonstration of that, you can't really do one without the other.

That is also not to say the songs can't say something about yourself and your life either, there are a number of Beatle/solo songs that mean something other personal to me than to whatever feeling the artist was expressing at the time.

I mean Paul was alot more abstract because his feelings were alot more ambiguous anyway perhaps? But through the bouncy stoned haze of smoke the occasional line said a great deal about how he was feeling. Entire songs were maybe less so. But I mean Maybe I'm Amazed wouldn't sound out of place on Plastic Ono Band if it was John singing lead.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 04:23:03 PM »

IMAGINE

1.   Imagine – Probably John’s most famous song and one of the most famous songs ever actually. It conveys the message that people would get along better if there wasn’t any conflicts. It has a great piano sound and the his voice sounds good. The strings are nice throughout. Drums from Alan White are straight forward and don’t sound too bad. I’m petty and admit that it bothers me that John says to imagine there’s no heaven or religion. I know what he’s saying but that still bothers me. Oh well, moving on. It’s a good song, but I’ll be honest and just flat out say that I’m sick to death of it and rarely, if ever, listen to it. I’ve just heard it a million times and always change the channel or skip it if it comes on.

2.   Crippled Inside – Starts off with a pretty cool electric guitar plucking and then goes into a nice beer barrel saloon type piano line with some crisp sounding drums. Slide guitar throughout. Country sounding slide guitar solo. George? Don’t know off the top of my head. I like the song and I’ll be honest and admit I really didn’t listen to the lyrics, but John’s voice sounds good. I like the beat and the song in general. Good one.

3.   Jealous Guy – I think this is my favorite John solo song. I have always loved it. John sings this with a kind of draw that’s awesome. The piano sounds good again and I like the bass. The strings are a tad heavy, but they don’t bother me. The drums are muddy though. I guess you cant have everything. The whistling at the 2:10 mark is kind of blah, but the strings sound great here and the build up at 2:35 is incredible. What a song. Love, love, love it.

4.   Its So Hard – Straight blues beat with a crappy sounding, distorted guitar to start us off. John’s voice has an effect on it throughout. I don’t care for the sax playing much. Sounds sloppy. I like the piano addition at the .32 mark. The synth at the 1:30 mark is wild. I actually like it here. The song in general isn’t that good to me, and there’s better blues to be heard if that’s your poison.

5.   I Don’t Want To Be A Soldier Mama. I Don’t Want To Die – Some groovy piano playing with some slide guitar. Too much hi hat splashes. I don’t know. It feels like John is whining into the mike when he’s singing this. That’s probably his intent, but it gets on my nerves after awhile. Speaking of that, the song is way too long and doesn’t really do anything. At the 2:45 mark the high pitched sax comes in and reminds me of Yoko, so its not going to be a winner to my ears. I don’t care for this.

6.   Gimme Some Truth – I kind of like the beat and music to this song, but John’s complaining kind of grates on me. Would have a been a perfect song for POB in my opinion. Sounds like George again on the guitar. Did he even play on this record? I’ll have to check. The production kind of took a step backwards on this song too. Muddy. I know that doesn’t bother some people, but it’s a big pet peeve for me. Overall, its an alright song that I can handle.

7.   Oh My Love – A slow tune that has a decent guitar sound and some nice piano playing. It’s a nice enough song and its short, but its not something I would ever go back to or look for. Not much else to say really.

8.   How Do You Sleep? – I like this one. I really dig the beginning with the strings warming up and so forth. I don’t care if he’s bashing Paul or not, but his voice sounds good here. The strings, guitar, and drums all sound pretty good. It drives and I like that. Another good slide guitar solo. Good song, but it might be a little long for some.

9.   How? – String heavy song with John asking questions throughout. Drums are muddy again. The singing and lyrics are weak in some spots. Not my cup of tea. This is a typical John song. When I say that, I mean that it sounds like a half dozen of other tunes he put out. One of my criticism’s for Johns stuff is that a ton of his songs sounds the same to me. Maybe that’s just my ears though.

10.   Oh Yoko – Nice toe tapper here. Refreshing to me because it’s a happy song if nothing else. The acoustic is cool and the constant off beat bass drum is cool. The piano playing is good as usual. John’s vocals are alright. He doesn’t do anything fancy, but it sounds good. Nice song, but its painfully long.

Well, I do have to admit that I actually enjoyed listening to this album. Its been a long time. The only word I can come up with to describe how much more I like this effort then POB is “INFINITE”. The overall production is better here and John just seemed to enjoy this one more. Not a lot of grudges if you get my drift. Decent effort. A ton of strings, but they never sounded out of place except for maybe 'How?'. I'm anxious for the next one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.724 seconds with 79 queries.